What's new

LeT, JuD planning to attack Bhakra Dam

lepziboy

Reaction score
New Delhi: Intelligence inputs indicate terrorists are planning to target the Bhakra Nangal Dam in Himachal Pradesh.

Intelligence Bureau sources on Saturday said an advisory has been sent to the Himachal government to tighten the security at the dam.

It is believed that the Lashkar-e-Toiba and Jamaat-ud-Dawah groups are likely to carry out the strike during the Monsoon, during which water level is very high in the dam.

Damage to the facility at that time could cause havoc in the areas downstream, especially Chandigarh, parts of Haryana, Punjab and Delhi.

"A number of intelligence inputs indicate that the Bhakra Dam is one of the most preferred targets of Pak-based terrorist organisations. Reportedly, the LeT has also been training its cadres on aspects like cliff-climbing, swimming across water channels and handling of explosives with the intention to target major dams in India, particularly those located in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh," the IB report said.

"Recently, Pak-based terrorist outfits like the JuD/LeT have been raising the emotive issue of water sharing between India and Pakistan and allege that India has been appropriating major share of water from rivers flowing into Pakistan by constructing various dams. The Bhakra Dam figures prominently on their target list due to its economic importance and potential for large-scale damage on the downstream," the report has warned.

"Bhakra Dam has high propaganda value and any attack (on it) would attract immediate media attention," the report pointed out, saying that the dam had acquired "iconic status".

http://zeenews./news/himachal-pradesh/let-jud-planning-to-attack-bhakra-dam_720037.html

It will be a very very sad day if this were ever to happen. It is is a sure way to plunge the subcontinent into war. I hope better sense prevails.

i think any civilian or gov't important infrastructure should always have CISF protection with it like Malls busy street markets etc good work by IB stopping a potential attack

Sorry to say but It will happen one day for sure unless and until we destroy the terror factories

You need 10 trucks full of dynamite drilled in Bhakra Dam to destroy it or make it leak Govid Sagar lake so that down stream villages may be effected. Even a pounding by a Ballistic missile warhead would not be able to make it go in pieces, may be repairable leaks though.
my 1/2 cent

ofcourse by GOP, PA and ISI. they are funding them and providing training and logistical support. we have to win this proxy way any how.

our scared and gutless UPA gov't won't conduct surgical strikes on them i don't even think GOP has any control of what ISI and PA does in those terror training camps in AK and NA if Zardari could he would dismantle them but i doubt Kiyani will agree with that

our scared and gutless UPA gov't won't conduct surgical strikes on them i don't even think GOP has any control of what ISI and PA does in those terror training camps in AK and NA if Zardari could he would dismantle them but i doubt Kiyani will agree with that

apart form surgical strike there are so many other options. as this is a proxy war, we should play tit for tat.

apart form surgical strike there are so many other options. as this is a proxy war, we should play tit for tat.

or we could do it by a clandestine means like mossad took out threats Israel faced..... RAW needs to awake from slumber and take care of the terror problem across the border by clandestine means

You need 10 trucks full of dynamite drilled in Bhakra Dam to destroy it or make it leak Govid Sagar lake so that down stream villages may be effected. Even a pounding by a Ballistic missile warhead would not be able to make it go in pieces, may be repairable leaks though.
my 1/2 cent

It's a dam, not a nuclear shelter for God's sake.

my 1/2 cent

its not made from composites and titanium bro c4 planted on the dam wall could cause it to be severely damaged

Punjab and Himachal will be destroyed and consequently the subcontinent.

Good good. 2012 is fast approaching.

does any of the dumbozos writing this article know how difficult it is to blast a dam? in terms of the amount of explosives needed and its positioning?

It seems that every Pakistanis very much know how much explsives needed to blow up one. btw, you do not need to destroy the full dam, just a crack and the water force will do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom