What's new

Macron, Putin to meet in Versailles next week

Posted by @Picdelamirand-oil on another forum.

Macron :

"Peter the Great is the symbol of this Russia which wants to open up to Europe. What is important in this history which today has three centuries is this dialogue between France and Russia that has never stopped.
This Russia, which is opening up to Europe, this Franco-Russian friendship, is what I wanted to share with you today at Versailles, and that was the basis of our discussion today.

On Syria, I recalled our priorities: our priority is the fight against terrorism and in particular Daech. I want us to strengthen our partnership with Russia, to ensure stability, democratic transition with the red line: the use of chemical weapons by anyone."

On Ukraine

"Our wish is that an exchange with Germany and Ukraine can take place as soon as possible and that a full assessment can be made. I have recalled my desire that we may end in a de-escalation of this conflict."

Putin :

"For my part, I would like to thank the President of the French Republic for inviting me to France, especially in a place as magnificent as Versailles. This is the first time I've been here. I am impressed by the history and grandeur of France.

The Franco-Russian relations did not begin with Peter the Great, the roots are much deeper.
Above all, we talked about our bilateral relations, those of Russia and the European Union and also the painful points in the world.

We tried to find the points of reconciliation. I am convinced that the primary interests of France and Russia surpass these points of friction. Economic relations are increasing.

What is more important is the fight against terrorism. The French president proposed to set up a working group, that the experts can go to Moscow as to Paris.

On the issue of Syria, we believe that we can not fight the terrorist threat by destroying the [Syrian] state."

Back
Top Bottom