Mayor of Gaziantep walks on ancient Zeugma mosaics in high heels

atatwolf

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
196230_newsdetail.jpg

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin visited the site of some 2,000-year-old mosaics on Sunday in the ancient city of Zeugma in southeast Turkey and walked on them in high-heeled shoes. (Photo: Cihan)

November 03, 2014, Monday/ 18:09:54/ TODAY'S ZAMAN / ISTANBUL

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin visited the site of some 2,000-year-old mosaics on Sunday in the ancient city of Zeugma in southeast Turkey and walked on them in high-heeled shoes, drawing much criticism.

The mayor was the target of significant disapproval for her carelessness in stepping on such important, historical pieces of art to pose for the press during the opening ceremony for three newly excavated mosaics in the ancient city hosted for members of the press and important figures. The minister of culture and tourism, the mayor of Gaziantep and representatives from İş Bankası, which provided support for the project, were among those present.

The mayor of Gaziantep and her staff amounted to 13 people who stepped on the 2,000-year-old mosaics that measure up to 10 square meters in size. Mayor Şahin spoke at the ceremony, saying: “Cultural heritage is the most important and rich treasure there is; therefore, we are very rich. We are the grandchildren of a magnificent civilization of the past.” She went on to talk about the importance of discovering and preserving these important treasures for future generations and stressing the value of having knowledge of the past to enrich the future.

196231.png

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin poses on some 2,000-year-old mosaics in high-heeled shoes. (Photo: Cihan)

Although many have been critical of the mayor, the Radikal online news portal's Ömer Erbil says the head archeologist of the excavations, Dr. Kutalmış Görkay, is the one responsible for any possible damage that may have occurred to the mosaics. He writes that the academic should not have allowed the mayor to step on the excavated artwork.

Görkay, who hosted the event to present the mosaics, said during the ceremony: “There are still parts that have not yet been excavated here, like areas with rock-carving. We have now reached one of these homes [in which the mosaics were found] and in the home there are six rooms. This year's excavations have revealed three mosaics.” Görkay pointed out that excavation season is now over due to winter weather but that the archeological team had made significant progress. He also noted that the annual budget for excavations changes every year, and that since 2005, the digs have cost nearly TL 7 million.

The archeological excavations at the ancient city of Zeugma were commissioned by the state's Zeugma Mosaic Museum, the world's largest mosaic museum, and additional support was provided by Türkiye İş Bankası. İş Bankası Corporate Communications Manager Suat Sözen remarked on the important mission they had taken on, saying: “We are going to continue to take responsibility for this mission for a while longer. I hope those who come after us will do an even better job. We first contributed financial support to the Türkiye Anıt Çevre Turizm Değerlerini Koruma [Monument and Ecological Tourism and Conservation Foundation of Turkey] in 2000 and İş Bankası is going to continue to contribute until 2017.”

The ancient town of Zeugma sits on the banks of the Euphrates River in southeast Turkey. In Greek, Zeugma means bridge. In ancient times, the town was the only point to cross the river between Anatolia and Mesopotamia for hundreds of kilometers. The city was founded by a commander under Alexander the Great around 300 B.C., Seleucus I Nicator, and was invaded and pillaged by Shapur I of the Sassanid Empire in A.D. 256.

im surprised it was allowed.....on my visits to Turkiye they take good care and pre-cautions to protect ancient historical sites

standing in ANY shoes on a piece of history -- not very good for PR. Bad judgement.

im surprised it was allowed.....on my visits to Turkiye they take good care and pre-cautions to protect ancient historical sites

standing in ANY shoes on a piece of history -- not very good for PR. Bad judgement.
They are just overreacting,look at her shoes,do they look like high heels?

Guys....

I have been in that museum. They don't even let you to touch mosaics let alone standing on them. :disagree:

But it's not majors fault, it's the archaeologists fault whom did allow her to step on it.

one set rules for civilians, another set for politicians... isn't that how it works ?

2000 years old kurdish mosaics :woot:

sorry I had to do this..

to topic..lol she is posing as if it where her own mosaics :D maybe she had a little bit to much of mayor.. it shouldn be allowed to step on it, but for me only I do not care about these old mosaics but this a another story..

7eb7ffe89a04727509f01121936a129b.jpg

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin visited the site of some 2,000-year-old mosaics on Sunday in the ancient city of Zeugma in southeast Turkey and walked on them in high-heeled shoes. (Photo: Cihan)
idont
November 03, 2014, Monday/ 18:09:54/ TODAY'S ZAMAN / ISTANBUL

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin visited the site of some 2,000-year-old mosaics on Sunday in the ancient city of Zeugma in southeast Turkey and walked on them in high-heeled shoes, drawing much criticism.

The mayor was the target of significant disapproval for her carelessness in stepping on such important, historical pieces of art to pose for the press during the opening ceremony for three newly excavated mosaics in the ancient city hosted for members of the press and important figures. The minister of culture and tourism, the mayor of Gaziantep and representatives from İş Bankası, which provided support for the project, were among those present.

The mayor of Gaziantep and her staff amounted to 13 people who stepped on the 2,000-year-old mosaics that measure up to 10 square meters in size. Mayor Şahin spoke at the ceremony, saying: “Cultural heritage is the most important and rich treasure there is; therefore, we are very rich. We are the grandchildren of a magnificent civilization of the past.” She went on to talk about the importance of discovering and preserving these important treasures for future generations and stressing the value of having knowledge of the past to enrich the future.

9dff11b49d5cd561d21353168b49fd96.png

Gaziantep Mayor Fatma Şahin poses on some 2,000-year-old mosaics in high-heeled shoes. (Photo: Cihan)

Although many have been critical of the mayor, the Radikal online news portal's Ömer Erbil says the head archeologist of the excavations, Dr. Kutalmış Görkay, is the one responsible for any possible damage that may have occurred to the mosaics. He writes that the academic should not have allowed the mayor to step on the excavated artwork.

Görkay, who hosted the event to present the mosaics, said during the ceremony: “There are still parts that have not yet been excavated here, like areas with rock-carving. We have now reached one of these homes [in which the mosaics were found] and in the home there are six rooms. This year's excavations have revealed three mosaics.” Görkay pointed out that excavation season is now over due to winter weather but that the archeological team had made significant progress. He also noted that the annual budget for excavations changes every year, and that since 2005, the digs have cost nearly TL 7 million.

The archeological excavations at the ancient city of Zeugma were commissioned by the state's Zeugma Mosaic Museum, the world's largest mosaic museum, and additional support was provided by Türkiye İş Bankası. İş Bankası Corporate Communications Manager Suat Sözen remarked on the important mission they had taken on, saying: “We are going to continue to take responsibility for this mission for a while longer. I hope those who come after us will do an even better job. We first contributed financial support to the Türkiye Anıt Çevre Turizm Değerlerini Koruma [Monument and Ecological Tourism and Conservation Foundation of Turkey] in 2000 and İş Bankası is going to continue to contribute until 2017.”

The ancient town of Zeugma sits on the banks of the Euphrates River in southeast Turkey. In Greek, Zeugma means bridge. In ancient times, the town was the only point to cross the river between Anatolia and Mesopotamia for hundreds of kilometers. The city was founded by a commander under Alexander the Great around 300 B.C., Seleucus I Nicator, and was invaded and pillaged by Shapur I of the Sassanid Empire in A.D. 256.
i have to support our mayor Fatma sahin .it is not her fault..

2000 years old kurdish mosaics :woot:

sorry I had to do this..

to topic..lol she is posing as if it where her own mosaics :D maybe she had a little bit to much of mayor.. it shouldn be allowed to step on it, but for me only I do not care about these old mosaics but this a another story..
You mean my 5000 years of Kurdish history.
Did you know the Sumerians,Aryans and Aliens were Kurdish?
Just like how the whole world is Armenia and how Argentina is white

You mean my 5000 years of Kurdish history.
Did you know the Sumerians,Aryans and Aliens were Kurdish?
Just like how the whole world is Armenia and how Argentina is white
I think Kurdish history is older than the 5000 years since they haven't changed since the caveman days.

Back
Top Bottom