What's new

MADE IN UAE

November 2013

Global_Yabhon640.jpg

The UAE is about to end development of a heavy HALE drone, which will compete with the U.S. Global Hawk

The Air Force of the United Arab Emirates will soon have a new shock drone - the largest of the Emirates writes the military publication Jane's

Global Yabhon was represented at the air show in Dubai. The apparatus is designed by the local military-industrial company ADCOM Systems. The creators of the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) called it the rival to American RQ-4 Global Hawk made by Northrop Grumman.

The wingspan of the Global Yabhon is 26 m, length - 18 m, height - 5 m to reduce the weight of his body, it is made of composite materials based on carbon fiber. The empty weight of the drone is 3.5 tonnes, while it can carry up to 6.5 tons of payload. The UAV endurance is up to 40 hours without refueling..

According to the chief designer of the project, Ali al-Daher, Global Yabhon is even more advanced than the American drone, to which it is compared.

"With the maximum lifting weight of 10 tons of our UAV, it can carry a lot more than the Global Hawk.Additionally, Global Hawk is equipped with only two opto-electronic (infrared) and radar surveillance systems, Global Yabhon has opto-electronic system and external load. "- said the chief designer

On the fuselage of the aircraft and its rear wing there are attachment points for 18 different types of weapons. On the model shown at the air show, there were two small missiles "air - surface» Namrod, two cruise missiles Yabhon Thunder with a radius of 240 km and two torpedoes.

"All ammunition, except torpedoes Italian production, are produced by ADCOM Systems. The company also is developing its own torpedoes that will be compatible with the Global Yabhon."

The Designer said also that integration tests of the Emirates torpedoes will begin in six months

The UAV can be used across a broad range of applications, both military - intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, precision strike, and civil - for example, air patrols of the state border and coast, as well as extended infrastructure monitoring .

Global Yabhon develops on the concepts of United-40 UAV, created by ADCOM Systems in 2011. Russian Defense Ministry plans to buy a limited batch of these vehicles, reported in July 2013 RIA "Novosti", citing an anonymous source in the military-industrial complex.

"We are talking about at least two complexes of United-Block-40 version5 with ADCOM Systems company", - said the source.

Developing Global Yabhon is unique not only for the UAE but also globally, said Russian world expert on unmanned systems Denis Fedutinov .

At the moment in the world, high altitude long-endurance UAV (class HALE) exist only in the U.S. (Global Hawk), although it is also being developed in China (Xiang Long). Available in Israel Eitan and projected Telemos in Europe are also heavy UAV, but only close to this class and still more are categorized as MALE (medium-high), "- said the expert.

Development of Global Yabhon was conducted by an international team in the UAE ADCOM, but when creating UAV in general, foreign-made components and expertise are widely used, believes Fedutinov.

"The work on systems of this class is associated with significant labor and financial costs. Moreover, the ultimate cost of such systems for customers, as well as their operational cost is quite high, "- said the expert.

982200071_0:137:2048:1298_600x0_80_0_0_582a5d1eadfe8aff752e96bc6c172792.jpg

Nice haven't thought of an anti-submarine uav but have thought of one that can use small torpedoes like the Sea Venom or even larger ones like the naval strike missiles. I was told that they would be effective against small ships like fast attack craft and small corvette type. It would really help the Saudis or UAE to be able to engage Iran's small ships remotely and effectively with the Sea Venom only weighing about 240 pounds and can sink up to 1000 tons ship.

Nice haven't thought of an anti-submarine uav but have thought of one that can use small torpedoes like the Sea Venom or even larger ones like the naval strike missiles. I was told that they would be effective against small ships like fast attack craft and small corvette type. It would really help the Saudis or UAE to be able to engage Iran's small ships remotely and effectively with the Sea Venom only weighing about 240 pounds and can sink up to 1000 tons ship.
Read post#209

Read post#209
I read that as anti submarine warfare. I'm not sure if torpedoes are still used for anti-ship missiles because of speed being really slow. You could be right but I think that a more dedicated anti ship uav could be much better in terms of missile capability and number of missiles in general. I might be missing something from that but you can correct me if you see something I don't

come on guys, they are over optimist for their product, first in the world, better than global hawk etc.
those drones doesnt have even a SAR radar and they expect anti sub mission from it,

is 100hrs endurance real, i feel exaggeration again, just want to know, what is max endurance with max payload at max altitude? thx

I read that as anti submarine warfare. I'm not sure if torpedoes are still used for anti-ship missiles because of speed being really slow. You could be right but I think that a more dedicated anti ship uav could be much better in terms of missile capability and number of missiles in general. I might be missing something from that but you can correct me if you see something I don't

U-40_UAV.jpg

ADCOM's NAVY UAV would be the first fixed wing UAV dedicated to ASW missions
According to ADCOM, the Navy UAV would detect submarines through the use of sonobuoys. The ASW UAV is expected to carry a maximum of two torpedoes and would detect and attack submarines autonomously or with live control from an operator depending on the mission and flight plan.

And there is:

Global_Yabhon640.jpg

On the fuselage of the aircraft and its rear wing there are attachment points for 18 different types of weapons. On the model shown at the air show, there were two small missiles "air - surface» Namrod, two cruise missiles Yabhon Thunder with a radius of 240 km and two torpedoes.

On the fuselage of the aircraft and its rear wing there are attachment points for 18 different types of weapons. On the model shown at the air show, there were two small missiles "air - surface» Namrod, two cruise missiles Yabhon Thunder with a range of 240 km and two torpedoes.

Last edited:
@The SC What do you think of putting MANPADS on top of Nimr vehicles in the same way as the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger I saw that UAE has the pantsir but still it would help in Yemen against incoming drones while the Pantsir takes more time and the radar signature rather small for UAVs. If there there are anti-tank variants of the Nimr I can't see why there cant be a anti-air version. It could even be exported to Saudi Arabia to meet their needs in the same way as the MPCV which they purchased recently. And as you stated before Saudi Arabia is developing SAM systems. Sorry no UAE armed forces thread so I posted here.

@The SC What do you think of putting MANPADS on top of Nimr vehicles in the same way as the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger I saw that UAE has the pantsir but still it would help in Yemen against incoming drones while the Pantsir takes more time and the radar signature rather small for UAVs. If there there are anti-tank variants of the Nimr I can't see why there cant be a anti-air version. It could even be exported to Saudi Arabia to meet their needs in the same way as the MPCV which they purchased recently. And as you stated before Saudi Arabia is developing SAM systems. Sorry no UAE armed forces thread so I posted here.
Both KSA and the UAE have thousands of manpads, stingers mostly.. and I think it will be a good idea to make them and the Russian Igla locally or better yet get the ToT and develop own manpads..

"Saudi Arabia is said to have made a progress in acquiring the technology of man-portable air defence systems (MANPADS)."

http://www.tacticalreport.com/view_news/Saudi-plans-to-acquire-MANPADS-technology/5627

Both KSA and the UAE have thousands of manpads, stingers mostly.. and I think it will be a good idea to make them and the Russian Igla locally or better yet get the ToT and develop own manpads..

"Saudi Arabia is said to have made a progress in acquiring the technology of man-portable air defence systems (MANPADS)."

http://www.tacticalreport.com/view_news/Saudi-plans-to-acquire-MANPADS-technology/5627
Agreed, the missile itself is rather simple compared to longer range SAM but Russian MANPADS are in my opinion not as good as American ones in terms of kill ratios where in the Afghan-Soviet war performed better to my knowledge. In case of a war with Iran they would prove useful against Iran's SU-24's which although limited in numbers are a lethal attack aircraft and would be very useful but a flight ceiling of at least 22-23 thousand feet and an IFF integrated with friendly aircraft. I don't trust tactical report very much, they last said that Saudi Arabia making a Rooivalk mk 2 with South Africa which although sounds good it is unconfirmed and unlikely to my knowledge. I don't think transfer of technology is needed because the missile is not really too complex.
Stinger_fim-92A_man_portable_air_defense_system_MANPAD_United_States_American_defense_industry_details_002.jpg

Stinger_fim-92A_man_portable_air_defense_system_MANPAD_United_States_American_defense_industry_details_001.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, the missile itself is rather simple compared to longer range SAM but Russian MANPADS are in my opinion not as good as American ones in terms of kill ratios where in the Afghan-Soviet war performed better to my knowledge. In case of a war with Iran they would prove useful against Iran's SU-24's which although limited in numbers are a lethal attack aircraft and would be very useful but a flight ceiling of at least 22-23 thousand feet and an IFF integrated with friendly aircraft. I don't trust tactical report very much, they last said that Saudi Arabia making a Rooivalk mk 2 with South Africa which although sounds good it is unconfirmed and unlikely to my knowledge. I don't think transfer of technology is needed because the missile is not really too complex.
Stinger_fim-92A_man_portable_air_defense_system_MANPAD_United_States_American_defense_industry_details_002.jpg

Stinger_fim-92A_man_portable_air_defense_system_MANPAD_United_States_American_defense_industry_details_001.jpg
There are thousands of Stingers in KSA and the UAE.. but the US won't give ToT..So with other technologies to explore, it will be easier to make own Manpads

Last edited:
Interesting video, too bad they had to throw out some of their plans for vehicles. What variants do you want to see or think you will see since they will have 3 new ones the Nimr representative said.
3-Oshkosh-S-ATV.jpg

20192141210829198.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom