What's new

Less than half of passing IIT batch believes in God’s existence

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is serious.... maybe Smriti Irani will take a look at this matter.
And suitable changes will be made in the syllabii.
No. This makes sense. The article is wrong though. The students don't turn atheist. They just become more critical. And it is a good thing.

Hmmm, that is interesting. But tell me, why do all these silly guys get admission into IITs?
What a waste- is'nt it?

Bookish knowledge and limited intelligence is what's required to get into these institutions, little more. Its not just about IIT/IIM, its a general phenomenon all over the world. Be it Harvard, MIT or some other premier institution. These are kids, full of themselves, believe me, I know from my own experience.

Getting into such institutions does not mean you are not silly about other, infinitely more profound issues than basic mechanics or organic chemistry.

Bookish knowledge and limited intelligence is what's required to get into these institutions, little more. Its not just about IIT/IIM, its a general phenomenon all over the world. These are kids, full of themselves.

Getting into such institutions does not mean you are not silly about other, infinitely more profound issues, believe me, I know personally.

Ah, so you personally know what silliness is?

Ah, so you personally know what silliness is?

Sure, I was much sillier when I passed out a few years ago. My knowledge was highly limited to a one or a few disciplines, as was my life experience.

When you are in school or college, you don't tend to question things as much, you don't breach the limitations of knowledge that you are presented as 'gospel'. As you evolve and widen your horizon and are exposed to different thoughts and perspectives, you begin to question and hopefully wise up a bit, if you are lucky.

I just cant understand the relation-
If you do the same survey in a masjid mandir or church it will be 100% belief in God-
So how does it effect the general idea of the survey ?-

The idea of the survey was not to get draw a conclusion of the general population, if that's what you meant. The survey was to find out the religious views of IIT grads - maybe more generally, of people with a good education.

Similar studies in Europe and USA reveal the same trend, in fact more extreme. The higher the education, the lower the belief in gods. The ones in the sciences have the least belief, and to be even more specific, the ones who have a lot of education in the life sciences (biology and related fields) have the lowest percentage of believers. For PhD holders in life sciences in the US, something like 95% are atheists.

Was it known to be a place where non religious people go to study?-
No, it isn't. That's the point.

Sure, I was much sillier when I passed out a few years ago. My knowledge was highly limited to a one or a few disciplines, as was my life experience.

When you are in school or college, you don't tend to question things as much, you don't breach the limitations of knowledge that you are presented as 'gospel'. As you evolve and widen your horizon and are exposed to different thoughts and perspectives, you begin to question and hopefully wise up a bit, if you are lucky.

Good for you then. Have you started working yet?

Engineering is no where near core science. And Engineering is just an art. More over, if the students who study core subjects like, physics, chem, maths, and even literature and then they say they are agnostic then it is more relevant. The engineers are just trying to show off.

Sure, I am gainfully employed.

Then; now starts your real education.... in a manner of speaking.
Though I must say something; I've seen 'freshers' and while they seemed to be silly, there was nothing silly about them.
Just that they had not orientated themselves enough. But that is a variable across different people and not so critical, once you think hard about it.

Engineering is no where near core science. And Engineering is just an art. More over, if the students who study core subjects like, physics, chem, maths, and even literature and then they say they are agnostic then it is more relevant. The engineers are just trying to show off.

Engineering is an ART ? :what:

Engineering is an ART ? :what:

It is an art of building things. Even a sculpture is an engineer. He cuts the stone in perfect angles with his hands and forms a statute. He knows the probability from mathematics that if he cuts the stone in this angle on this area, this will give him a desired output with 100% probability of stone turning in to a face.

It is an art of building things. Even a sculpture is an engineer. He cuts the stone in perfect angles with his hands and forms a statute. He knows the probability from mathematics that if he cuts the stone in this angle on this area, this will give him a desired output with 100% probability of stone turning in to a face.

Do all Engineers only build things ?

Do all Engineers only build things ?

according to my profession, I find testing a circuit and doing simulations on MATLAB, as an art. Those who study core subjects, are more into philosophy, engineering is not.

Then; now starts your real education.... in a manner of speaking.
Though I must say something; I've seen 'freshers' and while they seemed to be silly, there was nothing silly about them.
Just that they had not orientated themselves enough. But that is a variable across different people and not so critical, once you think hard about it.

I'd agree with the part that the real education so to speak only begins with work life, though in any real sense we are always learning.

When I used the term silly, it was more to do with lack of maturity and depth, that can only come from experience no matter how talented one might be.

In the context here, its more to do with people not questioning what they are told and accepting things at face value. Not believing in God for a lot of young people is just fashion that they imitate from the west as are most other things they tend to do.

The greatest of teacher teach you how to think as much as that can be taught, not what to think. Unfortunately, there is a serious dearth of such people even in the best of the world's institutions. Thus, my point that most people who pass out even from the best of institution don't really think for themselves and question things as much they ought to. That they gain with time and experience, if they are lucky.

That was longer than I intended it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom