What's new

Laotian pick of pro-Vietnam leader highlights shift away from China

Reashot Xigwin

Reaction score
Pick of pro-Vietnam leader highlights shift away from China
TAMAKI KYOZUKA, Nikkei staff writer

0205N-Laos-Bounnyang_article_thumbnail.jpg

Newly elected Secretary-General Bounnhang Vorachit forged deep ties with Vietnam.

VIENTIANE -- The ascension of the vice president to lead the ruling Laotian communist party signaled the country's move away from its dependence on China, given his deep ties to Vietnam. But it remains to be seen whether Laos can accomplish that feat while maintaining a strong economy.

Changing of the guard

During the twice-a-decade party congress ended Jan. 22, outgoing Secretary-General Choummaly Sayasone, who served double duty as president, passed the torch to Bounnhang Vorachit, who at 78 is one year younger than him. Though the secretary-general typically serves two five-year terms, Bounnhang likely will serve only one term due to his age.

The relationship with neighbor Vietnam, the big-brother figure that supported the 1975 formation of modern Laos, spurred the congress to look past Bounnhang's age and elect him. His ties to Hanoi go back to the early 1950s when he first joined the Laotian revolutionary movement and later underwent military training in Vietnam.

However, China has overshadowed Vietnam's influence in recent years. In 2012, Chinese investment in Laos outpaced that of Vietnam, a source at the Japan External Trade Organization's office here said. That influx of funds underpinned the rapid economic growth of Laos.

Somsavat Lengsavad, the departing deputy prime minister, was a China backer who held considerable influence with the old Laotian leadership. He also is said to be behind the majority of government projects, such as the $6 billion rail line and the launch of Laos' first satellite into orbit.

But with China and Vietnam at odds over issues such as territorial rights concerning the Paracel Islands, Laos finds itself unable to maintain its Chinese bent without spurning Vietnam. The Chinese economic slowdown added to the urgency in reducing the dependence on China, so out went Somsavat and in came Bounnhang.

Stumbling blocks ahead?

Yet Laos may be unable to wean itself off China, said Norihiko Yamada, a researcher at the Institute of Developing Economies based in Japan. Not only does China loom large over the economy, the younger generation working at government agencies has been brought up by the pro-China faction. In addition, a pro-China cabinet may be formed as the result of elections in March.

The Lao People's Revolutionary Party spelled out guiding principles during January's congress. They include maintaining a 7.5% annual growth rate through 2020, shedding the nation's least-developed-country status by the same year and becoming an upper-middle-income nation by 2030.

see more at: Laotian politics: Pick of pro-Vietnam leader highlights shift away from China- Nikkei Asian Review

Some reasons given in the article are laughable... if u get what i mean.

Laotien is trusted people. we respect them.

Pick of pro-Vietnam leader highlights shift away from China
TAMAKI KYOZUKA, Nikkei staff writer

0205N-Laos-Bounnyang_article_thumbnail.jpg

Newly elected Secretary-General Bounnhang Vorachit forged deep ties with Vietnam.

VIENTIANE -- The ascension of the vice president to lead the ruling Laotian communist party signaled the country's move away from its dependence on China, given his deep ties to Vietnam. But it remains to be seen whether Laos can accomplish that feat while maintaining a strong economy.

Changing of the guard

During the twice-a-decade party congress ended Jan. 22, outgoing Secretary-General Choummaly Sayasone, who served double duty as president, passed the torch to Bounnhang Vorachit, who at 78 is one year younger than him. Though the secretary-general typically serves two five-year terms, Bounnhang likely will serve only one term due to his age.

The relationship with neighbor Vietnam, the big-brother figure that supported the 1975 formation of modern Laos, spurred the congress to look past Bounnhang's age and elect him. His ties to Hanoi go back to the early 1950s when he first joined the Laotian revolutionary movement and later underwent military training in Vietnam.

However, China has overshadowed Vietnam's influence in recent years. In 2012, Chinese investment in Laos outpaced that of Vietnam, a source at the Japan External Trade Organization's office here said. That influx of funds underpinned the rapid economic growth of Laos.

Somsavat Lengsavad, the departing deputy prime minister, was a China backer who held considerable influence with the old Laotian leadership. He also is said to be behind the majority of government projects, such as the $6 billion rail line and the launch of Laos' first satellite into orbit.

But with China and Vietnam at odds over issues such as territorial rights concerning the Paracel Islands, Laos finds itself unable to maintain its Chinese bent without spurning Vietnam. The Chinese economic slowdown added to the urgency in reducing the dependence on China, so out went Somsavat and in came Bounnhang.

Stumbling blocks ahead?

Yet Laos may be unable to wean itself off China, said Norihiko Yamada, a researcher at the Institute of Developing Economies based in Japan. Not only does China loom large over the economy, the younger generation working at government agencies has been brought up by the pro-China faction. In addition, a pro-China cabinet may be formed as the result of elections in March.

The Lao People's Revolutionary Party spelled out guiding principles during January's congress. They include maintaining a 7.5% annual growth rate through 2020, shedding the nation's least-developed-country status by the same year and becoming an upper-middle-income nation by 2030.

see more at: Laotian politics: Pick of pro-Vietnam leader highlights shift away from China- Nikkei Asian Review

Good article, but the point remains: China looms ahead as the power broker in Laos' long term future . Trade wise , China offers a whole potential. My guess is that Laos will be considerate to both; play politic with Hanoi, yet bolster economic trade with Beijing.

Win Win Scenario.

Sticky rice for all!

Good article, but the point remains: China looms ahead as the power broker in Laos' long term future . Trade wise , China offers a whole potential. My guess is that Laos will be considerate to both; play politic with Hanoi, yet bolster economic trade with Beijing.

Win Win Scenario.

Sticky rice for all!
whenever we are in crisis, facing external threat, the loatian people lean on Vietnam. luckily we are not at war with the chinese, I think the best way for Laos is leaning on Vietnam for security, and China for economy. yes, Win-win.

whenever we are in crisis, facing external threat, the loatian people lean on Vietnam. luckily we are not at war with the chinese, I think the best way for Laos is leaning on Vietnam for security, and China for economy. yes, Win-win.
I find it puzzling how a small relatively poor country like Vietnam has so much influence over its neighbors in IndoChina, even challenging Chinese influence in these countries single-handedly. impressive i must say.

I find it puzzling how a small relatively poor country like Vietnam has so much influence over its neighbors in IndoChina, even challenging Chinese influence in these countries single-handedly. impressive i must say.

the remnant of Vietnam War mostly, their invasion over Cambodia and politics incursion toward mostly Communist Party in Indochina had left legacy until today

We control Vietnam politics with the re-election of our moth Trong and in turn Trong control Lao politics. The circle of life. LOL

the remnant of Vietnam War mostly, their invasion over Cambodia and politics incursion toward mostly Communist Party in Indochina had left legacy until today
Why Cambodia is so anti - Vietnam? You shall know Hung Sen stance regards between China and Vietnam? Hung Sen is used to be a pro vietnam and is in fact goes to power with help from VCP but once vietnam left Cambodia. Hung Sen is smart to know who can really help in progress of Cambodia.

You are wrong. Our strong bond to Laos goes back for centuries when the country was a part of the Khmer empire. We cut Laos from present day Cambodia not only to weaken the Khmer but create a buffer state to the Kingdom of Siam, present day Thailand.

Why Cambodia is so anti - Vietnam? You shall know Hung Sen stance regards between China and Vietnam? Hung Sen is used to be a pro vietnam and is in fact goes to power with help from VCP but once vietnam left Cambodia. Hung Sen is smart to know who can really help in progress of Cambodia.

What you saying is more fit with Sam Rainsy. Hun Sen is kind of more pro-US after Vietnam quit, just read his biography, he play hedging game at best and his son is well know for being pro-USA as he spend much his time there. Also Hun Sen is kind of want to make his son run for election to take his post rather than leave it to other people

Last edited:

Yes, pho and dim sum with sticky rice !

8-)

Well, cant blame them though,any power with the capabilities ought to protect and further their interests as much as they can. Just like U.S,Russia, U.K,France etc do. The rest is secondary.
In this regard, I will give Vietnam a 8/10 in its ability to coerce some of its neighbours to toe their line and further their interests/influence. For a country their size, wealth and status they sure are good in maintaining control/influence in their region.
I WAS EVEN shocked when I found out that Vietnam controls more islands/territory in SCS/spratlys than any other country in Asia by quite a margin. THAT'S VERY IMPRESSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST. :agree:. To my Vietnamese buddies here :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom