Learning by Doing The Pakistan Army’s Experience with Counterinsurgency

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Some highlights that I'd like to make from the report:

-Inclusion of COIN tactics as a compulsory training module at PMA

-Concentration of maintaining good relationship with the civilians of the affected areas

-Maintenance of Pakistan Army's perception amongst the civilians

-Replacement of the traditional enemy (India) with terrorists in military exercises
* I would like to point out too that I met quite a few recent PMA graduates and they are extremely motivated against Terrorists, not Indians. The perception is that we are at war.

- Bureaucratic interia halting of institutions needed for maintenance of cleared areas from the influence of terrorists infiltration

-Inclusion of Psy-Ops doctrines (not cited in such words originally in the report, my own emphasis from US PSYOPS manuals) especially careful naming of the operations: Rah-e-Najahat and so on

-Army's sensitivities to the demographics of the strategy (Pakhtun culture needed to be understood)

-Re-establishment of the Frontier Corps (FC) as an active force to challenge the terrorists

-American paradoxical pressures on the Army e.g. mandatory recalling of attack helicopters back to the US to check if it is not being used against India

-Promotion of those officers active in the anti-insurgency operations

Hey, Capt. good to see you. I tried to mention Kirat and a few others but their names don't show up. Thought I was doing something wrong :(

Hey, Capt. good to see you. I tried to mention Kirat and a few others but their names don't show up. Thought I was doing something wrong :(

Get the spellings right, that is important. @KRAIT is not Kirat :)
Tag @muse as well. OK; I've done it already (without your permission, ;)) He can provide some good inputs too.
Most of all thaks for the PDF. I'll just read it before responding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the spellings right, that is important. @KRAIT is not Kirat :)
Tag @muse as well. OK; I've done it already (without your permission, ;)) He can provide some good inputs too.
Most of all thaks for the PDF. I'll just read it before responding.

Thanks a million Capt. for mentioning them, please feel free to tag more people who you think would critique the report and our contemporary situation well (the report is of 2011 though, pretty recent in terms of academic materials available). Please take your time to read the report.

Thanks a million Capt. for mentioning them, please feel free to tag more people who you think would critique the report and our contemporary situation well (the report is of 2011 though, pretty recent in terms of academic materials available). Please take your time to read the report.

You're welcome, amigo. Wihout being too intrusive; may I suggest two more names for the discussion: @nuclearpak and @RazorMC, who can bring value to the discussion. Please tag them too if you so wish.

p.s. changes with permission of jaibi.

You're welcome, amigo. Wihout being too intrusive; may I suggest two more names for the discussion: NuclearPak and RazorMC, who can bring value to the discussion. Please tag them too if you so wish.
Capt. tag all who you think would be good at the discussion. You're a veteran here, I'm new I don't know as many thinking guys here as you do. So tag away!

:lol: you've already brought members in by mentioning.

I mentioned a few more but just got empty '@' instead. Capt.Popeye informed me that it was because I did not spell their names correctly, and I thought it was because I was doing something wrong.

I mentioned a few more but just got empty '@' instead. Capt.Popeye informed me that it was because I did not spell their names correctly, and I thought it was because I was doing something wrong.

my internet is bit slow the site is taking time to load. But can u tell me which source is it?
Western or indian or anyother one who wishes to learn from Pak army's experience?

my internet is bit slow the site is taking time to load. But can u tell me which source is it?
Western or indian or anyother one who wishes to learn from Pak army's experience?

It is from a US think-Tank that Shuja Nawaz is associated with; the 'Atlantic Council' in USA.

:lol: you've already brought members in by mentioning.

Yes he did it quite correct the first time itself. Then I tagged you again; Razor you seem to be quite high in the popularity sweep-stakes! ;)

Interesting part from report,

"When the Pakistan Army rolled into FATA after 9/11, they
faced a wall of resentment as an “alien force” doing the
bidding of a foreign power, the United States. Locals said
that even their uniforms were “American,” referring to
the camouflage pattern of the shirts and pants that the
Pakistan Army sported. In Balochistan, according to one
former inspector general of the Frontier Force, the locals
often said that these Pakistani soldiers were not Muslims
since they urinated while standing up (as opposed to the
local custom of squatting, to prevent oneself from being
soiled by urine, making one impure for prayers according to