What's new

Mere four per cent hike in defence budget

chantpapipart2

Reaction score
New Delhi, Feb 26 (PTI) The government today allocated Rs 1,47,344 crore towards defence in 2010-11 budget, a paltry 4 per cent increase from last year's Rs 1,41,703 crore.

Of the allocation provided, Rs 60,000 crore would go for capital expenditure, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said presenting the Budget for 2010-11 in the Lok Sabha.

The four per cent increase in real terms would amount to only Rs 5,641 crore.

Last year, the government had provided a steep hike of about 34 per cent for the defence working out to an increase of Rs 36,103 crore.

Mukherjee, however, said considering the importance of defence of the country, more funds would be provided on the basis of requirements in the future.

The defence allocation continues to hover over 2.5 per cent of the GDP, though there have been suggestions to increase it substantially in view of the prevailing security situation.

http://www.ptinews.com/news/538082_Mere-four-per-cent-hike-in-defence-budget

India's defence expenditure has been raised to Rs.147,344 crore for 2010-11, up 8.13 percent from the revised estimates of the
previous fiscal, in the budget presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the Lok Sabha Friday.

"Secure borders and security of life and property fosters development. I propose to increase the allocation for defence to Rs.147,344 crore. This would include Rs.60,000 crore for capital expenditure," Mukherjee said in his budget speech.

"Needless to say, any additional requirement for the security of the nation will be provided for," he added.

Though the expenditure has been hiked by Rs.11,080 crore, in real terms however, the hike works out to only 3.98 percent as Rs.141,703 crore had originally been allocated for 2009-10 but this was later revised to Rs.136,264 crore.

As in the past, the 1.2 million-strong Indian Army has been granted the lion's share, but at Rs.58,995 crore this Rs.439 crore lower than in revised allocation for 2009-10 and Rs.1,275 crore lower than the original allocation for the fiscal.

The Indian Navy has been allocated Rs.9,455 crore, just Rs.16 crore higher than its revised figure of Rs.9,439 crore for the previous fiscal but Rs.1,011 crore more than its original allocation of Rs.8,404 crore.

In the case of the Indian Air Force, its allocation of Rs.15,803 crore is Rs.529 crore higher than the revised allocation of Rs.15,274 crore for the previous fiscal and Rs.892 crore higher than the original figure.

Rather surprisingly, the allocation for defence ordnance factories has been slashed by Rs.1,835 crore to Rs.1,999 crore against Rs.3,834 crore in the previous fiscal.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has got a hike of Rs.881 crore to Rs.5,260 crore from its revised allocation of Rs.4,379 crore in the previous fiscal.

Guys there is a reason for increasing the budget by only 4%.Please add the 12k crores which was left unused.

:smokin:

Because you don't have economic engines like Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen.

You can have my words that next month, when we have this year's national congress, we will increase the defense budget by 12% at least.

You can have my words that next month, when we have this year's national congress, we will increase the defense budget by 12% at least.
Oh man ,get a life shchinese.We are very happy with our budget and economic growth.I'm surprised you didn't mentioned lca and arjun in this post.And i dint knew the name of your monarchy regime is congress.

The politicians have always let us down.

It is good that they have increased the budget of education by 30 % and Health by 20 %.

But the defense budget should be at least 3% of the GDP.

It takes atlest 4-6 for ordered toys induction into the forces like Aircraft career, submarines, aircraft etc.

If u place order today it will take 4-6 years in induction but they all the netas are short sighted, nuts.

We need to change these oldies who can't think out of box or unable to keep pace with the times.

:smokin:

dude, don't u have a life? Everytime something about indian defence comes up, u just come in to troll. If you can't contribute anything useful, just learn to shut up.

Chill friends.. If you compare $ price it's 20% more allocation then last year. After all maximum deals are inked in USD only.

Back
Top Bottom