What's new

Massive electricity price increase adds to inflation-hit Pakistanis woes

LeGenD

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – Pakistani government has added to the woes of inflation-weary people already bearing the brunt of record inflation by approving a massive increase in base tariffs of electricity.

Federal cabinet gives final nod with a circulation summary after Nepra proposed to raise electricity prices earlier this month.

With the latest surge, the base tariff of electricity increased by up to Rs7.50 per unit, which will add thousands in electricity bills every month.

The top slab of tax increase is for those power consumers who are using between 450-700 units per month. The new rates will take effect from July 1 as government issues a notification following a decision by National Electric Power Regulatory Authority.

The recent taxes allowed the government to shift the burden of power subsidy as IMF called on the government to raise power tariff along with other measures.

Electric tarrifs.png

The government continues to make electricity more expensive for the consumers. The government will not stop spending billions on buying new cars and giving electricity for free to numerous corrupt LESCO officers but will transfer this cost to general consumers.

Many had to pay hefty sums to LESCO in the previous year. Now people know better and have reduced use of AC in summer so the government continues to make electricity more expensive for the masses. This damned country is being run to serve the privileged few.

With very costly electricity, consumption goes down drastically. Thus making capacity payments even more costly per unit. A vicious circle. Add refusal to pay bills and electricity theft and you have a clusterfukc at your hands. Your power sector is being bankrupted.

ISLAMABAD – Pakistani government has added to the woes of inflation-weary people already bearing the brunt of record inflation by approving a massive increase in base tariffs of electricity.

Federal cabinet gives final nod with a circulation summary after Nepra proposed to raise electricity prices earlier this month.

With the latest surge, the base tariff of electricity increased by up to Rs7.50 per unit, which will add thousands in electricity bills every month.

The top slab of tax increase is for those power consumers who are using between 450-700 units per month. The new rates will take effect from July 1 as government issues a notification following a decision by National Electric Power Regulatory Authority.

The recent taxes allowed the government to shift the burden of power subsidy as IMF called on the government to raise power tariff along with other measures.

View attachment 940368

The government continues to make electricity more expensive for the consumers. The government will not stop spending billions on buying new cars and giving electricity for free to numerous corrupt LESCO officers but will transfer this cost to general consumers.

Many had to pay hefty sums to LESCO in the previous year. Now people know better and have reduced use of AC in summer so the government continues to make electricity more expensive for the masses. This damned country is being run to serve the privileged few.
What's the increase in percentage terms ?

View attachment 940368

As usage goes down the burden on the remaining users rises. What a brutal cycle but a nation gets what it deserves.

There is no effective goverment in Pakistan - it is by all measures - elite captured bananna republic ..

View attachment 940368

But why not Pakistanis don't go for roof top solar? I got a 5 kw solar plant for my farm house in India. I got it for 2.6 lakhs INR after subsidy. It generates on average 620 units a month. It is grid connected so I am selling my excess power back to grid. I don't have to worry about monthly power bills ever. Although electricity is not that unaffordable even through the grid.

But why not Pakistanis don't go for roof top solar? I got a 5 kw solar plant for my farm house in India. I got it for 2.6 lakhs INR after subsidy. It generates on average 620 units a month. It is grid connected so I am selling my excess power back to grid. I don't have to worry about monthly power bills ever. Although electricity is not that unaffordable even through the grid.

Very costly in Pakistan, unfortunately.

Everybody wants to loot in this country.

Focus on this people- cheap electricity(coal , nuclear, hydro) is one thing (and it's important) but our issue is much more fundamental than that

"Quoting 70% capacity payments is a tactic to hide high taxes, 30% theft in distribution & bills collection

If 🇵🇰🇵🇰 had 30,000MW nuclear power plants to generate electricity:

- Capacity payments would have been Rs2.5 trillion

- Variable cost to generate 130Bn units would have been Rs0.15 trillion

Capacity payments would have been 94% of the cost but base tariff would have been Rs24/unit

Dont let them divert your attention from the real reason of high electricity bills: theft & pathetic bill collection"

Good, should increase by more than 200 PKR per unit.

With very costly electricity, consumption goes down drastically. Thus making capacity payments even more costly per unit. A vicious circle. Add refusal to pay bills and electricity theft and you have a clusterfukc at your hands. Your power sector is being bankrupted.

they have promised Chinese IPPs payments at high rates, Thanks to secret documents signed during CPEC. the turds deserve what they get.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom