What's new

Manipur more a colony of India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear xeric ,

What exactly is the purpose of this thread ? I am asking you this question because being a think tank i am sure you did not open this thread just to score points over the Indians .

I will give you an assessment of my own experience with Manipuris . The place is not heaves . There is heavy military presence and there are many armed insurgents as well however violence has gone down considerably in the last few years .

Another thing to note is that most of the killings that take place in manipur or infact the entire north east does not even involve the army but most of them happen due to in-fighting between rebels/terrorists.

Unlike kashmir , the separatists in manipur dont have much support from the public . the public despises them infact they can hardly be called separatists anymore , thye are more like criminals who have got into the business of kidnapping and extortion and made the life of common manipuris hell .

Human rights violations have been reported from Manipur due to heavy military presence there so military is not much loved by the people there either.

My interaction with common Manipuris has made me believe that some of them are very pro india while some are anti India and some dont care at all but just want progress however it comes , even if it is under the Indian govt. Trust me most seem to belong to the third group .

In the last few years Manipuris just like other people from North-east have started to enter the main-stream because the younger ones are very chilled out in life , they come here in places like delhi , bombay , bangalore etc , study here , find jobs and settle down .
If you have been following the Indian sports scene some of the most important names have come from the North-east particulary from Manipur .Eg: Mary kom

since most people from Manipur are Hindus they still feel religious affinity with India , the differences are mainly because of the race .Even in Northern India they have to face some racist comments from some people like chinky etc . which has caused some resentment amongst them . The good thing is they dont face much of it in other parts outside Northern India.

The positive thing is that they have started to enter the main stream and now you can find them in all major cities , colleges and offices of India , that is why the racism because they seem new to us as before the last decade we hardly used to see any of them around . They only used to live in their own states. it is expected that with growing education , awareness and a little more time we will begin to understand each other better and the differences will reduce.

The point to be noted is that yes Manipur is a troubled state but it can not be compares to something like say kashmir mainly because the support for separatism is limited in Manipur though it is still somwehat signifact unlike the valley where most are pro indipendence and the separatist groups are also despised in manipur unlike Kashmir where geelani is considered some sort of a Hero .Secondly Most terror related deaths happen due to in-githing between groups rather than fighting between army and rebels/terrorists .

And another thing to be noted is that the violence has gone down considerably in the last few years and they have begun in a major way to enter the Indian mainstream.situation looks much more positive today than it has ever been but it is still probably the most troubled northeastern state of India.

This accroding to me is a realistic assessment of the situation in Manipur .

Manipur is no Kashmir , but troubled it is indeed .

one little thing more , you may keep hearing newspapers telling you that there are more 30 or so militant groups in manipur but the truth is ( and you will know after extensive research) that most of them are defunct and inactive now. Only 7 or 8 prominent ones remain and even in those 7 or 8 some groups have as few as 100 odd members .

india specific; though as a Pakistani i wont claim ''Manipur'' is a disputed territory. Nor is Baluchistan.

I was referring to the ''K-bomb'' but I merely point that out since someone mentioned AFSPA ---whose existence you as 'democratic' indian should be ashamed about

Oops. I thought pakistan too is democratic.

I don't know if you are mocking at democracy or Indians.

In my personal opinion, AFSPA is essential to control the armed millitants and serves as a first step towards national integration (which some people don't want to happen).

In early 50's Tamil Nadu ( my home state) wanted greater autonomy and Hyderabad was a disputed territory ( I don't know if it still remains in UN agenda). Now, hyderabad & chennai (capital of tamil nadu) are top destinations for IT services.

Oops. I thought pakistan too is democratic.

I don't know if you are mocking at democracy or Indians.

In my personal opinion, AFSPA is essential to control the armed millitants and serves as a first step towards national integration (which some people don't want to happen).

a failed strategy

So now Manipur has become a disputed territory ? ;)

Man, we Indians are so lucky to have Pakistanis thinking about and caring about us when their own house is on fire and almost inextinguishably so. :rolleyes:

But guess what , if this schadenfreude comforts them in their dark hours, why bother to deny them that ?

a failed strategy

yes failed indeed considering the fact that there are 2 or 3 bomb blasts everyday in India and hundreds die in it...we cant even go out of house because of that...poor us with our AFSPA...

yes failed indeed considering the fact that there are 2 or 3 bomb blasts everyday in India and hundreds die in it...we cant even go out of house because of that...poor us with our AFSPA...

i regularly update the india insurgency thread with news updates; consider a trip to that thread at some point and tell me if this strategy of yours is working

sure as hell aint working in occupied Kashmir, am quite certain of that

i regularly update the india insurgency thread with news updates; consider a trip to that thread at some point and tell me if this strategy of yours is working

sure as hell aint working in occupied Kashmir, am quite certain of that

thousands of kashmiri youth join Indian forces every year :) so AFSPA is not that infamous here :)

Dear xeric ,

What exactly is the purpose of this thread ? I am asking you this question because being a think tank i am sure you did not open this thread just to score points over the Indians .

Ask this from The Hindu.

This is an open forum, we discuss here whatever we like. A defence related site which has 'india' as a subject wont mind discussing indian terrorism issues more than the indian find it necessary to discuss its neighbors.

I will give you an assessment of my own experience with Manipuris . The place is not heaves . There is heavy military presence and there are many armed insurgents as well however violence has gone down considerably in the last few years .

Another thing to note is that most of the killings that take place in manipur or infact the entire north east does not even involve the army but most of them happen due to in-fighting between rebels/terrorists.

Unlike kashmir , the separatists in manipur dont have much support from the public . the public despises them infact they can hardly be called separatists anymore , thye are more like criminals who have got into the business of kidnapping and extortion and made the life of common manipuris hell .

Human rights violations have been reported from Manipur due to heavy military presence there so military is not much loved by the people there either.

My interaction with common Manipuris has made me believe that some of them are very pro india while some are anti India and some dont care at all but just want progress however it comes , even if it is under the Indian govt. Trust me most seem to belong to the third group .

In the last few years Manipuris just like other people from North-east have started to enter the main-stream because the younger ones are very chilled out in life , they come here in places like delhi , bombay , bangalore etc , study here , find jobs and settle down .
If you have been following the Indian sports scene some of the most important names have come from the North-east particulary from Manipur .Eg: Mary kom

since most people from Manipur are Hindus they still feel religious affinity with India , the differences are mainly because of the race .Even in Northern India they have to face some racist comments from some people like chinky etc . which has caused some resentment amongst them . The good thing is they dont face much of it in other parts outside Northern India.

The positive thing is that they have started to enter the main stream and now you can find them in all major cities , colleges and offices of India , that is why the racism because they seem new to us as before the last decade we hardly used to see any of them around . They only used to live in their own states. it is expected that with growing education , awareness and a little more time we will begin to understand each other better and the differences will reduce.

The point to be noted is that yes Manipur is a troubled state but it can not be compares to something like say kashmir mainly because the support for separatism is limited in Manipur though it is still somwehat signifact unlike the valley where most are pro indipendence and the separatist groups are also despised in manipur unlike Kashmir where geelani is considered some sort of a Hero .Secondly Most terror related deaths happen due to in-githing between groups rather than fighting between army and rebels/terrorists .

And another thing to be noted is that the violence has gone down considerably in the last few years and they have begun in a major way to enter the Indian mainstream.situation looks much more positive today than it has ever been but it is still probably the most troubled northeastern state of India.

This accroding to me is a realistic assessment of the situation in Manipur .

Manipur is no Kashmir , but troubled it is indeed .

one little thing more , you may keep hearing newspapers telling you that there are more 30 or so militant groups in manipur but the truth is ( and you will know after extensive research) that most of them are defunct and inactive now. Only 7 or 8 prominent ones remain and even in those 7 or 8 some groups have as few as 100 odd members .

Now that's more like a response. Atleast, i am happy to see (may be) the first time that an indian member can also talk sense. See, it wont hurt if one would like to discuss and then clear up his position on the issue. And BTW, this indeed was the purpose of the thread.

Ask this from The Hindu.

This is an open forum, we discuss here whatever we like. A defence related site which has 'india' as a subject wont mind discussing indian terrorism issues more than the indian find it necessary to discuss its neighbors.

Now that's more like a response. Atleast, i am happy to see (may be) the first time that an indian member can also talk sense. See, it wont hurt if one would like to discuss and then clear up his position on the issue. And BTW, this indeed was the purpose of the thread.

Haha , you got me wrong there , i just asked you the purpose of the thread , you almost started giving me a justification there .

Anyways , I hope my post was taken seriously and has helped you in understanding the situation a bit better .

Ha ha ha...? ..what?

Why you people always start feeling insecure or go possessive on certain things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom