What's new

Malaysia to go Nuclear.

RAPTOR

Reaction score
Malaysia needs nuclear power: official
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 9 (AFP) Aug 09, 2006

Malaysia has to turn to nuclear power as an alternative source of electricity for its rapidly growing economy, an official from a nuclear agency said.

Noramly Muslim, the chairman of the Malaysian Nuclear Licensing Board, said Malaysia would need at least two nuclear reactors, state Bernama news agency reported.
He said nuclear energy was seen as the best alternative to depleting oil and gas, Malaysia's main fuels for power generation.
"To develop a nuclear reactor, we need some 15 years. Indonesia has already started its nuclear program in the 1960s," Noramly said.
He added the government planned on using nuclear energy to generate power after 2020 but that the schedule could be accelerated.
Noramly said that Indonesia and Thailand will be using nuclear energy in 2016 and 2018 respectively.
In July the government indicated that Malaysia could turn to nuclear power to reduce its dependence on oil.
Bernama quoted the deputy vice-chancellor of a Malaysian university, Sukiman Sarmani, as saying scientists in the country were just waiting for the "green light" from the government to jump-start a nuclear program.
"I don't think Malaysia will face opposition from the global community. Our case and Iran's are different. Our uranium enrichment process might be done in another country and then imported," Sukiman said.
"Whether we like it or not, the world would have to depend on nuclear from 2020 onwards until 2070," he said.
Sukiman said the government was also developing technology to harness wind and solar power to produce electricity by 2050 or 2070.
Malaysia is an oil-exporter, but in June Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the era of "cheap oil" was over and that the world faced an energy crisis as emerging economies and developed nations competed for scarce resources.
Malaysia had promoted the use of natural gas to reduce dependence on oil under a fuel diversification policy started in 1981. Coal and hydroelectric power are the other main sources of electricity.

All rights reserved. © 2005 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.

Will the Malaysians be allowed? They should prepare for an uphill struggle... Strong resolves would pay off.

If they have IAEA control over the reactors, I find no reason why they cannot have one.

Salim said:
If they have IAEA control over the reactors, I find no reason why they cannot have one.
Malaysia is an establishment, moderate and calm with a very stable government.
I see no problem in going nuclear under IAEA safeguard.

i have no objection with that... after all is better than burning coal....

Why not and why the heck this IAEA safeguard???? After all the big powersd are already spreading nukes for own intrests.

airbus said:
Another muslim nation.......

hmmm yeh and another war on terror or may be another evil state in the making as per Islamphobia phenomenon

airbus said:
Another muslim nation.......

What do you mean by another muslim nation, could ya express it plzzzz, so we could debate on it.

Eleborate it!!!

Mel dear are you sleepin ???? if not thn he means another Muslim nation trying to go nulcear.

i have no objection with that... after all is better than burning coal....

indeed, its a cleaner form of energy for Malaysia and its huge economy.Malaysia is a stable country with high economic growth, it needs a stable and cheap source of energy.

Back
Top Bottom