What's new

Live Tesla Model X event

Tesla's Model X configurator is live, prices start at $80,000

Tesla has finally opened up the online configurator for the Model X — but only on an invite-only basis. However, those lucky enough to access it will find a new, entry-level offering starting at $80,000.

For that chunk of change, buyers get an all-wheel drive Model X 70D underpinned by a 70 kWh battery pack that is good for a 220-mile range and a 0 to 60 mph time of 6.0 seconds. Of course, Tesla is quick to calculate that the car will only cost owners $61,000 after tax breaks and gas-savings. How long it will take for that to pan out, though, since gas is super cheap at the moment, is unclear. It's likely many, many years.

Tesla-Model-X.jpg

Image: Tesla Motors

That's just the base price, however, and does not include add-on extras, like the $750 towing package (capable of hauling 5,000 pounds) or the $1000 cold weather package that includes a heated steering wheel, second- and third-row seat heaters and a few other creature comforts.

Of course, if you're not a bargain basement kind of EV driver, Tesla will still sell you the $132,000 P90D Signature model. And if you want to add Ludicrous acceleration mode, which can do 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, you'll need to shell out another $10,000.

If you're wondering how long you'll have to wait for your Model X, Tesla is estimating, depending on which model you choose, delivery sometime in 2016. That said, Elon Musk admitted in the quarterly earnings call that the company was having trouble with the falcon wing door seals. So it might be a bit later than expected.

Tesla is a scam. The company has never turned a profit and never will. Elon Musk is a cocaine addict with a made-up name who mooches off every government program there is.

No successful consumer innovation, from the Model T to the Apple II, has ever started at the top and worked its way down. Successful consumer innovations start by building a useful product as minimalist as possible and pricing it so the greatest possible number of ordinary people can afford it.

Tesla is a dead end and needs to die and get out of the way so real innovators can make real cars.

Tesla is a scam. The company has never turned a profit and never will.

I can off the top of my head name two companies that took over 5 years to turn a profit:
Amazon
FedEx

You think they aren't money making machines now??

No successful consumer innovation, from the Model T to the Apple II, has ever started at the top and worked its way down.

When has Apple started at the bottom and worked their way up??? The Apple II was $1200 in 1977!! It's hard to convince people in 2015 to spend that kind of money on a computer nevermind 1977. I don't think they have ever sold an IMac or MacBook computer for less than $800. Usually double the price of their competitors.

I can off the top of my head name two companies that took over 5 years to turn a profit:Amazon, FedEx. You think they aren't money making machines now??

Amazon is not a "money making machine," the reason it started making a profit is because it engaged in classic market flooding. This doesn't apply to Tesla because they are not capable of cutting prices below their immediate competition.

When has Apple started at the bottom and worked their way up??? The Apple II was $1200 in 1977!! It's hard to convince people in 2015 to spend that kind of money on a computer nevermind 1979. I don't think they have ever sold an IMac or MacBook computer for less than $800.

$1200 was pocket change for a computer back then. A new car cost twice that. Ordinary middle-class people could afford the Apple II and schools were able to fill entire labs with them. Middle-class Americans and ordinary businesses/government institutions cannot afford the Tesla and this will not change.

Tesla is a dead-end. It's that simple.

The successful electric car will either be a totally novel innovation like the Model T or an evolution of existing car lines, like how DVD players were originally a more pricey alternative to VCRs. Double-deck DVD/VCRs were popular for a short while. Hybrid cars will gradually be built with smaller and smaller gasoline engines and more efficient electric systems.

Amazon is not a "money making machine," the reason it started making a profit is because it engaged in classic market flooding.
okay, I'll agree with you that they aren't exactly a money making machine.

$1200 was pocket change for a computer back then. A new car cost twice that. Ordinary middle-class people could afford the Apple II and schools were able to fill entire labs with them. Middle-class Americans and ordinary businesses/government institutions cannot afford the Tesla and this will not change.

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/popscan/p60-117.pdf
$1200....Median income in 1977 was $13,500
The median income now is $52,000. That's like $4,600 for a computer. Yes people can afford it but that would be a very hard sell.

The successful electric car will either be a totally novel innovation like the Model T or an evolution of existing car lines, like how DVD players were originally a more pricey alternative to VCRs. Double-deck DVD/VCRs were popular for a short while. Hybrid cars will gradually be built with smaller and smaller gasoline engines and more efficient electric systems.

There is no doubt that *eventually* would happen. But you have to admit car companies are dragging their feet on it.
The Toyota Prius first came out worldwide in 2000. 15 years ago. Do they need another 30?

Tesla went public 5 years ago and has only been selling the Model S for 3 years. If they fail..they fail..and you have got to give them a thumbs up for trying.

Stop with the negative waves.
Have-A-Little-Faith.jpg

Last edited:
OWNING A MODEL X: Mark Templeton’s impressions! | EV And More

MT-MXF-MTempleton-Daughter-p-800x340.jpeg

Mark Templeton is well known for his accomplishments in the software sector: he was the CEO of Citrix Systems from 2001 to 2015! But he is also a longtime Tesla fan … at such point that he received the 3rd Model X delivered. After more than 2 months of ownership, he shares his experience with the best SUV ever built!

I’ve now had the X since Sept 29 and have enjoyed every thrilling moment. I thought I’d share photos and videos of some of the experiences I’ve had since Elon handed the key to my daughter and me at the Model X Launch Event.

Mark Templeton’s Ocean Blue Founder Model X

The first question I get is “how did you get VIN3?” Truth is, I’ve always been “the first kid on my block…” and Tesla is no different. I’ve been blessed to get Roadster VIN 16 and Model S VIN 20 as well, getting an early, first-hand experience with the Tesla vision for all-electric transportation. I have to say that the cars have been consistently reliable and flawless – quite an accomplishment for early serial numbers of ANY new product!

The delivery of the X was a truly wonderful experience. Backstage, we got our new owner orientation and some time to
drool over this amazing vehicle. The Tesla team was awesome – making every moment a joy before the event kicked off. We met engineers, service techs, execs and events team who answered lots of “inside baseball” questions. To my wonderful surprise, my friend of 30+ years, Mark Tebbe, was there to receive VIN5! That was one of the best moments of the evening, since we hadn’t seen each other in 15 years.

Tesla gave me dealer plates so I could drive the car in California before shipping it to my home in Florida – about a week before Thanksgiving. The Tesla West Palm Beach team did a great job with the delivery. We loaded up and did a road trip to Raleigh from South Florida. The supercharger experience was great! Every Tesla owner you meet there has a fabulous set of stories to share – and great travel tips. The superchargers are well-located and I got 350 mph charging at a couple of them. I dropped in on the Tesla Raleigh team so they could touch the excitement. I also visited my alma mater – NC State College of Design – and let students check it out. Our hotel – The Umstead – is a member of the Tesla Destinations program. Universally, this car has a magnetic personality.

I have to admit that I like it better than my Model S. In the fossil fuel world, I like the Porsche zCayenne over the Panamera for the same reason – it’s a sports car, a sedan, and an SUV. The multi-purpose aspect of the X is stunning. The storage space is amazing. In fact, the deep trunk allows two of the 34″ rolling luggage pieces to stand side-by-side! Add the folding third row, it far exceeds SUVs of similar size. The underseat space is great – more comfortable for passengers and added space for storage. The seats are by far the best of any vehicle I’ve owned – design, comfort and function. And, I love how the middle row sets tilt and slide.

From a quality perspective, you’d think VIN 3 would have issues. It was likely “hand built” on the production line, and it’s been almost flawless. Sometimes, the Falcon Wings pause when opening – taking a failsafe approach to avoid striking anything. I like the false-positive approach – especially as the sonar in the doors gets more sophisticated over time. As Elon said, it’s FAST! Ludicrous mode makes acceleration from 30 mph just like at 0 mph! Smooth, continuous, multi-G acceleration – pure joy at the tip of your foot!

The Model X is a crowd magnet!

I’ve recently been through the factory and there are X’s being assembled in various stages throughout. I know so many are waiting with great anticipation and some impatience. I don’t blame you but feel sure you’ll find it worth the wait. I remember my roadster being postponed several times, waiting 3-4 years for it. The priority being placed around quality of the product and ownership experience is second to none. That takes time and tremendous attention to detail. Tesla is amazing at that.

-Mark Templeton

Tesla is meant for only top 5% of the population. Nothing wrong with that. Tesla is Rolls Royce of Electric car. Elon Musk has created a brand image of his company for high end electric cars that can go at great speeds.

Tesla is meant for only top 5% of the population. Nothing wrong with that. Tesla is Rolls Royce of Electric car. Elon Musk has created a brand image of his company for high end electric cars that can go at great speeds.

He explains why he is going high to low here:

Wait for Model 3........................$ 35000 Mass Car. Elon's plan is to produce 500000/Year by 2020, Once Gigafactory1,2 and 3 are up.....he would definitely go for Million Car/Year.

He explains why he is going high to low here:

He does not explain what it takes to reduce the costs. My impression was that Lithium-ion batteries are the reason for high costs. With the falling prices of Li-ion batteries it is not too far to own a affordable electric car. If the charging points infrastructure is not built in mass scale then electric cars are doomed for failure.

Back
Top Bottom