What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
AFAIK, after the fall of Dhaka, (rump state of formerly western) Pakistan withdrew all embassy staff. The chanceries at Mumbai (then Bombay) and Delhi were evacuated and full relations were restored in August 1974.

The chanceries were then given to the new embassy staff. This is something interesting that even I did not know until I asked certain relations of mine in the diplomatic corps (now retd.).
A country can't open an embassy in another country till the later recognizes the former's sovereignty. Besides several agreements between Pakistan and India have been conclude since the creation of Bangladesh.

So the argument that current Pakistan somehow is not the same Pakistan mentioned in UN resolutions holds no water.

Point being, all relations with undivided Pakistan were renegotiated on fresh terms. As the victor of the 71 conflict, it was India's prerogative to act as such.
Mattooji, Shimla Agreement was India's renegotiation with (then) new Pakistan on matters relating to Kashmir and other bilateral disputes, thereby nullifying the role of Bangladesh, if at all there was any possibility of such.

Keep crying and keep holding protests, Pakistani populace has a passion for holding protests for any issue anywhere on the globe!

Meanwhile India doesnt give a damn and keeps forging ahead.

it's the indians who keep crying even to their grave

A country can't open an embassy in another country till the later recognizes the former's sovereignty.

I agree with you here. India does indeed recognize Pakistan's sovereignty. Caveat being, as a fresh state after Mar 26, 1971.

Besides several agreements between Pakistan and India have been conclude since the creation of Bangladesh.

I think you are trying to say that this created a precedent of sorts. Am I getting you right?

So the argument that current Pakistan somehow is not the same Pakistan mentioned in UN resolutions holds no water.

Non sequitur - it does not follow.

Mattooji, Shimla Agreement was India's renegotiation with (then) new Pakistan on matters relating to Kashmir and other bilateral disputes, thereby nullifying the role of Bangladesh, if at all there was any possibility of such.

Just proves that earlier resolutions were pointless. Anyway, its splitting hairs on something essentially we are both in agreement on.

The Indian government has named three mediators to begin a dialogue with people in Indian-administered Kashmir.

Journalist Dilip Padgaonkar, bureaucrat MM Ansari and academician Radha Kumar will begin work soon.

The appointments are part of measures aimed at defusing tension. More than 100 Kashmiris have been killed since June in protests against Indian rule.

Separatist groups called the mediating team "a joke" rather than a serious attempt to resolve Kashmir's problems.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed in Kashmir since an armed revolt erupted in 1989.
'Credible'

Last month, Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram said the federal government would appoint a group to begin what he described as a sustained dialogue with Kashmiris, including political parties.

He said the three mediators were "very credible people", and that the government might add another mediator to the group later.

Mr Padgaonkar has been part of a committee on Kashmir in the past, while Mr Ansari is India's information commissioner. Ms Kumar heads an academic institute in Delhi and has been engaged in discussions with Kashmir separatist leaders in the past.

The government has also re-opened all schools and universities which were closed during recent unrest and pulled down some security bunkers as part of a range of measures designed to bring normalcy to the valley.

A prominent separatist leader, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, dismissed the announcements as "meaningless".

Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who heads the moderate faction of the All Party Hurriyat Conference (APHC), was also dismissive.

"We expected a political committee comprising members of the opposition as well as the governing parties. Such a committee would talk with Pakistan as well as with Kashmiri leaders," he said.

"By appointing academicians and journalists to the committee, the Indian government has sought to make light of the Kashmir problem. It is yet another joke played with the people of Kashmir."

BBC News - India names mediators to hold Kashmir dialogue

Mediate what? return of captive children and women?
What about the killed, tortured and raped?

Kashmiri demands are quite clear... take army back out of the cities and accession with Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Kashmiris need to embrace this opportunity and voice some of their demands wrt economic opportunity, development etc....

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush......
If the Kashmiri cause is true to its worth....the Kashmiri leaders should recognize that freedom should not and cannot be brought at the cost of peoples development!

Geelani is an idiot if he thinks he is doing Kashmiris any favors by banning schools and universities.....
The more educated the Kashmiris are....the better for their cause...

I feel if there has to be a solution,then it is very simple.The people pakistan,india and bangaldesh are the same.They have to understand this fundamental fact.We can always go back to history and see where our ancestors came from,a fair skinned guy ll say mine came from scandinavia and the dark skinned one ll say mine came from africa.

we can exist as independent countries and still realise this basic fact.i have met many many pakistanis when i was abroad and i cannot see the difference of any sort between them and the indian people of north india.

but whats the point?there are many other things that matter.

for good and the bad apart from the elite nobility,none of the people have any kind of pure blood.If we take the extremes of the country,we r bound to get extreme samples.

You can take ur own cricket team,look at how imran khan and javed miandad look.I am sure u can see the difference.Many hindus in india ll be more fairer and sharp nosed than javed and many pathans and frontierwale from india have dark skin and blunt noses.

so where are all those invasion and race theories?they fail bigtime.ultimately it is the culture that unites the people.it is the weather,the food,the lifestyle that ultimately makes one man help other to survive.how does it matter how one seeks his inner strength when that inner strength is not of any use to his society.

this partition was very bloody but what pisses me off the most is that it was unnecessary.

Honestly, I did make three separate attempts to understand your rant, but I must admit failure. In my opinion, you are mixing all sorts of biased interpretations of facts, myths and prejudices, and this flight of ideas prevents me from dissecting or discussing it intelligently.

However, I do understand your last line.

I respect your opinion that you consider the partition unnecessary, and will not comment on whether I consider it correct or not, but will point out that conclusion on your part means that your ire should have been directed at Her Majesty's government well over 60 years ago, and that, perhaps, is no concern of mine, or at least will not be a concern, until a time machine is invented! :D

Last edited:
India is trying to Crush Kashmiri movement by force!!!

Using only when it's necessary. :tup:

it's the indians who keep crying even to their grave

One liners are not going to change the reality of things mate..regardless of how much you want them to.

Each year, the gap grows, each year the balance tilts further in India's favour. Regardless of what you want, regardless of any number of protests in Pakistan, regardless of whether you think you are morally right- there will not be an iota of change in ground realities-ie change in the ownership of land.

Infact India's position will only harden as time passes - You seem to be missing this simple fact.

One liners are not going to change the reality of things mate..regardless of how much you want them to.

Each year, the gap grows, each year the balance tilts further in India's favour. Regardless of what you want, regardless of any number of protests in Pakistan, regardless of whether you think you are morally right- there will not be an iota of change in ground realities-ie change in the ownership of land.

Infact India's position will only harden as time passes - You seem to be missing this simple fact.

Yes, India does have to bring the 400 million people living below the poverty line to middle class. Holding all the money in the State Bank will not make India a developed nation. Pakistan has its sets of challenges, but deal with them in the years to come. Regarding the iota of change that is what Congress use to say in the 1900s, but India was split in 3. Keep killing the innocent people in Kashmir and that will set the foundation of the break up of India. Though the hundus did kill my granfather's brother on a Friday afternoon in Dehli in 1938, but that made my entire family even work harder to get Pakistan.

If Indian military believes that killing teenagers in Kashmir will stop the freedom struggle of Kashmiris, only history will repeat itself.

Mediate what? return of captive children and women?
What about the killed, tortured and raped?

Kashmiri demands are quite clear... take army back out of the cities and accession with Pakistan.

Kashmir was an international issue, but Pakistan mishandled it. It is too late now. Kashmirs could have achieved East Timor like solution if Pakistan executed a well planned strategy to isolate India.
Unfortunately there is no one to talk about Kashmir except a once in year resolution by OIC to satisfy Pakistan.

US will be supporting LOC as the border between India and Pakistan. This was the Musharff- Singh formula.

I think the Kashmiris need to embrace this opportunity and voice some of their demands wrt economic opportunity, development etc....

They have been voicing their demand loud and clear for the past 10 years. Are you listening to them? Majority don't want Indian rule.

Back
Top Bottom