What's new

Kiyani Demands US Limit Drone Attacks and Operations

Why Shuja Pasha returned early from his visit to US?-

1. He refused to alter Kiyani's demand on reducing US intelligence/military operations in Pakistan, which means there was nothing else the Americans wanted to talk about and therefore there was no point in staying any longer.

2. The ISI/CIA reached an understanding earlier than expected on how to proceed in the future - that might have involved a compromise on drone strikes and US military/intelligence operations in Pakistan.

Lets face it Pakistan cant do much they signed the kerry lugal bill and they get aid from IMF too they are in this knee deep nothing will change

Pakistan signed nothing on the KLB - that is purely a domestic US matter, it imposes no obligations on Pakistan. There is a built in Presidential waiver in any case, and it did not cover drone strikes or violations of Pakistani sovereignty by the US.

And finally, in terms of actual disbursements under the KLL, the amount is 'peanuts'.

Pakistan signed nothing on the KLB - that is purely a domestic US matter, it imposes no obligations on Pakistan. There is a built in Presidential waiver in any case, and it did not cover drone strikes or violations of Pakistani sovereignty by the US.

And finally, in terms of actual disbursements under the KLL, the amount is 'peanuts'.

klb was signed and it says Pakistan must support the war on terror i have read it

So who is the U.S. supposed to listen to, the general or the government? Or do you think there will be another coup soon?
I don't think there will be a coup over the drone strikes.

At least I hope Kiyani is not so stupid as to give Zardari and the PPP another 'life line' or 'get out of jail free card' - the PPP needs to complete its term and Pakistanis need to see (if it cannot turn things around in the time it has left) how incompetent this party and its leadership is.

A coup would allow the PPP to argue that the 'establishment did not allow it to complete its term and prevented it from accomplishing its goal of turning Pakistan into heaven on earth'. Let them complete their term and ask for votes based on what they did in the five years they governed Pakistan.

klb was signed and it says Pakistan must support the war on terror i have read it

It is a US law outlining aid to Pakistan, not an international agreement between the US and Pakistan. Pakistan is under no obligation to do anything outlined in the KLL - it is the US that has to make the determination of whether Pakistan is fulfilling the conditions or not.

Similarly, the US is under no obligation to disburse aid to Pakistan even if Pakistan delivered 200% cooperation in the WoT, regardless of what the KLL states.

What about Bharati support for TTP and BLA? Well I suppose they probably discussed it privately, but didn't go public about it.

maybe you have some inside information so you are already placing a bet.

I wont go as far as putting bets on something so serious in nature. Its not Xbox live my dear. Every time someone is pressing the button to release the hellfire missile there is a chance that it wont kill the intended target and result in an undesirable loss of lives.
Therefore it is important that the operator is not a reckless pillock who places a “bet” with his mates that he will fire a hellfire before his shift ends. Thus instead of eliminating a terrorist and ensuring safety of the USA, he can potentially create more hostiles that could be used by the terrorists to vent their anger and revenge.

And by the way, read the title post again, the demand is not for altogether stoppage but for the caution and/or reduced use of drone strikes. The problem is the collateral damage due to the reckless use with weak or inaccurate ground intelligence.

But if there is a positive ID about a very high value target then the strike might happen today, you don’t have to go as far as Friday to place your bet.

But if its your “wish” (instead of a bet) that there is a drone stike that results in more collateral resulting in more instability and problems for Pakistan and United states in the war against their common enemy then I hope and pray that your wish never comes true.

Amen

As much as it seems to be a good news for you right now, maybe it might stem the flow of people becoming radical in short term. But a government administration has to think in long term. Taliban and all its elements were there even before US arrived in 2001 in Afghanistan. So tell me, what long term plan do you think is a solution in order to civilize the Talibans other than drone strikes?

Special forces? That means putting the lives of Pakistani soldiers online only for them to die a ruthless death at the hands of these no-gooders. I know another country doing the job is not right but in such desperate circumstances where PAF doesn't own any killer drone technology equal to Predator and Reaper, CIA's drones make some sense.

This is just my opinion because I know there are a lot of innocent as well who get caught in crossfire. But this is a warzone between armed forces and radical madmen hell bent on destroying the entire South Asian sphere. And since we all are humans, we will have some casualties who had nothing to do with terrorism. It is the unfortunate side-effect of every war.

When there is an infection, you give aggressive treatment. In such cases you don't tread carefully. Kill the parasites first, see the source of infection(IE Hideouts, Madrassas, collection centers etc), do surgical clearing.
Now when this is done you talk of resettling the other organs.

I would say, do carpet bombing, and I would be more than happy to see our TTP die in the process..

Are we talking about the past Taliban regime or the current situation?

The above does not establish any Pakistani government or military support for the Taliban in the present.

The alleged complicity of the ISI/Pakistan Army/Pakistan government's involvement with the Taliban (Afghan Taliban) has not been proven for the past either, which is why no one has declared the ISI a 'terrorist organization', or blacklisted it or anything of the sorts. The Pakistani establishment has supported the Mujahideen in the past, but the alleged involvement with the Taliban has yet to be proven, besides the conjecture used by Western journalists & conspiracy theorists.

No high ranking official has ever stated that the "Pakistani regime supported the Taliban", neither has the Pakistani government/ISI/Army ever accepted this to be true.

...No high ranking official has ever stated that the "Pakistani regime supported the Taliban", neither has the Pakistani government/ISI/Army ever accepted this to be true.

“In the long run, America will not have the stomach to bear the burden of staying in Afghanistan,” the officer continued, still seeming to ignore the presence of the American intelligence chief. “And when the Americans pull out, India will reign. Therefore, the Pakistanis will have to sustain the contacts with the opposition to the Afghanistan government meaning the Taliban so when the Americans pull out, it’s a friendly government to Pakistan. “Therefore,” the officer concluded with a flourish, “we must support the Taliban”, two-star general announced in the meeting in the presence of US spymaster.link

“In the long run, America will not have the stomach to bear the burden of staying in Afghanistan,” the officer continued, still seeming to ignore the presence of the American intelligence chief. “And when the Americans pull out, India will reign. Therefore, the Pakistanis will have to sustain the contacts with the opposition to the Afghanistan government meaning the Taliban so when the Americans pull out, it’s a friendly government to Pakistan. “Therefore,” the officer concluded with a flourish, “we must support the Taliban”, two-star general announced in the meeting in the presence of US spymaster.link

This is CoinCentral & Rauf Klasra talking my friend, not any Pakistani general. No Pakistani general has ever been on record claiming any of this, it has been categorically been denied. So this article is nothing but hearsay, wild speculation to say the least. This blog is not enough to convict anyone in a court of law, so might as well forget quoting it. Are you claiming this is a reliable source? Do you want me to produce all the articles where the CIA has aided Jundullah, TTP, covert ops in Pakistan?

What is a disgrace to Pakistan's soverignty is the existance of terrorists, Taliban jihadists and al Qaida, within N. parts and elsewhere within Paksitan. These thugs and murderers are the enemy of all Pakistanis and the incommon enemy of Pakistan, Afghanistan and NATO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom