What's new

Light Combat Aircraft -LCA naval variant all at sea

Che Guevara

Reaction score
Four flights in one year. That’s the flight track record of the naval variant of Light Combat Aircraft -LCA Navy (NP-1) since it made its maiden flight on April 27 last year in Bangalore.

The NP-1 which is the sole prototype build under the LCA Navy programme by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has been bogged down with a few problems that it has not been on a flight sortie since July last 2012.

The aircraft since its first few flights has been undergoing a few modifications with regard to the landing gear and a few other systems to meet the ski jump requirement, said Ministry of Defence sources.The LCA Navy is being developed to operate from an aircraft carrier with a concept of ski-jump take-off but arrested recovery (STOBAR). The aircraft to prove that it is fit for carrier-borne operations it would be subjected to ski-jump launch and arresting recovery tests at the naval air station in Goa.

Sources added that a few hiccups which are being sorted, after which more flights would follow.The LCA Navy programme commenced in 2003 and the development plan of the Naval version envisages building of two prototypes, a two-seat trainer (NP-1) and a single seat fighter (NP-2), as technology demonstrators to carry out carrier suitability certification and weapons integration.

Compared to its Air Force counterpart, the LCA is different as it has a new stronger and longer landing gear, arrester hook for ship deck landing, front fuselage drooped for better over the nose vision to facilitate ship landing, an additional control surface to reduce ship landing speed and consequential changes in various systems.The NP1 aircraft would be flying with the GE-F404-IN20 engine.

The LCA will replace the depleting Sea Harrier squadron and operate along the MiG29 K’s by 2014 from the Indigenous Air Craft Carrier which is being constructed at Kochi.The Government has already sanctioned limited series production of the LCA Navy under which eight aircraft would be developed.

Light Combat Aircraft -LCA naval variant all at sea - Bangalore - DNA

I have reported the Sinotroll's posts. Indian members, don't indulge him and derail yet another thread. Some people have psychological needs to feel superior, which they can't in their pathetic real lives, so they fulfil those needs on online forums.

On topic, The NLCA can take all the time it needs, because our naval aviation is not desperate for fighters. They have more firepower than ever before, with the mig-29K squadron, and there are more coming. If necessary, we can always buy more of that from Russia. (Not really necessary, since they have already contracted enough for two carriers.)

Since this is our first experience in navalising an aircraft, it is important that we take time on it. And the navy, unlike the IAF, has made sure that delays in that project will not affect its operational requirements.

A nonsens project, for the wrong reasons, that delays the whole LCA project!

Senseless comment. This project will give us valuable experience of designing carrier-capable aircraft. LCA can be used as a point defense aircraft.

Senseless comment. This project will give us valuable experience of designing carrier-capable aircraft. LCA can be used as a point defense aircraft.

Yeah I know, heared it all before. :coffee: But you don't need a fully fledged naval carrier fighter, to gain experience and you don't use a less capable light class fighter to defend a high value target like a carrier from modern medium or even heavy class fighters!
And the fact that the naval requirements for this not needed fully fledged carrier fighter makes the whole LCA project suffer, that's not of concern for you?

Wont it just take a spot away from a capable fighter? In the middle of the sea, real estate is the in thing.

Why did they even diverted resources from completing original LCA project. A full senseless project with no goal.

Why did they even diverted resources from completing original LCA project. A full senseless project with no goal.

Because ADA/DRDO thought it was just a simple re-design and IN was ready to invest into it, even if they know that it's not a good carrier fighter.

@sancho : I do know your opinion on N-LCA still I have a question :D

What do you think of N-LCA as a coast based fighter capable of landing on carriers ???
It's more than certain indian Navy will get the coast defence job in next 1/2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a serious problem of not being realistic.

Very true! But what I don't understand is, why IN is fuelling ADA/DRDO in their overestimations, when they know that it's not realistic? Moreover, I don't understand why MoD remaind silence for all the time and don't take the lead to get LCA ready and not to let IAF follow their interests, IN theirs and ADA/DRDO theirs.

@sancho : I do know your opinion on N-LCA still I have a question :D

What do you think of N-LCA as a coast based fighter capable of landing on carriers ???
It's more than certain indian Navy will get the coast defence job in next 1/2 years.

What would be the requirement? If it is to be a carrier fighter, you need to develop N-LCA, if it's meant to be a shore based fighter for costal defence, you just take IAFs LCA version, even LCA MK1. Btw, why do you think IN will get the costal defence, did I missed any news? I mean that's what I am suggesting for a long time, but I didn't saw a single hint from MoD, or even IN to push for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time that we are designing such an aircraft..so its quiet natural that some problems may arise.

Nope :no: Both AF & naval project should go simultaneously. If not it take another 15yrs for this project to complete.

Back
Top Bottom