What's new

李光耀 Lee Kuan Yew's Final Challenge to Democracy and the British/American Empire.

vi-va

Reaction score
Country
China
李光耀 Lee Kuan Yew's Final Challenge to Democracy and the British/American Empire.

The man on the left was the last British governor of HongKong.

01:25 I have never believed that the democracy brings progress
01:33 I know it to have brought regression
01:37 I watch it year by year every two years when I meet my fellow members of the leaders of the Commonwealth and it need not have been done
01:51 the British never governed these countries by one-man one-vote

Last edited:
Lee Kuan yew n us the Singaporean Chinese knows the British n their games well enough.

It's a bit of a sensationalist title. In fact LKY said before democracy is still the preferable political system in the very long run, because that's how you change an incompetent/corrupt government peacefully without a revolution.

What he's against are the exuberance of democracy when taken to the excesses, such as populism, an unfettered media, individual freedoms above the collectives' interest, or voting along racial/religious lines.

Contrary to what American political commentators say, I do not believe that democracy necessarily leads to development. I believe that what a country needs to develop is discipline more than democracy. The exuberance of democracy leads to undisciplined and disorderly conditions which are inimical to development. The ultimate test of the value of a political system is whether it helps that society to establish conditions which improve the standard of living for the majority of its people, plus enabling the maximum of personal freedoms compatible with the freedoms of others in society.

Let me give you an example that encapsulates the whole difference between America and Singapore. America has a vicious drug problem. How does it solve it? It goes around the world helping other anti-narcotic agencies to try and stop the suppliers... Singapore does not have that option. What we can do is to pass a law which says that any customs officer or policeman who sees anybody in Singapore behaving suspiciously... can require that man to have his urine tested. If the sample is found to contain drugs, the man immediately goes for treatment. In America if you did that it would be an invasion of the individual's rights and you would be sued.

Let me give you an example that encapsulates the whole difference between America and Singapore. America has a vicious drug problem. How does it solve it? It goes around the world helping other anti-narcotic agencies to try and stop the suppliers... Singapore does not have that option. What we can do is to pass a law which says that any customs officer or policeman who sees anybody in Singapore behaving suspiciously... can require that man to have his urine tested. If the sample is found to contain drugs, the man immediately goes for treatment. In America if you did that it would be an invasion of the individual's rights and you would be sued.

Now that Singapore solved its drug problem and USA has not. What is next ?? Does Singapore become the home to the next Intels, Google's and Microsoft's of the world ?

Now that Singapore solved its drug problem and USA has not. What is next ?? Does Singapore become the home to the next Intels, Google's and Microsoft's of the world ?

What's the relationship? The more drugs you have, the more Googles and Microsofts you have? Lmao.

Why his son is so pro-US is beyond me!

LKY himself is also pro-US.

Back
Top Bottom