What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
well colonel Parhoit killed pakistanis by bombing samjhota express so doesthat make him your indian army invovled in killing of pakistanis??? give us colonel parhoit then! he was directly involved in killing of our people!

do you have proof that kasab and boys were speaking to ISI??? you catch fishermen everyday but these boys got onto a boat rowed into india in 3 days got off and attacked you and you were clueless BUT you KNOW that they spoke to ISI agents!! :rofl:

so solve kashmir automatically the freedom struggle will end! and no more call to arms from kashmiris! ;)

pakistan is not the problem INDIAN self complex is! and as long as that remains indians can never move forward!! time for indians to stop making excuses! :coffee:

I honestly think col purohit should be tried prosecuted and punished accordingly. And he never came to Pakistan. but that is only reactionary to islamic terror sent by pak. there are some hindu groups in india who have had enuf and now want to retaliate against you guys. for how long will the indians have to suffer Pak.
ALSO a very important point is, Col Purohit was uncovered by investigation done by Indian agencies. But Pak terror since it is state sponsored, never comes to light and in spite of all proofs by india.

See you guys still defend Kasab. This is terrible and disheartening. Also muslim terror is a menace the world over from NY, Lon, Glasgow to holland. and all of them come from pak.

What im saying is even if kashmir is solved you guys will still keep pouring terror into india . period. and of course all the terrorists in kashmir are not kashmiris but are punjabis afghan and i dont know what other breed.

Last edited:
Kashmiri are not a phattu kaum, they are ready to give sacrifices for their freedom. That is an awesome trait to have in a nation.

No they are not..they are j ust some puppets in the hand of some masters who tried to annex Kashmir from us in different ways..first tried covert war and it doest yeild them any result so now stone pelting..it will also end after they realise that i wont yeild results like previous attempts..till then dream on :)

blah blah...

Sophian deaths were proved that they caused by drowning.
One of the women was found to be virgin.;)

Even a rank liberal communist journalist like Harider Baweja did a sting op that showed captured separatists talking about the whole conspiracy to blame paramilitary for the incident.

If you have a good memory and an honest mind i hope you will recall when Indian Army soldiers raped the women of an entire Kashmiri village Kunaan Poshpara in Kupwara,.
But your dirty Indian government had not let even Human Rights org to present the report.

But i am sure millions of bhartis must not even heard the name of Kunaan Poshpara area of the Country of Kashmir

Key word=disputed and undisputed area, hopefully you smart enough to understood the difference, soft spot? as i said you know nothing whats going on in China, who are the real victims in the so-called killing uighurs issue.
Any Chinese will be piss by all those lies from the western media while the truth was hundred of hans Chinese were being killed instead.
Now keep us out of this and i will leave your discussion alone.

No the key word is human rights ...question is "are human rights different
for ppl leaving in a disputed territory and ones living in sovereign territory" ..I think not!!

But we also understand sometimes a state must do certain things to presevre the integrity of the state..because no individual/s are bigger than the state itself.

hence we try to explain to our Pakistani friends..that if one has to criticize human right violations ..then such criticism should be equal and across the board for all such violations..not selective for ones that suits their agenda.

No they are not..they are j ust some puppets in the hand of some masters who tried to annex Kashmir from us in different ways..first tried covert war and it doest yeild them any result so now stone pelting..it will also end after they realise that i wont yeild results like previous attempts..till then dream on :)

So in your view Millions of Kashmiris are puppets against those few Indian puppets aka omar abdullah and his hindu connections ???????

:angel: seems Indians have lost the remaining sense as well

Hahahaha when did that happen. How come you have no links for this claim??

You know what Osama bin laden is boy friend to Shah Mehmood Querishi but your dirty govt did not let us investigate but we strongly believe that it is true.

:

Ahh i knew the bhartis did not know even about the areas of Kashmir which is occupied by bhrti terrorist army.

Here is the link and details of actions of your ****** army

The Ugly Side of the Indian Army

Labels: India, Kashmir, Rape

[Monday, January 19, 2009 | 2 comments ]
When we come across rape and molestation cases in newspapers, it so often gets ignored or overlooked because we take it as daily occurrence in our society.

Rarely do we spare few moments to think about the trauma or the despair the victim is going through.

Sometimes people involved in these acts of crime are the ones who are supposed to protect us and not destroy us. I am talking about the Indian Army who have committed such spineless deeds that can leave you disgusted.

Indian army troopers have been raping women and kids in Kashmir for a long time, they have used rape and molestation as a weapon to humiliate the locals during their cordon and search operations. Imagine a woman goes to the police station or military camps to inquire about her loved ones and she runs the risk of getting raped.

This ruthless crime has been happening for over a decade by the Indian Army, and most of these cases go unreported, or even if they are reported, the government puts it under the carpet.

On 26 Jun 2007 Major Joginder Singh and Naik Dalgit Singh of 57 Rashtriya Rifles tried to rape a 17-year old girl in Pati Kunan village in Bandipora District pretending to be 'militants'.

On 5 July 2007, an Indian Army soldier, Sepoy Ranjeet Singh, 24 Rashtriya Rifles tried to rape a 23-year old girl student in Kangan village of Ganderbal District.

When the locals tried to rescue the girl, he at first opened fire at his pursuers, killing one and injuring two, before turning the gun on himself.

Kunaan Poshpara in Kupwara, near the border, is known throughout Kashmir as the 'raped village' after the heinous incident where 30 women were raped in 1991 by soldiers. No marriages have taken place there since then, due to the social stigma even the victims are reluctant to come forward and talk about it. To make things worse, their families also desert them.

The accused have gone scot-free. There are reports that till date only two or three rape cases have been concluded so far. In the remaining cases, the investigations are still in process or terminated. Figures were hard to get because no one is bothered to document the number of cases, but according to one portal nearly 500 women were raped in various parts of Jammu and Kashmir between 1990-94.

According to Kashmir Media Service, 9,849 women have been gang-raped and molested from January 1989 to December 2008.

Its not only Kashmir where women are silent sufferers due to the Indian army's atrocities, but in North-east too women are raped and molested in the name of curbing terrorism. A striking example is of Thangiam Manorama, who was raped and murdered in Manipur by the soldiers of the paramilitary Assam Rifles in 2004.

That led to huge uproar in Manipur with elderly women stripped naked in protest and waved banners that said, 'Indian Army take our flesh', 'Indian Army Rape us'. Sadly, nothing has been done to punish these soldiers.

Its such a shame that people responsible for committing this crime are not only tarnishing the image of the country but also committing such spineless acts in the name of protecting the country.

http://www.fractalenlightenment.com/2009/0...ndian-army.html

'India not listening to people of J&K'

Arati R Jerath & M Saleem Pandit

SRINAGAR: Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, seen as the force behind the current agitation in Kashmir, said on Wednesday that peace would return to the state only after India withdrew its security forces and agreed to a plebiscite.

‘‘If India agrees then we will get Pakistan to withdraw its security forces from Azad Kashmir, Gilgit and Baltistan. The referendum should be for every citizen of united Jammu and Kashmir. This is the basic demand of the people and has been for the last 62 years. We will accept whatever the majority decides,’’ he said in an exclusive interview to TOI, his first after being released from detention.

In an apparent reference to Sonia Gandhi’s recent talk of development as a panacea for the Kashmir problem, Geelani said their struggle was not a demand for flyovers and roads, or for jobs. ‘‘We are fighting for the right to self-determination,’’ he explained. ‘‘India is not paying any heed to what the people of Jammu and Kashmir want.’’

Geelani said that any referendum should be in line with the 1948 United Nations Security Council resolutions calling for the people of J & K to choose between India and Pakistan. He maintained there was no room for a third option of independence unless a tripartite dialogue between India, Pakistan and the ‘‘genuine leadership of the people of J & K agrees to put it on the table for popular vote.

Asked whether the India or Pakistan paradigm was still valid after 62 years, Geelani insisted it was. ‘‘The time space doesn’t matter. After all, you people fought against British rule for 100 years,’’ he said.

According to him, an independent state of J & K would never be accepted by either Pakistan or India or for that matter, even China and Russia, whose geographic proximity makes them players in the region. ‘‘They know that J & K will become a colony of the United States,’’ he said. ‘‘Until all four countries, and Afghanistan, give guarantees to safeguard our boundaries, until we can arrange for our defence, I don’t think independence is a realistic option.’’

Geelani clearly sees himself as an interlocutor between India and Pakistan. While acknowledging that Pakistan at this juncture was caught up in troubles of its own, he said it was not a hindrance. ‘‘Pakistan is committed to implementation of the UN resolutions. They will listen to us who have been fighting for the right to self-determination for 62 years. India is the problem,’’ he said.

He blamed security forces for the current spiral of violence in the state. ‘‘Our people are unarmed. The guns are with the security forces. If the security forces allow people to hold demonstrations, there will be no violence,’’ he said. He dismissed stone-pelting as a form of violence. ‘‘Its a compulsion for our youth. We are not for violence,’’ he emphasized.

He blamed New Delhi for displaying ‘‘arrogance of power and described J & K chief minister Omar Abdullah as a "puppet of Delhi."

As for Masarat Alam, who has recently emerged as a powerful voice with the agitators, Geelani pointed out that Alams party, Muslim League, is a constituent of the Hurriyat Conference (Geelani). ‘‘We are working together in every respect but we are not being allowed to move freely or hold shuras to discuss issues. Alam’s party joined hands with Geelani in 2003 when the original Hurriyat Conference split into two factions, a hardline one led by Geelani and a more moderate faction led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.

"But our objectives are the same," Geelani maintained. "We all want freedom from Indian security forces and we want a referendum. Nothing less will do, no soft borders, no internal autonomy, not even Musharraf’s four-point formula.’’

Latest deaths spark fresh protests in Kashmir

SRINAGAR: Two more protesters died in clashes with security forces in Indian administered Kashmir, police said Thursday, dashing hopes of calm returning to the region roiled by weeks of anti-India protests.

Violent demonstrations erupted despite an appeal for restraint from influential politician Syed Ali Geelani.

“Demonstrations should be peaceful,” Geelani said on Wednesday. “Wherever you are stopped, sit down and tell them 'now you can fire at us', but don't indulge in violence.”

Police officials said security forces late Wednesday opened fire killing two people in Srinagar.

The shootings sparked further protests in Srinagar in defiance of curfew orders.

We you alive during the human rights respect by UK meted out to the IRA?

Nope was not alive when the UK goverement was as you said melting out the IRA. But the key difference is my friend at least we have solved the issue, the same can't be said about your self.

Queen pardoned IRA fugitive - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

IRA fugitives will be free to return home under amnesty scheme | UK news | The Guardian

Mountbatten's IRA killer freed under peace deal - News - The Independent

Do you see we have no problem with the IRA, because we realised that using force would not solve anything, so we used diplomacy. howver at least we did not rape or kill people by making them dissappear, as it is seen in India.

Mountbatten's IRA killer freed under peace deal - News - The Independent

You currently have the problem in your backyard, not the UK goverment......it takes a lot to handle when you find out that your goverement is a killing regime.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mountbattens-ira-killer-freed-under-peace-deal-1170044.html

What does pakistan have in terms of reasons for existance? Nothing except a hatred for India. This whole Kashmir issue was never a question of muslims or self determination, it was a wierd fantasy concocted by your leaders to show that they are capable of wresting it from us and belive therefore that you are a 'great power'. EVery day you people fantasize about being a 'great power', but that requires effort, dedication lasting over generations...none of which your state or, equally importantly SOCIETY seems to be interested in putting in. The state is ultimately a reflection of it's people. Many Pakistni members whose posts I have read are generally filled with jealousy and envy...always waiting to give that 'failure' tag. Where there is no ambition, criticism is the easiest option.

Over the last sixty years your country has been wrecked again and again through political and economic chaos. You people lost half your territory. You still don't know whether you are a democracy or a dictatorship. And still THE ONLY THING that will bring your country together even today is a hatred of India or the Issue of Kashmir....it won't be a collective effort to move forward on Pakistan. You didn't have problems working for decades to promote terrorism in Kashmir but have no such plans to work for decades for your own state. Many Pakistani's will kil themselves to get kashmir but not build their dams.
And you think that despite these appalling credentials you 'deserve' kashmir. Why? So that you can put that territory too in as much of a mess as you are in right now. If there are people out there who think that we are dumb enough to yield symbolic victories to wayword groups of people, sorry, THE WORLD DON"T WORK THAT WAY.

What does pakistan have in terms of reasons for existance? Nothing except a hatred for India. This whole Kashmir issue was never a question of muslims or self determination, it was a wierd fantasy concocted by your leaders to show that they are capable of wresting it from us and belive therefore that you are a 'great power'. EVery day you people fantasize about being a 'great power', but that requires effort, dedication lasting over generations...none of which your state or, equally importantly SOCIETY seems to be interested in putting in. The state is ultimately a reflection of it's people. Many Pakistni members whose posts I have read are generally filled with jealousy and envy...always waiting to give that 'failure' tag. Where there is no ambition, criticism is the easiest option.

Over the last sixty years your country has been wrecked again and again through political and economic chaos. You people lost half your territory. You still don't know whether you are a democracy or a dictatorship. And still THE ONLY THING that will bring your country together even today is a hatred of India or the Issue of Kashmir....it won't be a collective effort to move forward on Pakistan. You didn't have problems working for decades to promote terrorism in Kashmir but have no such plans to work for decades for your own state. Many Pakistani's will kil themselves to get kashmir but not build their dams.
And you think that despite these appalling credentials you 'deserve' kashmir. Why? So that you can put that territory too in as much of a mess as you are in right now. If there are people out there who think that we are dumb enough to yield symbolic victories to wayword groups of people, sorry, THE WORLD DON"T WORK THAT WAY.
You see when you start questing the existance of Pakistan then it's a totally different story - Every Leftist, Righwing, or Centrist will hate you if you do that.I know it's kinda shameful to live in such a large country which is kept hostage by a country 10 times smaller.I would too.

I honestly think col purohit should be tried prosecuted and punished accordingly. And he never came to Pakistan. but that is only reactionary to islamic terror sent by pak. there are some hindu groups in india who have had enuf and now want to retaliate against you guys. for how long will the indians have to suffer Pak.
ALSO a very important point is, Col Purohit was uncovered by investigation done by Indian agencies. But Pak terror since it is state sponsored, never comes to light and in spite of all proofs by india.

See you guys still defend Kasab. This is terrible and disheartening. Also muslim terror is a menace the world over from NY, Lon, Glasgow to holland. and all of them come from pak.

What im saying is even if kashmir is solved you guys will still keep pouring terror into india . period. and of course all the terrorists in kashmir are not kashmiris but are punjabis afghan and i dont know what other breed.
What are you talking about? They're already in jail (the whole gang) and have been r*tting there for years (from samjhauta onwards). ANd they've slapped tough Anti Terror laws against him to prevent bail when the case is on.

You see when you start questing the existance of Pakistan then it's a totally different story - Every Leftist, Righwing, or Centrist will hate you if you do that.I know it's kinda shameful to live in such a large country which is kept hostage by a country 10 times smaller.I would too.

So you agre that you are the aggressor and keeping us hostage and that we are a peace loving country and you are not!

I think your post exemplifies my point. Couldn't have asked for a better example.

Asia Times Online :: Now it's the turn of 'children of the conflict'

BANGALORE- Mass protests in the Kashmir Valley resumed with heightened fury over the weekend. In the past six days, more than 28 people have been killed in clashes between security forces and protesters, taking the death toll over the past eight weeks to 45.

Although the government has imposed a curfew and strict restrictions on movement in Jammu and Kashmir's summer capital, Srinagar, as well as most of the other towns and big villages across the valley, there has been no let-up in the protests. Thousands of men, women and children continue to pour into the streets, refusing to be intimidated by a heavy policepresence and security cordons.

Since 2008, India's northern-most state of Jammu and Kashmir has seen sporadic mass protests. In March, the extrajudicial killing of three men by the army in Kupwara district sparked public rage and unleashed a wave of unrest. The latest violence erupted on June 11, when a 17-year-old student on his way home from school was killed when a teargas shell fired by police ripped open his skull during a protest in Srinagar.

Kashmir is caught in a spiral of violence. Police shooting during demonstrations staged to protest against killings results in more deaths, triggering more protests and more violence. The protesters began with stone-pelting, but the violence has escalated. Last weekend, mobs were attacking not just the police but ambulances and doctors. They set fire to an explosives dump in Srinagar and railway stations in Sopore and Budgam.

A nine-year-old boy was included in Monday's list of fatalities, the youngest to be killed in the recent wave of protests. While police maintain he died in a stampede, locals insist he was beaten to death by the police. India's credibility is so low in the valley that nobody wants to believe Delhi's version of events.

There are striking parallels between the situation today and what happened in 1989-90, in the months before an armed militancy displaced the mass movement: the same defiance of authority, the anti-India sentiment, the pro-Pakistan and pro-azadi (freedom from India and Pakistan) slogans, the sea of protesters on the streets and the participation of women in these demonstrations.

"But the situation today is far more complex," says Ahmed Ali Fayyaz, a Srinagar-based Kashmiri journalist. He says the current lot of youth protesters - the bulk of whom are in the 12-20 year age group - is "more radicalized" than those who participated in the demonstrations two decades ago.

The impact of the Internet and YouTube is fueling anger like never before, Fayyaz says. Back in 1989-90, there was no Kashmiri media. Kashmiris watched Indian government-run television channels, which naturally put out the government view on issues and events. Newspapers published out of New Delhi provided the Indian mainstream perspective.

That has changed with pictures of violence from across the Valley - images of a father shielding his dead son's body and another of a teenager's skull split by a tear gas canister - easily spreading to computers and mobile phones.

Who are these young stone-pelting boys? The media have dubbed them the "children of the conflict". Most were born and brought up during the 1990s - the decade that saw the worst of the militancy in Kashmir. They have grown up amid guns, but for now they have chosen stones to express their anger with the Indian state.

The Indian government's position is that the protests are engineered by the separatists. A few weeks ago, Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram pointed an accusing finger at the Pakistan-based terrorist group, the Lashkar-e-Taiba. On Wednesday, he told parliament that the government "had reliable information that armed militants had mingled with the crowds and fired on the security forces".

Over the past several weeks, the separatist Hurriyat Conference, especially its most hardline and fundamentalist faction - the Hurriyat (Geelani) faction - has been stoking the violence. Led by 84-year-old Islamist patriarch Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Hurriyat (G) has been issuing a "protest calendar" every week for the past two months. These lay out the plans for the next seven days in which protesters will cripple Srinagar, but also when they will stay indoors and give the city's beleaguered residents time to stock up on provisions, or go to school and hospitals.

Since June, Geelani has been under arrest and in hospital. In his absence, his more radical deputy, the 47-year-old Masarat Alam, has been issuing the calendars. Alam and other hardliners have been justifying the stone-throwing. But Alam's hold over the protesters is also eroding, according to senior Kashmiri police.

Early this week, Jammu and Kashmir's chief minister Omar Abdullah said that the protests were "leaderless". The protesters are not listening to anyone, "not to the police or the civil administration, not to the separatists or even the Pakistan-based militants," observed the police officer.

"Kashmir is in a state of anarchy," said Kashmiri journalist Fayyaz.

The stone-pelting protesters may have been instigated by the separatists initially but they are not willing to follow their script anymore. "Last Sunday was an 'off-day' for protests but thousands were out on the streets," the police officer pointed out. The protests have hurtled out of the separatists' control.

Last week, when the Pakistan-based leader of the United Jihad Council and Hizbul Mujahideen chief, Syed Salahuddin, suggested to protesters that they adopt a more flexible approach, go slow on hartals (shutdowns) and allow people to buy food and let children study, effigies of him were burnt in Sopore, an Islamist stronghold and Hizbul Mujahideen bastion. Five masked men told a hurriedly called press conference in downtown Srinagar that Salahuddin's statement was a "betrayal of the nation".

"Who is he to tell us this? Sitting in *** [***************** Kashmir], eating chicken supplied by Pakistani agencies, how can he feel our pain, anger and helplessness?" said Abdul Bhat, a friend of the 17-year-old who was killed by a police teargas shell.

Salahuddin quickly retracted his statement and issued a clarification on July 25. Based in Pakistan-administered Kashmir for over 20 years, he is widely regarded in the valley as a mouthpiece for the country's Inter-Services Intelligence agency. The public snub of Salahuddin seems a message to Pakistan - keep your hands off the people's protest.

In 1989-90, many Kashmiris believed that independence was achievable. They believed Pakistan would help them achieve it. But within a few years, they realized that Islamabad wasn't arming their boys to let Kashmir become free, but to become a part of Pakistan. By the end of the decade, many Kashmiris were blaming Pakistan for their misery.

That growing anti-Pakistan sentiment provided space for India to resolve its conflict with the Kashmiri people. But it mistook the deadly calm in the valley for peace, measuring normalcy by the growing tourist arrivals. "The anti-India sentiment in the valley today is unambiguous," asserts Fayyaz.

Everyone seems to be running for cover from the stones and angry words of the "children of conflict" - including Indian and Kashmiri politicians from the ruling party and the opposition, moderate and hardline separatists, and even the militants. Not a single politician has stepped onto the streets to calm the angry mobs or visit hospitals to enquire about the injured.

On Wednesday, an appeal for a halt to the stone-pelting and the violence came from an unexpected quarter - Geelani. Those indulging in stone-pelting, burning offices, railway stations and vehicles "did not belong to the Kashmir movement" and were only causing harm to it, he said. "These violent acts are not helping our cause but inflicting damage to the movement. Our struggle against India should be peaceful." With the ground beneath his group's feet slipping away, Geelani is now struggling to regain his hold over protests he instigated and rage that he had stoked.

For India its strategy of "buying time", doing nothing to resolve the Kashmir conflict, is exploding in its face. Only this time, it will find it harder to extricate itself from the rubble.

"Dealing with the militancy seems easier," the police officer said, almost wistfully. "The militants were heavily armed. We shot them. How do we respond to these stone-pelting kids?"

Sudha Ramachandran is an independent journalist/researcher based in Bangalore.

Back
Top Bottom