What's new

Learning Warfare from War Video Games.

Can you learn Warfare tactics and methods playing these War games?

• Yes

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Maybe/Possibly

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Here are some video games like Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, and Halo.

Call of Duty: World At War

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Trailer

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare In-Game Play War Footage!

Metal Gear Solid 4: Ninja

Halo 3: Combat Footage of Mountain Warfare

The Topic and Focus of this thread, is War Video Games and actual Warfare.

1)Can you train someone in Warfare using these great realistic War game simulations?

2)Can playing these games teach you how to ambush, attack, defensive and offensive warfare, Gorilla warfare?

3)Can you learn how to lay siege on your enemies playing these games?

4)Can you learn battle strategy playing these games?

My personal opinion is YES to a CERTAIN EXTENT! I personally Have done ambushes, sieges, and other military tactics. I have learned somewhat how to conduct realistic military maneuvers playing these realistic games.

SNIPER ON THE ROOF!!! :sniper:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes to some extent but Reality is reality its totally different. But still these games are helpful.

really depends on the game. For example, in command and conquer:generals, shots never miss, you can blow up a tank by having riflemen fire repeatedly at it, and you take out a raptor using an RPG-7. hardly what you'd call realistic.

the best war strategy game i have ever played is Close combat: a bridge too far. it is old (1996), but amazing. it departs from traditional strategy games like command and conquer. in bridge too far, troops do not hit with every shot, with the success of each shot depending on the type of weapon, experience of the trooper, the distance to the enemy, experience of the enemy and the cover used by the enemy. Shots that do hit wound, kill or incapacitate troops. since the concept of hit points is not there, you can NEVER destroy a tank by having 10 platoons firing rifles at it. also, troops panic when they see overwhelming odds, and refuse to do unrealistic things like open fire on a tank with a sniper. also, there is no resource gathering, rather you get supplied with ammo and reinforcements depending on the quality of your leadership. definitely a great introduction to warfare.

so my verdict is that most games i have played are pretty unrealistic, but a few good ones out there can teach warfare to a limited extent.

Actually a lot of armies are now using computer sims to train troops

They are closer to sims like battlefield 2 et al.

Whilst i love the close combat series they don't give you the feel for the terrain.

They are nothing alike I'm afraid, you can absorb the same amount of information from a war movie, both are meant to entertain you. War is only entertaining on a screen.

Whilst i love the close combat series they don't give you the feel for the terrain.

Hey Keysersoze, do you know if the Pakistani military is using "computer sims to train troops"? Also I think it would be a good idea if they did, here in the USA they use battle simulation computer games to train soldier's and it seems to improve there battle experience, quickness, alertness, and overall performance.

By the way, I doubt the Pakistani military is using sims I understand they are expensive, but if for some reason they are I would like to know.

They are nothing alike I'm afraid, you can absorb the same amount of information from a war movie, both are meant to entertain you. War is only entertaining on a screen.

Actually Kharian the difference is in a War video game you the player are actively involved, in these realistic game you have to create & design battle strategies, you have to co-opt with a team, you have to decide when to engage and when not to engage the enemy, you have to decide which weapon is best for a specific environment, and many other decisions. You also have to make your own maneuvers. In a movie you DO NOT!!!

:toast_sign:

Actually Kharian the difference is in a War video game you the player are actively involved, in these realistic game you have to create & design battle strategies, you have to co-opt with a team, you have to decide when to engage and when not to engage the enemy, you have to decide which weapon is best for a specific environment, and many other decisions. You also have to make your own maneuvers. In a movie you DO NOT!!!

:toast_sign:

Trust me, video games are nothing more than just that...games. Now simulators are a whole different entity already well entrenched in the defense industry. Even the flying game for the PC made by Microsoft can teach you how to fly certain aircraft, but are you going to go try flying an aircraft even if you have memorized that game? Highly unlikely and it wouldn't be too successful.

I say no, these war games u get ahot about 1o times and you still live. You can still learn tactics, how to set up traps n stuff.

Hell, if every 1 had a hp bar in real world, and when every 1 got shot once, hp bar would decrease :p:lol: maybe then we can learn from video games.

Battlefield 2 is a great game, one of my favourites but like all games it is not realistic enough in my opinion. Most firefights in the game are for instance within 50 meters. And sniper rifles are only effective up to 150 meters. That's not very real...

I've heard there are games produced by the US Marine Core and all, but in my opinion the best way to train for armed combat is a nice paint-ball game! It's painful and real...that's where the fun and hardwork and pressure is...though the guns are pretty unaccurate compared to real rifles ofcourse.

REALISTIC COMPARISON! Okay Everyone Examine the first video very closely. Perhaps you can see some resembles between Metal Gear Solid 4 Urban combat to an actual fire fight in Iraq.

First Video: Metal Gear Solid 4: Urban Combat (Close Quarters) Fighting Scene

Second Video: US military soldiers/terrorist in Fallujah (Urban Combat)

Iraq US Soldiers/Terrorist in close quarter combat in a House

Last edited by a moderator:
i finished metal gear 4 and world at war nice games currently playing need for speed undercover and pro evolution soocer 2009 and end war

Metal of Gear is sick games, and call of duty 4 play it online sum times. Halo 3 is alright too, play it some times but gets boring.

Right now im laying Gears of War2, Best game ever :p

really depends on the game. For example, in command and conquer:generals, shots never miss, you can blow up a tank by having riflemen fire repeatedly at it, and you take out a raptor using an RPG-7. hardly what you'd call realistic.

the best war strategy game i have ever played is Close combat: a bridge too far. it is old (1996), but amazing. it departs from traditional strategy games like command and conquer. in bridge too far, troops do not hit with every shot, with the success of each shot depending on the type of weapon, experience of the trooper, the distance to the enemy, experience of the enemy and the cover used by the enemy. Shots that do hit wound, kill or incapacitate troops. since the concept of hit points is not there, you can NEVER destroy a tank by having 10 platoons firing rifles at it. also, troops panic when they see overwhelming odds, and refuse to do unrealistic things like open fire on a tank with a sniper. also, there is no resource gathering, rather you get supplied with ammo and reinforcements depending on the quality of your leadership. definitely a great introduction to warfare.

so my verdict is that most games i have played are pretty unrealistic, but a few good ones out there can teach warfare to a limited extent.

That's interesting one thing I have noticed is that Metal Gear Solid 4 a Military Tactical game is perhaps one of the best and realistic games that simulate actual warfare conditions and situations (for console gaming). I recommend checking the game out. In Metal Gear Solid 4 you are required to use deception and the famous words of Sun Tzu are "All Warfare is based on deception." This actually means a lot in the game as you are constantly sneaking, lurking, sniping, hiding, and evading enemies, and attacking targets...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom