What's new

Let's start making a "Made in Pakistan" Engine

First of all I want to note the talent in Pakistan. Completely illiterate mechanics working in dusty shops on streets are able to disassemble a who engine and put it back together again. Similarly with electricians etc. Given the limited resources they have, what they are able to achieve is incredible.

Unfortunately, there is no solely Pakistani private sector concern that can design and develop an engine on its own. The very first hurdle you run into is copy-rights. Even if you start from first principles and create a design, if that design is equivalent to a patented design, you are still in breach of law. Before you can design something, you need to understand what is already patented and then enhance that. This is just one more way in which technologically advanced nations keep us backward.

Then, as has been pointed out already, you need fundamental knowledge in a wide number of fields, and manufacturing plants to manufacture at industrial scale.

Such a venture will only make sense if the government prioritizes it like the nuclear program and it would be done for military needs. Later it can branch out into civilian use.

Sir making car engine is child's play compared to making jet engine. If the army wants to make an engine it should focus on building a jet engine so that the engine can atleast be incorporated in indigenously built fighter planes (like the JF-17) and can get a return on investment.

If the army puts money in a developing a car engine then it will be like taking bags of cash and throwing it in the trash because no car manufacturer would buy a Pakistani engine and the Pakistani consumer will still prefer a Japanese engine. That is the sad reality.

You'll require (not a comprehensive list):

1. Physicists, thermodynamics experts
2. Engineers, alloy experts
3. CAD Technicians
4. Engine block manufacturing facility (aluminium blocks)
5. Precision Parts Manufacturers (pistons, crankshafts, camshafts, timing belts, gaskets)

For each in entity in the list, it will take time and funding, along with research to hone the final product.

Engineers can't make the most optimized engine overnight

Multiple factories are required, most which must be funded by private investors. They will take years to build, plus training technicians and other laborers

Indus motors and co will lobby hard to prevent indigenous manufacturing, it will hurt their sales.

Not to mention Pakistani atittude of 'imported maal'.

Highly desirable, Highly unfeasible
Talent is not an issue, i personnaly know a guy (prof bannikov ) researching on IC engines for years, that all he does, he studies & publishes papers, . So, if u have money he is your guy ;)
4th is minor iuuse
5th is major issue

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you very much for considering me as worthy enough to be tagged in such issue.

Deeply humbled.

Getting back to topic at hand.

If you look at humanity as a whole. We have indeed come a long way from Stone age to flying in the air now and sending voyages to space. It was ofc, over a course of time and nothing happened overnight.

There was a need and we (humans) went on to satisfy it. Necessity is mother of invention.

Now exploring this Highlighted part further. Its not same as 1,2,3 when it comes to industrial scale. Perhaps, may be at your home you can put up Wire tape around ball and play cricket, which will be commonly be known as jugaar but that Jugaar is nowhere near comparable to what a proper invented stuff would be. Jugaar is just a short term and cheap option to get the stuff done thats it.

At an Industrial level you need to work from grass root. From school to Technical colleges to A corporate culture that supports the foundation of such activities. Making anything for that matter is not hard at all.

If they can make it so can we, But do we have necessary infrastructure in place?

By that do we have bits like screws and drawing in place?

Who will do the drawings who will make screws, who will integrate them all in one place to become a product, how will the work culture be supported ? its not an easy task and cant be done overnight, It takes years and years of patience and preservation. When you look at American cars and compare it with Japanese cars ( two Industrial nations) You just dont compare nissan With ford for that matter, youre not looking at car. Youre looking at their philspohy of how they work. And they have major fundamental difference, Though for an untrained eye, I might not be able to pinpoint the fundamental difference @MastanKhan certainly can. But in Laymen terms. American philosophy is tough and durable judging by the cars they make. ( bear in in mind i am not talking about cars designed outside of US) Big, tough and heavy vehicles. Which are very comfortable to ride on long freewys, Good for long interstate travels. When you look at Japanese cars, it reflects their philosophy, (usually) small cars with high focus on low fuel consumption and the size of car, because of small japanese streets are( or usually in world they are) , and not so much focus on durability. American cars can last a while much longer than Japanese cars can. Even the size of Japanese cars engine cylinders is small as compared to AMerican v6. Then if you read up f Japanese Kiazen and KAnban method of continuous improvement. You will realise how much they have developed their philosophy and workstyle over years.

Now compare that with of PAkistan. You get nothing 0 zilch. Look at the quality of PAk fan. Same as it was in 60s when I was kid. Look at pakistani designed bloody mehran for that matter. Has it changed a bit over the years? NO it hasnt. Why not Because there is no incentive to do it. As a nation we have no incentive to improve. ''Jesa chulra hai chalne do'' There s no culture of work, nothing. Damn we have become waste of space indeed. NO innovation, no focus. Just a bunch of confused people under green flag.

With No identity, we call ourselves as proud American and british and what not. SO tell me how will we imrpove of those who find more pride in calling themselves as foreigner with foreign passport, Yet by their looks and colours they look like same shitty brownie desi. I have lived quite a part in West during my bachelors and masters time and i can honestly say, Pakistanis over there are no better than the ones here. Same old corrupt practises of cheating, conning, bloody Cab drivers the lot they are. So unless we develop the very philosophy at grass root level any attempt to change the status quo will be futile and people here dont really see the ''need'' of having such improvement. In other words we are happy with going down the hill towards decline and so we have. There is no one to blame other than us. We are only good for cheap labour thats it.

So in conclusion, when you see a product you just are seeing its end result, ignoring the work and the philosophy behind it. And honestly Indian across the borders are putting 10 more effort than we can ever put.

As a nation we still need a long way to develop. We may have the minds but owing to brain drain Phenomenon we will see them leaving and for good reason.

No Sir, it's my pleasure to have you here in this thread. I am glad to help put some serious brains together, and words like these are a wealth.

If you suggest I should scrap this plan, then we should, and work on a plan that would allow the development from grass root. These are not some sacred words that i wrote, this was my idea something cooking up in my mind for some time now, if you think this approach is not good, then we should take another one, but someone has to take the lead, at least put some pointers in some thoughtful minds, at least give some ideas to our coming generations. Do something rather than doing nothing.

I will reply to your post soon, busy with my taxes this weekend :)

Hi,

At this time---pakistan needs to focus on defense equipment manufacturing---. That will make or break the industry.

Secondly---no auto maker is manufacturing a new engine on their own---. There are mega joint ventures to produce efficient smaller 4 cyl engines because of the costs involved.

Most manufacturers---or pretty much all of them are modifying their current engines for better performance and utility---.

So---pakistan needs to stay away from manufacturing---it should think of buying the rights to produce one in house---but then the numbers don't make sense---.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts sir. We can build everything that goes in a car, the problem is the engine itself. Dewan Salman would be the company that was pursuing this idea based on your approach, un-fortunately they ran into a lot of issues and are bankrupt, at one point they were beating Reliance (India) in some fields. I still hope they come out of their problems and may be give auto industry a re-birth in Pakistan.

Will get back to you soon, with some detailed thoughts of my own.

First of all I want to note the talent in Pakistan. Completely illiterate mechanics working in dusty shops on streets are able to disassemble a who engine and put it back together again. Similarly with electricians etc. Given the limited resources they have, what they are able to achieve is incredible.

Unfortunately, there is no solely Pakistani private sector concern that can design and develop an engine on its own. The very first hurdle you run into is copy-rights. Even if you start from first principles and create a design, if that design is equivalent to a patented design, you are still in breach of law. Before you can design something, you need to understand what is already patented and then enhance that. This is just one more way in which technologically advanced nations keep us backward.

Then, as has been pointed out already, you need fundamental knowledge in a wide number of fields, and manufacturing plants to manufacture at industrial scale.

Such a venture will only make sense if the government prioritizes it like the nuclear program and it would be done for military needs. Later it can branch out into civilian use.

Thanks sir, some nice and indeed some Criticlal Thought ;)

Sir making car engine is child's play compared to making jet engine. If the army wants to make an engine it should focus on building a jet engine so that the engine can atleast be incorporated in indigenously built fighter planes (like the JF-17) and can get a return on investment.

If the army puts money in a developing a car engine then it will be like taking bags of cash and throwing it in the trash because no car manufacturer would buy a Pakistani engine and the Pakistani consumer will still prefer a Japanese engine. That is the sad reality.

Hi Syed,

Making a successful car engine is as difficult as making a good fighter aircraft engine---.

It took Hyundai corporations years to build one---and Chrysler spent over a Billion dollars to build the world engine for their Dodge dart etc that flopped---.

Again pakistan should keep investing in its defense industry----keep doing what they are doing---keep buying the critical parts---.

In that manner---being dependant on others---they will establish a solid foundation for their products---there won't be too much scrutiny over what they are building.

I f we want to---maybe a motorcycle engine or something like that---. A JV should be fine at this stage.

Last edited:
No Sir, it's my pleasure to have you here in this thread. I am glad to help put some serious brains together, and words like these are a wealth.

If you suggest I should scrap this plan, then we should, and work on a plan that would allow the development from grass root. These are not some sacred words that i wrote, this was my idea something cooking up in my mind for some time now, if you think this approach is not good, then we should take another one, but someone has to take the lead, at least put some pointers in some thoughtful minds, at least give some ideas to our coming generations. Do something rather than doing nothing.

I will reply to your post soon, busy with my taxes this weekend :)
Certainly not at all.

It is good that at least people are realizing the NEED which is something that this country lacks. I really appreciate the effort you into pointing how the setup should be based and all. But my dear friend they all come later like very later.

When you see a successful person you look at his years of hard work and preservation and not just at the end result. What is stopping you from getting into Harvard ? Nothing, you're stopping yourself from getting into harvard, because you find no such need to put enormous effort, you're better off with current status quo. Same in case of Pakistan.

If you stay for 6 months in Pakistan and try getting a house built ( a Common thing most overseas desi do ) you will realise how hard it is to get normal legal job done. No one over here is willing to move their lazy arse and work. This is just one of many examples i can give you. look at the quality of engineers we have. Look at the standard of education. Not everyone can afford to go to Aitchison college. Unless you fix thing at base level. You will always have a weak foundation that will come crumbling down on stress

lolz i talk about this nearly everyday with a friend. pak army should pursue engine for thier tanks.
you need honest organsation structure.

i belive first we need to develop solar and wind turbines our selves all in house manufactering to reduce dependecy on power station once that is reached certain number then the surplus power can be transfered and used to power the factories.

you need to give dumb people an education about boycotting in pakistan and show them the negatives impacts on society of imports and explain to them you are your own enemy.

you should have a department of industrial architects where you teach and also setup factories and importion of machinery and tools. for example someone wants to setup pcb manufactering they can contact the department and they will do reserach finding out what machine tools are needed and traning required cost quantity etc. then they will show the reaserch to customer if customer can afford it then they will import machine/tools the trainers, building the factory infrastructure, etc. basically setup shop.

Dear those same people I guess work in Pak Airforce. If they dont trust the safety of a Pak made car engine, what makes you think they would sit in a Pak made engine that too in mid air so if it malfunctions they have little chance of escaping.

BTW Pak Airforce does care for the life of its airmen.

It wasn't always like this, when Pakistan gained independence it was very well off. The eastern overseas territory of Pakistan was perfect to run on agriculture and the mainland west Pakistan was rich in natural resources ideal to industrialize with the rest of Asia in 60's and 70's - clearly that didn't happen.

That was one of the reasons why Bangladesh. People from west pakistan thought the same. Most of the cash was generated from jute exports while being ploughed back into west Pakistan industrialization first through import substitution 1950's and then export license scheme in 1960's Ayub era.

Overtime Bengalis wizened up and you had 1970's east pakistan separated into Bangladesh.

Pakistanis first need to learn about driving rules, start acting on them... and than talk about talent.

These are words of a kid, with whom I got engage in a dialogue, while I was bragging about Pakistan's talent.

I say burn such talent and education, if you can't organize your self in street.

If we need to have honest opinion about Pakistan, call a delegation of kids from developed nations, and ask them to rate you.

Trust me all the foreign dignitaries, who visit Pakistan have no respect for us as a nation.
Only respect this country has is because of its army, once that's gone you will be exported world wide to fill empty cages of zoo.

@Awi I hope you know, all car engines and their parts are made in China!
Not only engine but every part of auto industry, only assembling of cars happens beyond China.
Sheet steel which makes body of car is also made in China.
Robots that weld/paint them have hardware made in China.
Harness, switches, LCD, panels, glass, clips, plastics... all come from China!
Any Pakistani or non Pakistani can order an assembly line from any supplier and can start manufacturing engines as well, there are many expired patents, which are legal to copy.

The problem are people of Pakistan who are addicted to باہر کا مال
You can make engine but who will buy it from you?
Older guys may remember an initiative taken by a maverick inventor and entrepreneur who made a 100% made in Pakistan pickup van , same as Suzuki.
Every nut bolt , and Every part of the vehicle including engine was locally made. It was called Proficient.
The guy went bankrupt after an year because people won't buy his product and instead keep buying Suzuki.
So there, public attitude is also to blame.

It is not so much the question of talent or skill, Pakistani entrepreneur wants to get rich quick and wants to double his investment within a year or so. Hence quality is seriously compromised which has created the perception that Pakistani manufactured goods cannot compete with foreign imports in quality. This is most probably the reason that locally manufacture Suzuki would not sell.

Increasing the duty is not the answer as the imported item becomes the status symbol. There are only two ways to make Pakistanis to buy locally manufacture goods especially the machinery.

GOP can impose a total ban on imports. When the the president and the ministers start travelling in Pakistani made cars. Pakistani public would follow suit. However as soon as the ban is lifted situation will revert.

A better and more sensible way is however to improve the quality of Pakistani manufactured goods. Take the example of Japanese and the British car industries during my lifetime. When I arrived in UK in 1962, there was not a single Japanese made car on UK streets. Instead the streets and the car parks used to be full of Morris, Austin, MG, Truimph, Hillman, Rover, Jaguar and Rolls Royce brands; all 100% British motors.

30 year on, where as Ford & Vauxhall still sell in large numbers and the German, French & Italian & Swedish Volvo cars also sold; Japanese Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Subaru are seen everywhere; even the South Korean Daewoo are being marketed. But 100% British brands have virtually disappeared; some sporting brands such TVR and Morgan being notable exceptions.

Tata motors owns Jaguar & Land Rover, BMW owns Rolls Royce & Mini brand name and VW owns Bentley. Even the quintessentially British Austin Martin car is made by an investment group comprising of US, Kuwaiti & Italian investors. The bitter truth was that British car makers could not complete with the quality & reliability of the Japanese imports.

If you want Pakistan manufactured Suzuki to succeed, you must first ensure that its reliability and durability is equal to the imported Suzuki. Then make it cheaper than the import and force Central & Provincial departments such as police and army to buy it in numbers. When it has been demonstrated that the quality is as good, public will start buying it as well.

But, please don’t blame the Joe public. After the house, car is probably the largest single expense incurred by an ordinary person. He would therefore look for a transport that is reliable, cheap to buy & maintain and lasts a long time.

Last edited:
@MastanKhan
@salarsikander

Dear sir, if you think we should only be focusing on defense related industry then what about the public sector? lots of stuff will have to remain in a tight noose for defense requirements, growth of those companies will be slow. What I am thinking is to produce opportunities for our private sector to grow to a level that we can fulfill our needs within Pakistan, and citizens have access to better affordable options. It shouldn't be a Mercedes quality but should at least be better than current Toyota and Suzuki offerings, and it will ultimately increase life quality of a common person as well.

Yes, of course, no one is building new engines, actually, a competition of that level will bring joint ventures in manufacturing (Chinese companies won't let this opportunity go, they have long been fighting to tap into Pakistan auto industry), which will bring those technologies to Pakistan as well. Bigger companies won't let Pakistan get out of their hands, (Toyota corolla's 2nd most sales happen in Pakistan - Europe is 2nd but Europe is not just one country, while Canada and Australia are far behind Pakistan).
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla#Sales
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Motors_Company
Ref: http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2015/01/pakistan-full-year-2014-new-gen-keeps-toyota-corolla-1/

but when there will be restrictions of primarily Pakistanis developing those engine techs, then those companies will have to round up Pakistani brains from within Pakistan and all around the world with really nice offerings, and hand over their blueprints to develop those engines.

The main organization of the event can offer incentives for Pakistanis who want to come to Pakistan, offer jobs at professional level high-tech training centers (to be built for new industrial base), new universities, work offers at HMC on new experimental technologies etc etc.

I know youngsters from Pakistan who are seeking jobs in Tesla and Google to work on their autonomous tech teams. My brother's work is related to tech that's used in "Autonomous cars" but sees no opportunity there and is prepping for a visit to USA (he has already worked on a project for Pak army). I built my first helicopter (2 feet long) in 80's when I was hardly 8 years, never in my life I had a toy that I hadn't built myself, I studied in pursuit of fulfilling my passion but then found out there was not a single opportunity for me in Pakistan, so I had to leave. My friend was working in World Bank but got into a conflict with the organization and left it and went back to Pakistan, now he is running a street shop because there are no opportunities for what he does. GOP had put out a tender for a radar project to international companies and my uncle approached them and asked for 100 times less money than international companies. He built that radar system (strictly software) for Air Force in around 2005 (not sure if it was for JF17 or not because he doesn't tell us anything) and then after that, he went back home and they forgot about him. We have the talent, we have people who can take this country beyond stars. we need to create opportunities for them. I know a lot more people just from my circle who had to leave because there was nothing they could do there or were ignored or rejected, just imagine how many more are there? imagine the amount of talent we are wasting? Pakistan is not some dry land, Pakistan is the most fertile land on the face of this earth, we just need some passionate people right now to take the lead, or even CPEC is not going to do anything for Pakistan (Look at the projects of CPEC, China and Chinese companies are trying to make Pakistan do things to benefit from CPEC) this is a moment to cry upon not rest upon. If Army has taken this task to make sure CPEC happens, someone has to take the task to make sure a bright future for Pakistan happens too.

Defense or no defense, my problem is bright minds of Pakistan are losing their hope, we can capture it right there in Pakistan and utilize it for the betterment of our people. Still, if you want to talk about defense, after completely overhauling F-16 and building JF-17, it's just a matter of time for us to put together a normal 5th gen jet, but who will give us that kind of engine? China is doing their best, but for an engine, they have taken a wrong and long approach. Although they are ahead of us but to achieve a masterpiece they still got a long time to go. We have to take the short path because we have talent, we don't have extra money and we don't have time to waste. If our engineers can work on RD93 in Russia to get trained. Then we can get training on other things as well, it's just a matter of realization and planning.

And the mention of how hard it is to even build a normal house in Pakistan, Sir, the job of central authority on starting this kind of huge project of making sure to build an engine will cover all those issues, it will be their responsibility to make sure all the work progresses smoothly.

If we attract auto manufacturers here in Pakistan to build their assembly lines, they definitely need us right now due to CPEC, but after some time they will be dictating their rules upon us or will leave us for an alternative better option.
Read this: http://www.smh.com.au/business/toyota-to-exit-australia-30000-jobs-could-go-20140210-32cl3.html

If we let them come into our country the way we want to, they will stick here forever, because they will be merged in local companies, there won't be any Toyota engine or honda engine here anymore but all Pakistani engines. Although there may be some Shia engine or some Sunni engine (believe me there will be :) ) but still it will all be Pakistani made, benefiting Pakistan.

Pakistanis first need to learn about driving rules, start acting on them... and than talk about talent.

These are words of a kid, with whom I got engage in a dialogue, while I was bragging about Pakistan's talent.

I say burn such talent and education, if you can't organize your self in street.

If we need to have honest opinion about Pakistan, call a delegation of kids from developed nations, and ask them to rate you.

Trust me all the foreign dignitaries, who visit Pakistan have no respect for us as a nation.
Only respect this country has is because of its army, once that's gone you will be exported world wide to fill empty cages of zoo.

@Awi I hope you know, all car engines and their parts are made in China!
Not only engine but every part of auto industry, only assembling of cars happens beyond China.
Sheet steel which makes body of car is also made in China.
Robots that weld/paint them have hardware made in China.
Harness, switches, LCD, panels, glass, clips, plastics... all come from China!
Any Pakistani or non Pakistani can order an assembly line from any supplier and can start manufacturing engines as well, there are many expired patents, which are legal to copy.

First of all, sir, don't engage in a dialogue with a kid, please. I can reference 100s of links showing how degraded US society has gotten, but then I can share 1000s of stories of people helping each other without a will of a reward or anything. Pakistan has its issues, but a lot of our problems stem from poverty.

Regarding made in China, well F-35 has made in China parts and had/still has Chinese weapon system controllers (Some of them were not even working - of course, they found that out upon full testing). I am not talking about cheap knockoff parts, I am talking about quality based equipment, which even Chinese won't sell for cheap. Pakistan has been selling tanks' body sheets to USA, why can't Pakistan make auto body metal sheets of good quality?

@Awi
Again your post fails to address the major shortcomings we have in the society we have. Trust me even if you give this people the land of UK they will turn it into desdert within months. The question is not about capability, we have done few things in past to be proud of, but thats just all history to make our younger generation feel happy. The question is about the capacity. Do we have the capacity the support such infrastruture ? NO, we dont and for near future we will not.

You see there is no real requirement for us to be developed that way. Without the foundation bricks in place how do you expect to build a tower. Youre talking about corolla, And by default youre comparing it with Corolla which is available internationally. Please go ahead and see the material workmanship of Palstan corolla and the workmanship of international corolla. A huge difference. Pakistani ones will typically have low quality welded joints. Half hearted and poor construction, which is quite apparent. I mean the list can continue to go on and it even lacks the basic standard goodies that we would normally have in current generation of cars. And the price they charge is Par with what it is charged internationally minus the tech goodies.

Thats for a licensed product where you have strict quality requirements and yet PAkistan here also dont shy from from exhibiting their low quality skill. Now coming to Completely PAkistani made industry, Please other than seasonal fruits and biskoots (confectionary) products what else do we really have to export ? Nothing 0 zilch. lets say face it, we do not have the required minds anymore and even if we have some, they have left for better life just like you have. having few minds or few hundred million aint gonna make a difference. You need to work from grass level. Just look at tthe pathetic HDI of our country. How many of top notch engineering colleges we have? that produces world class engineers ? How many soprts academy doo we have that produces players qualified enough to take part in olympics ? You may have natural players but they require deep fine polihsing otherwise they end up like that bowler Amir.

Do you get the picture now ? ANd honestly speaking every second person here is either engineer or MBA who can barely write an essay. The qaulity of everything over here is going down the dran and no one does anything about it because theyre happying looting others. As Much As I hate current govt I will never blame them for our own shortcomings. We have failed as a society. The TERM Failed- State has been earned for a reason

And the mention of how hard it is to even build a normal house in Pakistan, Sir, the job of central authority on starting this kind of huge project of making sure to build an engine will cover all those issues, it will be their responsibility to make sure all the work progresses smoothly.
It seems you're not getting the point. If it were the case as easy as you say. Please find the required link below:

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1345484/one-constitution-avenue-case-flats-built-sold-illegal/

Here is the calssic case of central planning officers colluding with private contractors to loot the money off Stupid corrupt awam.

It seems you're not getting the point. If it were the case as easy as you say. Please find the required link below:

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1345484/one-constitution-avenue-case-flats-built-sold-illegal/

Here is the calssic case of central planning officers colluding with private contractors to loot the money off Stupid corrupt awam.

2-3 Years back Tata introduced a new Turbocharged Petrol Engine Revotron 1.2L for budget cars in India. Folks in automobile forums were pretty happy with it. As much as I know TATA group, it is no better than Indian government bureaucracy, in fact it is quintessential Indian bureaucratic company. If they spent X dollars on R&D; a start-up can do it in X/50 or so in R&D. They had help from Janguar Team from UK.

May be some enterprising Pakistani from this forum can start a start-up and develop engines for bikes sold in Pakistan or for cars. With 3-D printing technology, it will be much faster and cheaper, more like 100 times less than what TATA might have spent. I heard a small start-up company in Bengaluru has made some jet engines powerful enough to fly missiles by prototyping with Metal 3-D printing technology. Helps reduce turnaround time. Saw their demo in Aero - 17. May be Pakistani can get all the consultancy and funds they need from Chinese firms under CPEC.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ngine-testing-begins/articleshow/57092046.cms

It's quite sad that Pakistan has so much talent and resources, yet we haven't built our first engine for autos field. Pakistan may not have all the technologies available but we can't wait for a very long time to start acquiring a technology that's now centuries old (literally).

We can work on setting up a plan for engine manufacturing in Pakistan and will see on the way if yes we can for sure build an engine in Pakistan. It will more of analysis of current scenario, available and required resources, and able players for manufacturing.

To achieve this feat in the shortest amount of time, Pakistan should start a program just like X-Prize. But there is no X-Prize style organization in Pakistan, so Pakistan Army can take the lead (through Heavy Mechanical Complex (HMC)) and offer project startup funding and any help with imports of machinery, and a huge order of engines to the winning companies in multiple categories (simple car engine to a heavy loader truck engine). Toyota, Suzuki etc. can take part in the heavy-engine category and in light- engine to mid-engine category will only be for Pakistan origin companies. All winning engines will be co-owned by HMC.

FYI:

Manufacturer = Any company that can/want to be part of the competition

Able Manufacturer = Any company which fulfills the minimum requirements of Manufacturing an engine (of course these requirements should be based on the level of tech available in Pakistan, rest of the technologies can be built by HMC and/or imported so that not affecting the whole progress)

01. First and Foremost building a governing body to run this project, from Government/Army/HMC, and project and project strategy overview department to overview the governing body.

02. Preparation of final plan (Project Strategy),

03. Requirement Analysis for the selection of (able) Manufacturers - criteria: Knowledgeable personals, Tech strength, production strength etc.

Step 2 and 3 can proceed at the same time

04. Marketing of the project

05. Review of final plan (after completing the study of step 2 and 3)

Step 4 and 5 will proceed in parallel for the enhancement of plan and provide manufacturers ample time to analyze their capabilities and start preparations if willing to compete.

06. Providing consultancy to the companies to help understand the required capabilities

07. Analysis of Able Manufacturers

08. Invitation to Local and/or International tech companies for the technical support and consultancy. (this Tech Consultancy Group will be paid by companies who want to consult for any tech issue they can't resolve or want more know-how about. The government can award some funding for the companies to get consultancy for a limited time, they will have to pay for more support, Government can then offset some amount after that but it will depend on available funding for the whole project, consultancy group will strictly have no connection to any competitor).

09. Start Date to get applications from Manufacturers

10. Setting up of different bodies in the organization aside from the governing body, (Funding & Support dept., Monitoring & Audit dept., General Support dept., Tech Support dept., Manufacturing dept., International Consultancy Tech dept., Tech and Non Tech knowledge gathering departments, Patents filing department, Project review and overview boards etc.), some of these departments can be independent, and some can be under the governing body of the whole project, but a close collaboration mechanism should be planned, setup, monitored and maintained by the main body. Other departments of government can be asked to facilitate the main project, like IPO of Pakistan, can provide support for Patents, Auditor General of Pakistan for Auditing and so on. If a government department is not strong enough then a sub-department under the main body of this project should be setup.

11. Inviting able Manufacturers which haven't applied yet after the mid-date of application submission duration, and providing consultancy if needed. (some companies may have reservations on the program or on the outcome of program)

12. Setting up industrial level 3D manufacturing facilities to provide support or invite big international companies to provide such setup locally for the competition.

13. Start Date of Main Project (Building a made in Pakistan Engine)

14. This will also bring in a huge amount of talent from outside of Pakistan (Pakistanis and Non-Pakistanis), so there should be a side plan of HMC to absorb that talent during and/or after the project completion.

15. During this period if a part can be manufactured in Pakistan, then start manufacturing it, (we will have all the talent gathered in Pakistan, so if someone knows what they want, they will go to the Tech support department of HMC and give exact requirements, Knowledge will be gathered and Tech support will analyze, if it can be manufactured within a certain time or should just be imported.

16. Aside from made in Pakistan engine, this will give rise to local manufacturing of different parts and machines within Pakistan, the knowledge gathered can be converted to textbooks, a whole governing structure of x-prize style to keep initiating more projects, that are the need of time.

17. Winning company/team will get winning amount and a huge order of engines. Rights to the manufacturing of Engine can be distributed among government and winning companies, and better, patented technologies (by different companies (winner/loser)) can be later utilized to enhance the winning engines (Company that owns the patent, to be paid some share of the profit).

18. Initially, Army can procure some vehicles built using those engines, give feedback, and re-try the ones with enhanced engines.

At this point, the winning company will need a whole lot of maintenance centers for their engines after full throttle production starts, so they can start hiring inexperienced and experienced youth to work with them.

19. PA needs a huge number of vehicles and if we can build the whole thing in Pakistan including engine, it's not going to cost that much, and we may be able to secure huge numbers for the winning companies. Government departments own different types of cars/trucks etc., and they need even more but can't afford, so the government can order a huge number of different types of vehicles for different departments.

This is just a dream that I see for Pakistan and have put together as I want to see this happening, but there may be mistakes in this text/plan/strategy, so everyone of us on PDF can contribute to improve this and hope that someday someone will realize the possibilities of this dream and do something like this, maybe after reading this :)

I am hoping for positive responses to help improve this strategy, so please invite anyone on this forum with better knowledge in the fields of Autos, Planning, and Strategy development etc. thanks.

@MastanKhan, @fatman17, @WebMaster, @salarsikander, @Imran Khan, @Zarvan, @Muhammad Omar

If proper manpower is available, pakistan can certainly do that. In dark and grey areas, they can hire consultants.

Now a days a proper management is more important than technical knowledge in any project management.

Back
Top Bottom