What's new

Libtards in a frenzy: Twitter, Periscope services disrupted in Pakistan

Dalit

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Popular social networking site, Twitter, was down in Pakistan, from a little after 10pm on Sunday. Despite this, #TwitterDown was the top trend in the country.

Internet blockage observatory NetBlocks confirmed the disruption to Twitter and Periscope "with multiple impact to multiple networks".

In a later tweet, the organisation said: "Our study with the support of @DigitalRightsPK shows the disruption of Twitter and Periscope are still ongoing. Reason unclarified.

Meanwhile, Usama Khilji — director of Bolo Bhi, a Pakistan-based advocacy, policy, and research organisation focusing on digital rights and freedom of expression — urged the government to take notice of the disruption.

"@PTAofficialpk should confirm blocking of Twitter in Pakistan on Sunday May 17, 2020; and cabinet should take notice of this outage of Twitter services for Pakistani citizens," he tweeted.

Speaking to Dawn, digital rights activist and lawyer, Nighat Dad, said: "Initial results from the testing carried out by the Digital Rights Foundation and Netblocks shows that Twitter and Periscope were blocked in Pakistan on several networks."

https://www.dawn.com/news/1557851/twitter-periscope-services-disrupted-in-pakistan

Is this the first step in the right direction? Are the authorities finally signalling that enough is enough? I hope this disruption was by design. The authorities should also find ways to block Twitter through VPN.

Last edited:
Is this the first step in the right direction? Finally the concerned authorities taking the right step in blocking Twitter which is considered a platform for chaos and instability.
There are some positives of twitter too, like the PM, ISPR, some good folks regularly use it to update on any news or give analysis. Not sure if blocking it altogether would be good idea.

i think this disruption may be done by u.s and those who control internet and is beyond control of our authorities

There are some positives of twitter too, like the PM, ISPR, some good folks regularly use it to update on any news or give analysis. Not sure if blocking it altogether would be good idea.

There are other platforms that can be used for such a purpose. Twitter is run by a CEO that has anti-Muslim views. His company is known to aid Indians that are allowed to propagate against Pakistan. Twitter is also a platform where anti-state actors spread disinformation. It is high time Pakistan blocked access to Twitter. It is a genuine security concern.

Also suspend Facebook

LOL that is another pathetic platform good for nothing. Even Western nations are contemplating curbing FB. They deem it too powerful.

It is funny that many Western nations and their mouthpieces accuse developing nations of censorship. Yet, when Western powers feel threatened by a multibillion company they have no qualms of curtailing their powers and breaking them up.

Last edited:
Is this the first step in the right direction? Are the authorities finally signalling that enough is enough? I hope this disruption was by design. The authorities should also find ways to block Twitter through VPN.

Please tell us why do you think clamping down twitter (if that it was) is a positive step? How can it help Pakistan in any way?

Please tell us why do you think clamping down twitter (if that it was) is a positive step? How can it help Pakistan in any way?

I already did. Read my previous post.

i think this disruption may be done by u.s and those who control internet and is beyond control of our authorities

It wasn't. The US gains nothing by disrupting Twitter in Pakistan. On the contrary, Twitter is a platform that the deep state gladly unleashes against Pakistan. Many mouthpieces that are living in exile in the US propagate their anti-Pakistan narrative through their favorite platform Twitter.

So the arguments that:
1) "Twitter is run by a CEO that has anti-Muslim views." How does the CEO impact views expressed on Twitter? What do his personal views have to do with how people in Pakistan have reacted to the closure of Twitter?

2) "His company is known to aid Indians that are allowed to propagate against Pakistan" Where? can you please back this claim?

3)"It is a genuine security concern" I do not think so. Rather, it gives a platform to voice your views and contradict other propaganda.

Logically countering propaganda is much more desirable than shutting it down and thinking that it does not exist anymore!!

Twitter should be banned in Pakistan until it can act to be neutral.

From banning to Pakistani accounts to suspending President of Pakistan account the website is run by the Indians who enforce Modi's fascism across the world.

Back
Top Bottom