What's new

Kerala, Tamil Nadu face off over Mullaperiyar dam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not get into ad-hominems because it does not serve the discussion.

Yet again tamilians are toeing the ridiculous 999 year pact line. So tell me......how many dams have stood the test of time for 999 YEARS?! Our government has already stated that not a single drop of water will be denied to the people of TN.......and yet you pricks are not satisfied. Its even more ridiculous and humiliating considering, that the dam is under Kerala govt. administration.

Again we are just asking Kerala to respect the 1970 renewal of the past agreement. The original agreement can be said to be imposed on the Travancore Maharaja by the mighty British. But what about the 1970 Agreement between the equally powerful States of Kerala and Tamil Nadu ?

Why are you blaming us for claiming our 'legal' rights ? We just want our legal rights to be respected which your government willingly signed in 1970.

And the dam is under TN control. not Kerala.

Lol....famine? TN govt. can easily re-route the water channel networks and establish supply routes to compensate for water deficiency during the reconstruction period.

From where to re-route ? Kaveri already depends on Karnataka's whims and fancy. Vaigai is dry for most part of the year. Both Palar and Pennar are no more. Only Tamiraparani flows somewhat which is sufficient for Tirunelveli alone.

Sorry mate, we need the water more than ever.

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

@Shabz,

The first thing you need to know is that everyone supports the construction of the new dam so that it is made strong. The only things is post-construction Kerala is not willing to give us the control of the new dam according to the 1970 Agreement. I think that is the stumbling block in the negotiations.

Do you think we enjoy seeing Kerala flooded ?

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

What stubborn & adamant position? We need a new dam as the old one has outlived its life. Even modern concrete dams burst due to earthquake, while this dam is made of just limestone and jaggery.The lease is for 999 years, so sooner or latter a new dam has to be built as no dam can stand for this much time. So why can't build a new dam now?

The stumbling block is the Kerala Govt's refusal to give the control of the new dam to TN as is required by the 1970 Agreement.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Btw....like Marxist mentioned, kerala govt. Is seriously considering re-routing the water channel networks and connecting them to mullapperiyar. Once that happens...... you guys won't get any water....at all.

And no, you can't do jack about it either....except maybe "protest".

Stupid things like those only serve as political ammunition for hardliners like Vaiko, Thiruma who will then disrupt the food/vegetable supply to Kerala from Tamil Nadu and also interfere in the electricity transmission.

It will be a loss-loss for both states which should be avoided.

The mallus want Tamil people to beg water from their newly built dam.Kerala puts pressure on people to immigrate near the dam by putting their lives at danger and using them to play the victim card to TN govt.:lol:

The mallus want Tamil people to beg water from their newly bulit dam.

They have a valid point regarding the safety of the dam.

But if their Govt is ready to abide by the 1970 Agreement post-construction , I guess TN govt will not have any objection to it.

There is no way the dam can be strengthened further. You really dont have a fallback measure to compensate for the leeched lime. Add to that 119 years for sustained and disproportionate stress levels on the dam structure. YES, reconstruction is needed....

And yes, your government is feeding you and the rest of your people propaganda bits.

Its sad to see nazis in TN playing politics during a time of crisis as this.

There is no way the dam can be strengthened further. You really dont have a fallback measure to compensate for the leeched lime. Add to that 119 years for sustained and disproportionate stress levels on the dam structure. YES, reconstruction is needed....

And yes, your government is feeding you and rest of the says like you propaganda bits.

Its sad to see nazis in TN playing politics during a time of crisis as this.

No propaganda, just tell me is Kerala Govt ready to abide by the 1970 Agreement legally, not just verbally, post-construction ?

If no, there you have your answer TN's reluctance.

The mallus want Tamil people to beg water from their newly bulit dam.Kerala puts people to immigrate near the dam by putting their lives at danger and using them to play the victim card to TN govt.:lol:

Nice......is that what your news outlets tell you?! You poor illiterate loser..

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

No propaganda, just tell me is Kerala Govt ready to abide by the 1970 Agreement legally, not just verbally, post-construction ?

If no, there you have your answer.

Read up on the new developments. They have already agreed. TN govt is still unyielding.

The stumbling block is the Kerala Govt's refusal to give the control of the new dam to TN as is required by the 1970 Agreement.

Those who build it will have the controlling stake. Thats how the world works. If TN wants to control the new dam just put in the money needed to build it. Its ridiculous to even think that Kerala will hand over control of the dam over to TN after we spent crores of our own money.

Stupid things like those only serve as political ammunition for hardliners like Vaiko, Thiruma who will then disrupt the food/vegetable supply to Kerala from Tamil Nadu and also interfere in the electricity transmission.

It will be a loss-loss for both states which should be avoided.

The last time Vaiko & Co stopped the trucks carrying esssentials to Kerala. it was TN traders who suffered the most. The milk became bad and vegetables got rotten at the border. Kerala is a consumer state, if not for TN, we will get our supplies from somewhere else, but where will TN sell their products.

The stopping of trucks by Vaiko really showed how 'considerate' TN is towards Kerala that it will even cut off the food supplies to get the point across. Everybody is after Bal Thackery, but persons like Vaiko is worse than Bal Thackery.

Read up on the new developments. They have already agreed. TN govt is still unyielding.

The Kerala Govt is only 'telling' verbally that they will continue the water supply. Still no agreement on whether they would abide by the 1970 Agreement which cedes the control of the dam to Tamil Nadu.

Can you provide any news link ?

Its the kerala congress govt. using its own ndtv,cnn channels to spread propaganda.Why did the last week earth quake in malluland did not break the dam:woot:

Those who build it will have the controlling stake. Thats how the world works. If TN wants to control the new dam just put in the money needed to build it. Its ridiculous to even think that Kerala will hand over control of the dam over to TN after we spent crores of our own money.

That is what I meant when I said both states should give and take something so that a mutual ground is reached which is win-win to both.

BTW I want to remind you that we are only demanding what is legally obligated to us under the 1970 Agreement. You cant fault us for that.

The last time Vaiko & Co stopped the trucks carrying esssentials to Kerala. it was TN traders who suffered the most. The milk became bad and vegetables got rotten at the border. Kerala is a consumer state, if not for TN, we will get our supplies from somewhere else, but where will TN sell their products.

The stopping of trucks by Vaiko really showed how 'considerate' TN is towards Kerala that it will even cut off the food supplies to get the point across. Everybody is after Bal Thackery, but persons like Vaiko is worse than Bal Thackery.

Not a credible argument. Similarly we can also find another market for our produce or export it.

They key is not giving the ground to hardliners and let sane heads prevail on both sides. Unfortunately with this jingo arguments, you are only providing political ammo for the hardliners.

Yes, we might not be considerate and we are not obligated to be. We want what was legally obligated to us. Not charity.

Its the kerala congress govt. using its own ndtv,cnn channels to spread propaganda.Why did the last week earth quake in malluland did not break the dam:woot:

So you will be happy to see the dam break.You really is an inconsiderate A$$ Hole.

The Kerala Govt is only 'telling' verbally that they will continue the water supply. Still no agreement on whether they would abide by the 1970 Agreement which cedes the control of the dam to Tamil Nadu.

Can you provide any news link ?

Kerala has to reconstruct the dam using its finances/resources and then hand it over to TN?......:P....nice.

There are links, but can you read Malayalam? Read manorama online......i can't post links cause I'm on my phone.

Kerala has to reconstruct the dam using its finances/resources and then hand it over to TN?......:P....nice.

There are links, but can you read Malayalam? Read manorama online......i can't post links cause I'm on my phone.

No. We can share the expenses. But again is Kerala willing to let us control the dam post its construction ?

Again this is what I say about sane heads sitting together and settling the matter on a win-win mode for both people rather than letting the hardliners on both sides to take the issue into their hands.

Any English sources would be appreciated, as obviously the Mallu links will be biased towards your cause just like Dinamalar or Dinathanthi will be biased towards our view.

"Mallu land" ? Okay....did you know that there a million ways i can insult you, your heritage and your state....without giving you any provision to retaliate? Stupid troll.

Ahmnnn , do you seriously think you can justify what you just did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom