What's new

Made in India military weapons and support systems

@Abingdonboy , @sancho , @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR , @acetophenol , @Koovie , @MilSpec and all other weapon experts ......

B-ItiwcCQAA302f.jpg

B-ItSBvCIAErZ00.jpg

Last edited:
Quite irrelevant when the IA is looking for a multi-cal rifle. The Excalibur will be good for CAPFs and state police forces to replace their INSAS but the Indian military are unlikely to be interested. Why no news on the MCIWS? That is the REAL future weapon and the weapon that the DRDO should be hyping up.

“Even OFB is now pushing for comparative trials between the Excalibur and foreign 5.56mm rifles”

I don’t really see much of a diff between a plain jane insas and Excalibur, I don’t see it beating any of machined receiver, short stroke systems in the near future. We need to understand that Insas family was a cost effective mix and match platform for the late eighties and early nineties, there is no point in investing on Insas anymore.

“Importantly DRDO's ARDE laboratory is currently developing an indigenous 7.62 x 51 mm light machine gun”

This is good news, lets see what the outcome will be, hopefully it wont be an ultralight like the Insas LMG, but a full blown dedicated LMG platform.

“The Indian Coast Guard has emerged as a major buyer of the Amogh 5.56 x 30 mm carbine.”

It’s just perplexing why anyone would come up with a 5.56 x 30… 5.56 x 45 itself has poor terminal ballistics, not when you cut it down to 30mm, you loose 33% of ballistic performance, so now the round poor in short range as well as long range. This is loco-engineering.

“BTW the Beretta MX-4s with the BSF are giving a huge amount of trouble”

9mm carbine for spec –ops close combat is understandable, but BSF ordering 9mm carbine was always a ridiculous idea to me and I have been yelling about this for quit a long time. Over that Mp5 has been a proven 9mm carbine and has been in use for ages, why would anyone choose a MX4 is beyond my comprehension, especially when your engagement ranges have always exceeded 100-200 yards. A 7.62 x39 or a .300 AAC Blackout would have served the purpose much better.

Ministry of Defence
24-February, 2015 16:51 IST

Manufacturing of Defence Equipments

The Government has so far issued 251 Letters of Intents (LOIs) / Industrial Licenses (ILs) covering 150 companies till January 2015 for manufacture of a wide range of defence items to public / private companies. 49 license companies covering 72 licenses have so far reported commencement of production.

2. The following major steps have been taken for domestic manufacture of defence equipments:

(i) FDI Policy in Defence sector has been reviewed and as per the new policy, composite foreign investment up to 49% has been allowed through FIPB route and beyond 49% with the approval of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) wherever it is likely to result in access to modern and ‘State-of-the-art’ technology in the country.

(ii) Defence Products List for the purpose of industrial licensing has been revised and in the revised list most of the components / parts / raw materials have been taken out from the purview of the industrial licensing. Further, the initial validity of industrial licensing has been increased to three years and, thereafter, two time extension of 02 years each may be granted to a company by the Administrative Ministry.

(iii) Government has accorded priority to ‘Buy (Indian)’, ‘Buy & Make (Indian)’ and ‘Make’ categories of acquisition over ‘Buy (Global)’ category to promote domestic manufacturing.

3. So far 33 FDI proposals / Joint Ventures have been approved in Defence sector for manufacture of various defence equipments, both in public and private sector.

This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Shri Rao Inderjit Singh in a written reply to Shrimati Naznin Faruquein Rajya Sabha today.

DM/HH/NM
(Release ID :115765)

Back
Top Bottom