What's new

Massive floods across Pakistan | Thousands Killed

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Aug 2, 2010 (AFP) - Flash floods triggered by torrential monsoon rains have killed up to 1,500 people in Pakistan, a government minister in the northwest told reporters on Monday.

"There are 774 deaths registered with us, but the total number killed in the flood is 1,200 to 1,500," Mian Iftikhar Hussain, information minister of northwest province Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, told a news conference in Peshawar.

"There are 129 people still missing," he added.

Pakistan's largest charity, the Edhi Foundation, and a northwest cabinet minister had earlier put the death toll at more than 1,200.

Officials in other provinces who earlier gave a combined death toll of 128 effectively pushed the overall nationwide toll to more than 1,300.

-----------------------------------------

Chinese embassy, EU donate funds
ISLAMABAD – Setting a unique example for fellow missions to follow, diplomats and staff members of Chinese Embassy in Islamabad have raised Rs0.6 million and donated it to the affectees of flood-hit zone in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The move, which is indeed praise-worthy, is evident that people of China and Pakistan are above government-to-government contact and share the bond of deep love and friendship.
According to a press note issued by the Chinese Embassy late Saturday, diplomats and staff members of the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Islamabad voluntarily donated Rs600,000 to the people in the flood-inflicted areas in Kyhber Pakhtunkhwa to express their sympathies and solidarity in this moment of trial.
Recently, floods in Pakistan caused by monsoon rains have claimed heavy casualties in the country, with the northwestern Pakistan as the worst hit area. In view of the situation and as a good-will gesture to their Pakistani brothers and sisters, Chinese diplomats and staff members at the embassy voluntarily donated Rs600,000. It is pertinent to mention here that Chinese Ambassador Liu Jian traveled to Kyhber Pakhtunkhwa and met with local officials dealing with the flood Emergency. The ambassador expressed his condolences to the victims of the flood and his gratitude to the Pakistan government and people for their help in evacuating the flood-stranded Chinese workers and searching for the missing.
Liu handed over the donation and requested that it be immediately passed on to the flood-afflicted people.
AFP adds - Meanwhile, the European Commission has given 30 million euros in humanitarian aid to help the most needy in Pakistan, including those hit by flooding that has killed at least 800 people.
A pres statement issued by the EU Commission said, “The European Commission has adopted a 30-million-euro (39-million-dollar) humanitarian aid decision to assist the most vulnerable people in Pakistan in urgent need of help.”
“Pakistan has been hit by terrible floods and more rain is forecast. Our thoughts are with those affected by them,” Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva was quoted as saying. “I am pleased that our decision to provide new humanitarian funding for the most vulnerable people in Pakistan will also be able to benefit the people, who have suffered from this disaster,” he furt China will deliver humanitarian aid worth 10 million yuan (1.48 million U.S. dollars) to flood-ravaged Pakistan, China's Ministry of Commerce (MOC) announced Sunday.

The charitable assistance was offered to help Pakistan' s government fight the flooding and rescue victims, the MOC said in a brief statement posted on its website.

The Pakistan government kicked off an emergency rescue and relief operation on July 30 after declaring an emergency in the flood-struck northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP).

The US and UN are both donating $10 Million. The EU is donating $30 Million and the people of Pakistan along with NGOs are doing all they can.
I'd like to clear up a common misperception. The U.S. President can't just donate whatever amount he wants for whatever purpose; the U.S. Congress holds the purse strings. As I understand it the president can authorize up to $10 million in foreign disaster relief right away; anything more requires an allocation from Congress. I guess that could happen in the next few weeks. That is how it worked after the Haiti disaster last year.

This restriction is a bit loose in the sense that U.S. military activities and supplies can be temporarily directed towards disaster relief, as Pakistanis themselves experienced only a few years ago.

Any other political types saying or doing anything useful while Zardari is busy touring Paris? Nawaz? Mushy?
Well they might not be doing anything but Pakistan Armed Forces are working hard around the clock to rescue survivors.Pakistan Air Force, Army & Navy is participating in SAR Missions.General Kayani also personally visited Swat.
2082.jpg

US relief goods for KP flood affectees reach at Chaklala Air Base

RAWALPINDI, Aug 2 (APP): The United States here Monday provided relief
goods including ready-meal packets for the flood and torrential rain affected people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

A US Aircraft, carrying 62000 packets of cooked meals, landed here at Chaklala Air Base.

Well they might not be doing anything but Pakistan Armed Forces are working hard around the clock to rescue survivors.Pakistan Air Force, Army & Navy is participating in SAR Missions.General Kayani also personally visited Swat.
2082.jpg
Kayani doesn't make as much of an impression on me as does the staff sergeant in the center of the picture. Look at the expression on his face. I might be wrong of course, but to me that is the expression of a man who is listening carefully and attempting to grasp the huge and sad human magnitude of the disaster and trying to think of what he can do about it. What kind of country would Pakistan become if such men were elected to public office?

Dear Pakistani brothers :

I am your Chinese brothers ,This is the I first time visit ,The reason heard that Pakistan has the flood ,I worry very much ,China has many friends many to want to donate for Pakistani brothers ,But actually did not know how to donate ,Hoped that Pakistani brothers can come China to solicit donations ,The Chinese will be generous will help Pakistani brothers ,This is I first time comes also possibly is the last time ,The hope can see in China you solicit donations method or mass organization ,The Chinese fraternity is glad to give money generously very much helps Pakistani brothers 。

Most hard Chinese brothers :china:

Last edited:
Kayani doesn't make as much of an impression on me as does the staff sergeant in the center of the picture. Look at the expression on his face. I might be wrong of course, but to me that is the expression of a man who is listening carefully and attempting to grasp the huge and sad human magnitude of the disaster and trying to think of what he can do about it. What kind of country would Pakistan become if such men were elected to public office?

His Rank is Major
File:Major_Pak_Army.jpg
, but that is not important. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Well they might not be doing anything

Zardari is off to Paris to use yet another opportuniy to fill his purse while Musharraf will perhaps just contend with condolences to make a point.

Nawaz has visited a lot of places. Also, Shahbaz is going around worst-hit places since yesterday. It's hard to keep pace with him right now.

Back
Top Bottom