What's new

List of loans taken by PML-N since May 2013

So the bottom line is

World Bank: 12 billion dollars + 1.2 billion dollars (as I suppose it's not part of 12 billion dollars deal)
IMF: 6.6 Billion dollars
Adb: 1.2 billion dollars & 0.167 billion dollars
Bond: 2 billion dollars

= 23.167 billion dollars or say 23 billion dollars in the next 5 years

That's 23 / 5 = 4.6 billion dollars of loan per year.

and we haven't counted the loans from Islamic Development Bank and other projects funded by World Bank, IMF and ADB. Some of these loans are direct loans and other being part of the project.

That's already huge. Imagine the loan we had accumulated from 1947 to 2007 was only 38 billion dollars and the loan we are hoping to take in the next 5 years alone is 23 billion dollars at least.

Last edited:
So the bottom line is

World Bank: 12 billion dollars + 1.2 billion dollars
IMF: 6.6 Billion dollars
Adb: 1.2 billion dollars & 0.167 million dollars
Bond: 2 billion dollars

= 23.167 billion dollars or say 23 billion dollars in the next 5 years

That's 23 / 5 = 4.6 billion dollars of loan per year.

and we haven't counted the loans from Islamic Development Bank and other projects funded by World Bank, IMF and ADB. Some of these loans are direct loans and other being part of the project.

That's already huge. Imagine the loan we had accumulated from 1947 to 2007 was only 38 billion dollars and the loan we are hoping to take in the next 5 years alone is 23 billion dollars at least.

WB is just $12 billion, with 1.2 billion being first payment. The problem are not loans but what PPP has done with them. Nothing! They didnt secure loans for big dams but only to fill their pockets.

my prediction is aside some miracle happens, pakistan will end up even worse than PPP era in the end of PMLN era

WB is just $12 billion, with 1.2 billion being first payment.
The reason I have bracketed both loans separately is because the loan of 1.2 billion was approved before 12 billion dollars package.

The other reason being World Bank supporting several projects in Pakistan such as coal mining projects and small Hydro Power projects in the country, I did not count any of them right now as I didn't want to google. I am sure all of those projects are not part of the 12 billion dollars budgetary support loan.

my prediction is aside some miracle happens, pakistan will end up even worse than PPP era in the end of PMLN era
It is possible but you must also keep in mind that

When PPPP was in power
  • There was a recession all over the world, the world economy was slowdown that every nation was focused on improving their own economy before opening gateway for others
  • Floods & Earthquake in Pakistan incurring losses of billions
  • Volatility inside the country due to conflict between Judiciary/Government/Army
  • New scandals every month tarnishing the reputation of Government
  • Higher pressure from USA back those days / Osama Scandal and bitter relationship for the longer part of their tenure
  • Money spent on Swat operation and other military operations
The advantage PML-N is having right now is
  • Better foreign relationships especially to Arab nations so the chances of selling your goods are higher
  • No signs of Floods or earthquake thank God, that will definitely boost up the economy
  • The recession is over, so the chances of boosting bilateral trade are higher
  • Better atmosphere inside the country
  • Less bomb blasts due to negotiations with the Talibaboons until it lasts
  • No major operations so far no money spent on extra defence expenditures
If we can provide electricity, many economists believe that only providing the electricity will result in increase of 2% of GDP growth and that wasn't even the total growth per year during the tenure of PPPP. Besides that, The prices of oil are very stable and affordable as compared to highly volatile market couple of years ago and the previous government has already set high enough prices for oil to cop with such a situation. So when you see all the negative factors already been resolved, it is very much possible that we can post a growth rate of close to 4% or above in the next 1-2 years before really kicking off the economy to handsome growth rate of above 6%.

If we start having the same old problems which PPPP faced then this government may end up posting similar results compared to PPPP. I am being optimistic.. Trust me this total loan of 23-25 billion dollars won't hurt if we can post a growth rate of 6% or above... The moment they put a halt on taking loans, the debt to GDP ratio will fall dramatically to the level where loans won't hurt us at all.

Last edited:
Its already done better then combined 5 years of PPP lanat.
unhon ne 5 saal main 20-21 billion dollars liye thay inhon ne 1 saal main hi contracts sign kar liye

uhhon ne 5 saalon main jitne note print kiye thay PML-N ne 1 saal main us se zayada print kar liye

Kuch achi batain bhi hain ke unhon ne 5 saal Prime Minister aur court ke cases larte larte guzaar diye par ye log kuch na kuch kar to rahay hain. Ab ye nai pata ke 100 rupee main kitne rupee jaib main dalte hain aur kitne awam pe lagate hain... PPPP wale to apne managers pe rely karte thay aur khud court cases main hi time guzaar gaye..

Its already done better then combined 5 years of PPP lanat.

honestly i don't see any better performance, if you can analyse, we can all see, same political appointments, same attitude, there is no remarkable change in mind set, no drastic change in policies, no drastic economic reforms they infact levied more sales tax, no dractic change in law and order situation, no drastic measures to improve the security measures

karachi law and order is becoming worse and worse like in the PPP era, same in balochistan, fata and else where, PPP still showed some ownership in other provinces, other than the one it won, but PMLN has totally reserved attitude to be frank, and thats why i think that for now the forcast seems that it will actually go worse than better because PPP governance declined with time, PMLN is following the same route, it seemed to be energetic in the initial period, but it has totally went silent now

unhon ne 5 saal main 20-21 billion dollars liye thay inhon ne 1 saal main hi contracts sign kar liye

uhhon ne 5 saalon main jitne note print kiye thay PML-N ne 1 saal main us se zayada print kar liye

Kuch achi batain bhi hain ke unhon ne 5 saal Prime Minister aur court ke cases larte larte guzaar diye par ye log kuch na kuch kar to rahay hain. Ab ye nai pata ke 100 rupee main kitne rupee jaib main dalte hain aur kitne awam pe lagate hain... PPPP wale to apne managers pe rely karte thay aur khud court cases main hi time guzaar gaye..

6.7 billion to pay back what PPP stole. WB loans are meant for development, as long as Dasu etc are build then good. WB doesnt **** around with his money unlike IMF which just directly transfer and forget about it.

honestly i don't see any better performance, if you can analyse, we can all see, same political appointments, same attitude, there is no remarkable change in mind set, no drastic change in policies, no drastic economic reforms they infact levied more sales tax, no dractic change in law and order situation, no drastic measures to improve the security measures

karachi law and order is becoming worse and worse like in the PPP era, same in balochistan, fata and else where, PPP still showed some ownership in other provinces, other than the one it won, but PMLN has totally reserved attitude to be frank, and thats why i think that for now the forcast seems that it will actually go worse than better because PPP governance declined with time, PMLN is following the same route, it seemed to be energetic in the initial period, but it has totally went silent now

No drones attacks, reduced terrorism, less load shedding. Remember PPP lantis toke Musharaf era Pakistan which was doing good and turned in to mess.

And for your information GDP growth is already higher then any year when PPP was in goverment. And forcast say its only going to improve further.

No drones attacks, reduced terrorism, less load shedding. Remember PPP lantis toke Musharaf era Pakistan which was doing good and turned in to mess.

And for your information GDP growth is already higher then any year when PPP was in goverment. And forcast say its only going to improve further.

reduced terrorism because drones killed hakeem ullah mehsud, now the TTP is didvded, and also because they have made TTP stake holders, meaning the terrorists

load shedding has reduced? i don't think so, it has increased

and also no definite energy policy till now, iranian gas project has cooled down

GDP had already improved in the later period of PPP which was 4 something

i dunno whats the GDP forcast now

GDP had already improved in the later period of PPP which was 4 something

i dunno whats the GDP forcast now
2008: 1.7%
2009: 2.83%
2010: 1.61%
2011: 2.79%
2012: 4.02% or 3.79% depending upon the sources
2013: 3.6%

If you take the average that's about 3.31%

Since part of these years falls back to Musharraf's era, Midterm government and the current government's I remember somebody saying the combined growth rate was close to 14% that is 2.8% per year. Now if you minus the growing population of Pakistan that is 1.84%. You get a net growth of about 1% - It is safe to say that we wasted 5 years

It was estimated that in order for Pakistan to sustain economically, we must post a growth rate of at least 6% or above. That is almost good enough to create 4 million jobs for fresh batch of youth looking for job for the first time.

2008: 1.7%
2009: 2.83%
2010: 1.61%
2011: 2.79%
2012: 4.02% or 3.79% depending upon the sources
2013: 3.6%

If you take the average that's about 3.31%

Since part of these years falls back to Musharraf's era, Midterm government and the current government's I remember somebody saying the combined growth rate was close to 14% that is 2.8% per year. Now if you minus the growing population of Pakistan that is 1.84%. You get a net growth of about 1% - It is safe to say that we wasted 5 years

It was estimated that in order for Pakistan to sustain economically, we must post a growth rate of at least 6% or above. That is almost good enough to create 4 million jobs for fresh batch of youth looking for job for the first time.

Yep thats what comes to mind if someone hear PPP, 5 years wasted. Under N GDP growth so far 4.1%. If they can keep promise of 6-7% in 2-3 years then N have done way better job.

Is there any other way to kickstart GDP growth..? You need loans to develop and thats what your govt. is doing. But that depends on whether the money is used to build roads/ dams or, open shopping malls in Dubai.

Is there any other way to kickstart GDP growth..? You need loans to develop and thats what your govt. is doing. But that depends on whether the money is used to build roads/ dams or, open shopping malls in Dubai.
Taking loans is fine for as long as you use it for development purposes. Part of these loans are to bridge the gap between income and expenses, by doing this, you are literally throwing money in a dark hole

Back
Top Bottom