What's new

Lahore Blasts

I second this request. This section should be for Pakistani nationals only, the rest can be open to our international members.

My condolences to the families of the deceased.

I would be against restricting the access to any thread just based on the "flag" on member's profile, several reasons

1) It is against principles of free exchange of ideas.

2) Mods have enough measures as it is to deal with inept nincompoops, irrespective of their country of origin.

3) May lead to creating of false profiles, Mods would have resort to checking IP address etc... in short increased time and effort in screening process.

4) Selectively banning certain sections of forum would imply that "inept nincompoops" and their silly comments are tolerable in other sections.

Just my 2 cents

does other sects pronounced deobandis as kafir???
when such statement was made???
did that made when Data darbar was attacked????

No one pronounces Deobandi's as Kafirs but if some sect were to do so, they would be excluded from Islam and the death penatly would be inflicted upon them according to Maulana Shafi Deobandi (1896-1976).

This statement was made in 1953 after the ulema was questioned by Justice Munir and Justice Kiyani for their role in the 1953 agitations.

Death toll from Lahore bombings rises to 31

LAHORE: The death toll from three suicide bombings in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore rose to 31 on Thursday as six people succumbed to their injuries, a rescue official said.

Three suicide bombers targeted a Shia mourning procession near Karbala Gamay Shah, made up of thousands of people on Wednesday at the moment of the breaking of the fast in the holy month of Ramazan.

“Thirty-one people have died and a total of 281 were injured,” Fahim Jehanzeb, a spokesman for Lahore's rescue agency told AFP, adding that he feared more would die from their injuries.

Reacting violently to the explosions, people in the procession attacked a police building, set public property on fire and fought with riot police for more than an hour.

The blasts, two of which the police confirmed were suicide attacks, took place in a span of 20 minutes despite what appeared to be tight police security.

Witnesses said a suicide bomber blew himself up at a security barrier at Karbala Gamay Shah chowk at around 7pm when a large number of people were there after the culmination of the main procession.

According to the website of an Urdu newspaper, the group named Lashkar-i-Jhanghvi Al Aalmi claimed responsibility for the attack. Police said they had no information about any such claim.

The attack came at a time when all those connected with the procession must have been looking forward to relax after a day of fasting and mourning. They had broken the fast and the Maghrib prayers were to be offered.

The procession had reached the destination and the law-enforcement personnel must have heaved a sigh of relief at having seen the rally through.

The attack was followed five minutes later by another blast, said to be caused by a timed device, around the nearby Bhati chowk.

The third blast, again a suicide attack, took place at the traffic signal at the chowk.

People, including women and children, fled in all directions in panic.

Deputy Inspector General of Police (operations) Rao Sardar Ali Khan told Dawn that the two bombers had exploded themselves after having been stopped at barriers by policemen. At least seven policemen were injured.

The DIG said police had found two skulls and limbs believed to be of the suicide bombers and sent them for forensic examination.

He said police were uncertain about the nature of the third blast which also could have been a suicide explosion.

He said police had anticipated that such attacks could take place and maximum security measures had been taken for the procession.

People started raising slogans against police after the second blast.

As soon as the third blast took place, they divided into groups, pelted police with stones and set government and private vehicles on fire.

A large number of policemen, who were also divided into groups to counter the protesters, first acted in a defensive manner. But after the mob let off a volley of stones on the Lower Mall police station and set some motorcycles and vehicles on fire, they hit back.

Riot police fired in the air to disperse the mob.

The protesters damaged both gates and lights of the city division police building.

Police managed to disperse the mob at about 8.30pm.

The protesters criticised police for failing to maintain security and chanted slogans against the PML-N leadership and the Punjab police.

“A bearded suicide bomber managed to sneak past the first barrier and blew himself up at the second,” Mohammad Waseem of Pakpattan, who was serving drinks to people after the Iftar, said.

Soon after the first blast, police cordoned off the area and did not allow people to leave, he said.

A young woman running away from the area with a child in her arms cried out aloud: “Policemen are saying that a transformer has exploded, but my sister has been killed in the blast. She had small children.”

Ambulances of Rescue 1122, Edhi and other services shifted the injured to the Mayo, Services and Ganga Ram hospitals where a state of emergency was declared.

The fires were extinguished after the protesters had been dispersed.

Some Rangers’ vehicles also arrived at the place.

Two cases have been registered by the New Anarkali and Bhatti Gate police under the Pakistan Penal Code and the Explosives and Anti-Terrorism Acts.

Police and Rangers personnel maintained strict security in the area till late in the night.

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif announced a compensation of Rs500,000 for the heirs of each of those killed and Rs75,000 for each injured person.

Mass funeral prayer held in Lahore

LAHORE: Funeral prayers of three victims of the Gamay Shah blast have been offered in different areas of Lahore.

The funeral prayers for 14-year-old Hafiz Wahab and 12-year-old Ibrar were offered in Eid Gah.

The two martyrs were burried at the Miani Sahib graveyard.

Meanwhile, funeral prayers for Mazhar Sheikh were offered at Imam Bargah Mochi Gate and he was burried at the Firdousia graveyard on Ferozpur Road.

Amongst the victims were also three members of a family, while two were injured after serials blasts rocked Lahore last night.

Rehmat Ali, a resident of Taxali gate, was killed along with his four-year-old son Hasan Ali and nephew Ghulam Sabir.

Ali’s wife and other son are in critical condition and have been shifted to the hospital.

Speaking to Express News, his family demanded the government take strict action against the culprits to stop terror activities in the city

My condolences to the families of the deceased.

I would be against restricting the access to any thread just based on the "flag" on member's profile, several reasons

1) It is against principles of free exchange of ideas.

2) Mods have enough measures as it is to deal with inept nincompoops, irrespective of their country of origin.

3) May lead to creating of false profiles, Mods would have resort to checking IP address etc... in short increased time and effort in screening process.

4) Selectively banning certain sections of forum would imply that "inept nincompoops" and their silly comments are tolerable in other sections.

Just my 2 cents

It is against principles of free exchange of ideas.

1. The trolling is getting totally out of hand here.

2. This is a National section. Leave other sections like Strategic Affairs, World Affairs etc open for all.

3. A simpler solution would be to only allow Senior members post on such sections, newbies can post on other sections.

1. The trolling is getting totally out of hand here.

2. This is a National section. Leave other sections like Strategic Affairs, World Affairs etc open for all.

3. A simpler solution would be to only allow Senior members post on such sections, newbies can post on other sections.

That would leave me high and dry:cry:........ Just cos a member is Senior doesn't mean that he/she always has something meaningful to add or a newbie can't contribute constructively................. correct??

That would leave me high and dry:cry:........ Just cos a member is Senior doesn't mean that he/she always has something meaningful to add or a newbie can't contribute constructively................. correct??

Mods have enough measures as it is to deal with inept nincompoops, irrespective of their country of origin.

I don't want to get into the MOD debate, they do their jobs well here.

Selectively banning certain sections of forum would imply that "inept nincompoops" and their silly comments are tolerable in other sections.

As far am im concerned they can troll members club :P, BTW posting propaganda is prohibited under forum rules.

Correct, but i still think this is a NATIONAL section and should only be accessible by select senior members/MP/Think Tanks. I don't want to draw parallels but other forums apply a similar rule, i don't see why PDF can't do the same.

Paladin, it will be hard to 'ban' foreign nationals alone from this section. SO what do u propose:

1) Banning all who do not have a Pakistani IP address: It would prevent all non-resident pakistanis (yourself included), who make up a significant number of Pakistanis on this forum, from posting in this section. Basically this section will become dry as ditchwater

2) Banning all who do not have a Pakistani flag on their profile: A bit more rational, but it would cause many new members to simply put a Pak flag on their profile. It will encourage 'fakers', who will just put a Pak flag. Not to mention that it would prevent Afghans, Americans and British, who are also part of this war, from participating.

Besides, its not in the spirit of this forum to restrict members based on nationality. This forum is so respected because it is about as neutral as a national defence forum can be. changing the fabric of that will destroy the essence of this forum.

Paladin, it will be hard to 'ban' foreign nationals alone from this section. SO what do u propose:

1) Banning all who do not have a Pakistani IP address: It would prevent all non-resident pakistanis (yourself included), who make up a significant number of Pakistanis on this forum, from posting in this section. Basically this section will become dry as ditchwater

2) Banning all who do not have a Pakistani flag on their profile: A bit more rational, but it would cause many new members to simply put a Pak flag on their profile. It will encourage 'fakers', who will just put a Pak flag. Not to mention that it would prevent Afghans, Americans and British, who are also part of this war, from participating.

Besides, its not in the spirit of this forum to restrict members based on nationality. This forum is so respected because it is about as neutral as a national defence forum can be. changing the fabric of that will destroy the essence of this forum.

^

I am all for non Pakistani's posting here. So long as they have something worthwhile to post, and just like officer's club it would be nice to have an area where Senior members are allowed to post rather then have the odd 20 posts Pakistani/Foreign poster come and spam flamers.

"No one pronounces Deobandi's as Kafirs but if some sect were to do so, they would be excluded from Islam and the death penatly would be inflicted upon them according to Maulana Shafi Deobandi (1896-1976).

This statement was made in 1953 after the ulema was questioned by Justice Munir and Justice Kiyani for their role in the 1953 agitations."

The problem is that no one in Pakistan declares Deobandis "kafirs", or condemns their ideology. People like to make a distinction between Deobandis and groups like Sipah-e-Sahaba, Lashkr-e-Jhangvi, TTP (who they believe are sponsored by the enemies of Pakistan) etc; when I believe they are of the same ilk. Many Pakistanis believe Deobandis are the most pious Muslims, definitely better than Shias, Bareilvis (who are considered second-rate Muslims) etc; hence they have sympathy for them and the extremist ideologies they have. That is the core problem for sectarianism in Pakistan. Extremists can very easily become terrorists if one provides these people the right "incentives". To address this whole sectarianism crisis, we have to address the issue much more deeply than saying "we condemn these attacks, or a Muslim could not be responsible for such attacks, or these attacks are sponsored by RAW, Mossad, CIA, Pakistan haters". We have to bring back the Bareilvi influences into the country we had pre-Zia. Somehow. And jail people like Amir Liaqat for having the guts of saying anyone is Wajib-ul-Qatal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistanis believe Deobandis are the most pious Muslims, and definitely better than Shias, Bareilvis etc; hence they have sympathy for them, and the extremist ideologies they have.

Well if you so categorically mention "pakistanis" here then that includes pakistani Shias, Barelvis, Ahmadis etc as well.

So you mean to say that all these different sects themselves believe that they are some what inferior to "deobandis"?? Or your definition of "pakistanis" does not take into account the existence of shias, barelvis and ahmedis etc?

I can understand if the deobandis claim they are the most pious and blah blah blah. But how come you speak on behalf of whole paksiatn?

"No one pronounces Deobandi's as Kafirs but if some sect were to do so, they would be excluded from Islam and the death penatly would be inflicted upon them according to Maulana Shafi Deobandi (1896-1976).

This statement was made in 1953 after the ulema was questioned by Justice Munir and Justice Kiyani for their role in the 1953 agitations."

The problem is that no one in Pakistan declares Deobandis "kafirs", or condemns their ideology. People like to make a distinction between Deobandis and groups like Sipah-e-Sahaba, Lashkr-e-Jhangvi etc; when I believe they are of the same ilk. Pakistanis believe Deobandis are the most pious Muslims, definitely better than Shias, Bareilvis (who are considered second-rate Muslims) etc; hence they have sympathy for them, and the extremist ideologies they have. That is the core problem for sectarianism in Pakistan. Extremists can very easily become terrorists if one provides these people the right "incentives". To address this whole sectarianism crisis, we have to address the issue much more deeply than saying "we condemn these attacks, or these attacks are sponsored by RAW, Mossad, CIA, Pakistan haters". We have to bring back the Bareilvi influences into the country we had pre-Zia. Somehow. And jail people like Amir Liaqat for having the guts of saying anyone is Wajib-ul-Qatl.

Total and utter nonsense, how can you make such ridiculous claims without any source or empirical evidence to back it up? Im sorry abut that post reads like total self serving BS.

Lahore mourns triple bombing as death toll rises

LAHORE: The death toll from suicide attacks that targeted a busy procession in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore rose to 31 on Thursday as six people succumbed to their injuries, officials said.

Three suicide bombers targeted a Shia mourning procession made up of thousands of people on Wednesday at the moment of the breaking of the fast in the holy month of Ramazan, wounding hundreds.

It was the first major attack in Pakistan since devastating floods engulfed a fifth of the volatile country over the past month in its worst disaster yet.

“Thirty-one people have died and a total of 281 were injured,” Fahim Jehanzeb, a spokesman for Lahore's rescue agency told AFP, adding that he feared more would die from their injuries.

Sajjad Bhutta, a senior local administration official, also confirmed the new death toll.

A mass funeral was hastily arranged for later in the day with police and paramilitary providing tight security, while local authorities announced a day of mourning with all public and private institutions closed.

An AFP reporter said that all markets were closed and the roads were quiet on Thursday, after the attacks provoked an outpouring of fury in the city a night earlier, with mourners trying to torch a nearby police station.

Police fired tear gas to force back the surging crowd as furious mourners beat the bodies of the suicide bombers with sticks and shoes, while others beat their own heads and chests at the site of the attacks in frustration.

The emotional crowd chanted slogans against the police and the provincial government over their failure to protect the Shia procession, an AFP correspondent on the scene said.

Lahore, a city of eight million, has been increasingly subject to Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked attacks in a nationwide bombing campaign that has killed more than 3,600 people in three years.

The procession hit by the blasts was being held to mark the anniversary of the martyrdom of Hazarat Ali, who is revered by Shia Muslims and is the son-in-law of the Prophet Mohammed.

Shias account for around 20 per cent of Pakistan's mostly Sunni Muslim population of 160 million.

Religious violence in Pakistan, mostly between Sunni and Shiite groups, has killed more than 4,000 people in the past decade, and it is not the first time Lahore has seen bombers target religious gatherings. – AFP

It is a fact that Shias represent about 20% of Pakistan, hence they are in the minority, and Sunnis are the majority. There are good and bad Shias and Sunnis in Pakistan, but unfortunately with the Deobandi influences from the Madrassahs, you can see the Bareilvi and peace-loving influence dying in many Sunnis, the same ideology that brought Islam to the sub-continent in the first place.

I can speak on the behalf of Pakistan because I have been told a few times that I am not a Muslim from different people, because I'm Shia. This thought is especially more prevalent from people who attend Deobandi Madrassahs where anti-Shia and anti-everything sentiments are preached. You probably know that at one point, some "religious leaders" from these extremist/terrorist groups declared Shias to be Wajib-ul-Qatal, and this whole propaganda against Shias was preached. My uncle, who was a doctor was killed in Maleer at that time, by the same extremists, for being a Shia doctor providing people with free healthcare and medicines. I love Pakistan to the core, but we need to free people from this vermin Deobandi ideology, that btw is increasing rapidly in India too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom