What's new

Malala Yousafzai's book banned by private schools in Pakistan

Pakistani private schools ban Malala's book, accuse her of 'representing the West'
Published November 10, 2013
Associated Press
Fox News

ISLAMABAD – Pakistani education officials said Sunday that they have banned teenage activist Malala Yousafzai's book from private schools across the country, claiming it doesn't show enough respect for Islam and calling her a tool of the West.

Malala attracted global attention last year when the Taliban shot her in the head in northwest Pakistan for criticizing the group's interpretation of Islam, which limits girls' access to education. Her profile has risen steadily since then, and she released a memoir in October, "I Am Malala," that was co-written with British journalist Christina Lamb.

While Malala has become a hero to many across the world for opposing the Taliban and standing up for girls' education, conspiracy theories have flourished in Pakistan that her shooting was staged to create a hero for the West to embrace.

Adeeb Javedani, president of the All Pakistan Private Schools Management Association, said his group banned Malala's book from the libraries of its 40,000 affiliated schools and called on the government to bar it from school curriculums.

"Everything about Malala is now becoming clear," Javedani said. "To me, she is representing the West, not us."

Kashif Mirza, the chairman of the All Pakistan Private Schools Federation, said his group also has banned Malala's book in its affiliated schools.

Malala "was a role model for children, but this book has made her controversial," Mirza said. "Through this book, she became a tool in the hands of the Western powers."

He said the book did not show enough respect for Islam because it mentioned Prophet Muhammad's name without using the abbreviation PUH — "peace be upon him" — as is customary in many parts of the Muslim world. He also said it spoke favorably of author Salman Rushdie, who angered many Muslims with his book "The Satanic Verses," and Ahmadis, members of a minority sect that have been declared non-Muslims under Pakistani law.

In her reference to Rushdie, Malala said in the book that her father saw "The Satanic Verses" as "offensive to Islam but believes strongly in the freedom of speech."

"First, let's read the book and then why not respond with our own book," the book quoted her father as saying.

Malala mentioned in the book that Pakistan's population of 180 million people includes more than 2 million Ahmadis, "who say they are Muslim though our government says they are not."

"Sadly those minority communities are often attacked," the book said, referring also to Pakistan's 2 million Christians.

The conspiracy theories around Malala reflect the level of influence that right-wing Islamists sympathetic to the Taliban have in Pakistan. They also reflect the poor state of education in Pakistan, where fewer than half the country's children ever complete a basic, primary education.

Millions of children attend private school throughout the country because of the poor state of the public system.

The Taliban blew up scores of schools and discouraged girls from getting an education when they took over the Swat Valley, where Malala lived, several years ago. The army staged a large ground offensive in Swat in 2009 that pushed many militants out of the valley, but periodic attacks still occur. The mastermind of the attack on Malala, Mullah Fazlullah, recently was appointed the new head of the Pakistani Taliban after the former chief was killed in a U.S. drone strike.

Cant find a copy online , mate ! If you have it , Emmie , seriously , just paste the relevant parts with page numbers so that we can all understand what the heck went wrong where . There's no such about Americans being angels . I was told that she considers Rushdie's book against Islam but will bear with it because of " freedom of speech " . Is it true ? Why did her father do so , any reason she mentions ?

Comments on Rushdi............ Page 28

Armband that her father wore.... Page 33

Just read first few pages you'd get the drift.

Link to her book below.

http://pakistanifun.com/wp-content/...aniFun.comMalala-Yousafzai-Christina-Lamb.pdf 
I was just curious to know about the contents in the book which are averse to Pakistani national interest & against Islam. I'm yet to see any credible post in that regard from the members in this thread. Your post suggests it's more to do with the credibility of the author rather than the content.

Read her book if you are that curious. I am sorry I can't recapitulate the entire book for you.

Here's the link - http://pakistanifun.com/wp-content/...aniFun.comMalala-Yousafzai-Christina-Lamb.pdf

Where's the proof ? If you point out to her book or interviews or documentaries , then get me the exact citations or references from them , its a very convenient way to malign/character assassinate a person by declaring that he/she wrote/acted against " Islam " or committed " blasphemy " . Innocent until proven guilty , that girl is . Get me the proof/evidence ! :azn:

@Dillinger @jaibi @Armstrong @Alpha1 @Informant @Capt.Popeye @Capt.Popeye @Slav Defence Right criteria and approach ?
No.
Secur,mate....
First of all,we need to understand the policy of education system.
While making policy and arranging curriculum,they assure that:
-Book/extract from the book should not speak against figures.
-The content must not be anti-Pakistan,anti-Islam etc
-The character sketch of authors are not represented neutrally but positively.

Now If Malala's book is not fulfilling the above criteria,then I have nothing to say,however if critics are reasoning and persisting to ban this book because:
-Malala is not a good student.
-She is planted,because her marks were not even good,and because of her being a bad student,she is working for CIA,then I do beg to differ and as secur has asked of this being a right approach,then I will say 'No' a big 'No'.
Why?
Because our curriculum also covers figures in Urdu literature class 10th to intermediate of controversial figures such as 'Sadat Hussein Mantoo' and 'asmat Chughtai'
-mantoo,well known for his characterlessness as defined by Ashfaq Ahmed himself and who died because of excessive drinking,and Miss.Chughtai who got divorce due to her vulgar write-ups,our education system has extracted their useful write-ups out of useless,and defined them as first writers of 'sex'
I ask you,what kind of justice is that,if you are talking of character,then by character,Mantoo was not good,then why his write up was introduced?
Following your concept,if you all are judging writer worthy by character,where mantoo fits in??
If we can extract useful write-up from mantoo's,then why not Malala's analysis,if it is not contrary to Islam?her analysis against TTP!we can atleast use them for some random presentation rather then entire book!!!!!
Okay,now coming to their second point,that Malala is not a good student,that doesn't mean that she lacks leadership qualities.
As Bilgates,inventor of Microsoft program..is himself just a an average student,however he proudly say that gold medalists and topped studies are doing job in his company.
Now,if anyone has read the book,I REQUEST them to post photos of that page in which she supported Rushdie rather then referencing analysis of random authors,if this is true,then I assure you that we will accept it.
We don't have intention to go against Islam nor the matter is of our ego,if you have proof,show it...we will accept it,I assure that...However,we don't believes in conspiracy theories against any figure.

Read her book if you are that curious. I am sorry I can't recapitulate the entire book for you.

Here's the link - http://pakistanifun.com/wp-content/...aniFun.comMalala-Yousafzai-Christina-Lamb.pdf

I just fail to understand... what part of this is endorsing Rushdie's views or talking in his favor or being anti-Islam? If any... it presents Islam in a better light.

My father’s college held a heated debate in a packed room. Many students argued that the book
should be banned and burned and the fatwa upheld. My father also saw the book as offensive to Islam
but believes strongly in freedom of speech. ‘First, let’s read the book and then why not respond with
our own book,’ he suggested. He ended by asking in a thundering voice my grandfather would have
been proud of, ‘Is Islam such a weak religion that it cannot tolerate a book written against it? Not my
Islam!’

Just read her book - it's all about Malala and her father are as brave as lion. Americans/westerners are torch bearer of peace and Pakistanis are the ones who destroy the peace.

The question I am asking is why she made comments on things which are not related to her in any way. What is she trying to put up while writing it proudly that her father wore a black armband on golden jubilee of Pakistan?
y did he do dat?:what:

I just fail to understand... what part of this is endorsing Rushdie's views or talking in his favor or being anti-Islam? If any... it presents Islam in a better light.

Pal, none of my post turned to what you want me to elaborate. Didn't I tell I don't give a wooden nickle to most of the contents of her book. 
y did he do dat?:what:

Because according to her father Swat had only suffered ever since it merged with Pakistan.

Pal, none of my post turned to what you want me to elaborate. Didn't I tell I don't give a wooden nickle to most of the contents of her book. 

Because according to her father Swat had only suffered ever since it merged with Pakistan.
where was swat wid b4 then?

My father ’s college held a heated debate in a packed room . Many students argued that the book should be banned and burned and the fatwa upheld. My father also saw the book as offensive to Islam but believes strongly in freedom of speech . ‘First , let’s read the book and then why not respond with our own book ,’ he suggested. He ended by asking in a thundering voice my grandfather would have been proud of , ‘Is Islam such a weak religion that it cannot tolerate a book written against it? Not my Islam ! ’ - Excerpt from I am Malala .

@Emmie That is what she comments about her father in the book about " Satanic verses " by Rushdie . Does this sound wrong somehow ? Is Islam really that weak ? Is somehow burning property better than writing counter books ?

Last edited:
Fair enough... that explains!

My father ’s college held a heated debate in a packed room . Many students argued that the book should be banned and burned and the fatwa upheld. My father also saw the book as offensive to Islam but believes strongly in freedom of speech . ‘First , let’s read the book and then why not respond with our own book ,’ he suggested. He ended by asking in a thundering voice my grandfather would have been proud of , ‘Is Islam such a weak religion that it cannot tolerate a book written against it? Not my Islam ! ’ - Excerpt from I am Malala .

@Emmie That is what she comments about her father in the book about " Satanic verses " . Does this sound wrong somehow ? Is Islam really that weak ? Is somehow burning property better than writing counter books ?
This recalles me of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan who sold his library and travelled to London to respond William Moore's book in which consisted of anti-Islamic content.
Sir Seed Ahmed Khan responded by writing Book.
This is what we are taught by professors/teachers proudly in our schools,I ask you,why we are not implementing same scenario here??

@Emmie That is what she comments about her father in the book about " Satanic verses " . Does this sound wrong somehow ? Is Islam really that weak ? Is somehow burning property better than writing counter books ?

This is what never argued in this thread! I believe I am not worthy to make comment on this, it's all about between her father and God. However I do believe there was no need of making this comment, it's highly controversial and absolutely not needed.

federation of private schools in Pakistan which said it would have a "negative" impact on students

Cowardly school administration this is what they are teaching students ... providing Haram education

This is what never argued in this thread! I believe I am not worthy to make comment on this, it's all about between her father and God. However I do believe there was no need of making this comment, it's highly controversial and absolutely not needed.

I agree with this thing to a certain extent , there was actually no need for her to say that , but she's just sharing a story about her father , we all do , but it does presents Islam in a better light .

This recalles me of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan who sold his library and travelled to London to respond William Moore's book in which consisted of anti-Islamic content.
Sir Seed Ahmed Khan responded by writing Book.
This is what we are taught by professors/teachers proudly in our schools,I ask you,why we are not implementing same scenario here??

PRECISELY ! :D Fight them with logic , not burn and loot properties and disrupt lives and wage Jihad inside the state itself . Therein lies the problem , Monsieur Bond .

book did not show enough respect for Islam because it mentioned Prophet Muhammad’s name without using the abbreviation PBUH – “peace be upon him” – as is customary in every parts of the Muslim world. it spoke favourably of author Salman Rushdie, who angered many Muslims with his book “The Satanic Verses,” and Ahmadis, members of a minority sect that have been declared non-Muslims under Pakistani law.

Is it against the law in Pakistan to refer to Prophet Mohammed without using PBUH prefix?

Back
Top Bottom