What's new

Karrar MBT l Updates, News & Discussion

There are three companies (one public and two private) started to work on heavy diesel or hybrid engines for marine, locomotives, tanks and power plants since 1991. For example, DESA (a private company) already producing engines for Iranian locomotives built by MAPNA (up to 3500 kw I guess). You have heard about all other under production engines. There is a program undergoing to produce powerful tank engines (1250 hp) and it is supposed to be put under mass production around a year from now.

Thanks, do you have any open source on the Tank engine program?

If you bothered looking at the date of my post you would see that it was written back when only the first few low res pictures of the prototype had been released when it appeared to be just an [cosmetic?] upgrade for irans elderly fleet of late cold war t-72s.Now as for fire power that is still the biggest question as we still dont know anything about the karrars capabilities in this regard,for instance whether the gun and ammo for the karrar have been improved/upgraded as well as this is the older t72s weak point compared to the more modern tanks fielded by the nato/gulfies/usraelis armored forces and the most potent ap ammo iran has [had?] was the mid 80s tungsten apfsds 3bm-42 "mango",which was a good round back in its day and quite comparable to the best nato rounds from the same era but is now pretty marginal at best,and even the newer russian rounds like the du 3bm-46 "svinets" and tungsten 3bm-42 "lekalo" date only from the early 90s so unless iran at a bare minimum has acquired these or better yet developed/acquired some more modern rounds with performance roughly equal to late model western long rods like the tungsten dm53 or dm63 or better yet du rounds like the 829a3 and 829a4 then the karrar is still going to be at rather a disadvantage in any future battles ie a 21st century tank firing mid 80s ammo,not a particularly great scenario.As for the main gun the russians claimed that t-90ms had the performance of its 2a46m-5 gun improved by 10% over the standard t90 has the karrars gun been like wise improved or is it still the same late cold war t72 gun firing late cold war ammo?.You see there is still a hell of a lot that we just dont know about the actual capabilities of the karrar,certainly the production version looks better than the prototype and it appears to be a genuine deep modernisation of the t72 design just like the t90ms is rather than just a cosmetic t90sm look a like which was my biggest fear tho thankfully that appears to be unfounded[thank god].
3bm-42 "mango" apfsds rounds being manufactured in iran
X00844103250.jpg

probably the best site for russian 125mm apfsds data
http://fofanov.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/ARM/apfsds/ammo.html

hey dude, sorry i mistook your quote for a current one. Earlier today, the threats were are all f**ked up, they were getting erased, merged, reappear with messages missing etc... I lost track. It was very informative but as AmirPatriot has pointed out, the gun is "2A46M-5". I don't know how many parts Iran has received for this package from Russia but one thing for sure, Iran is either producing the gun under license or has received them in quantities. I am only hoping that engines have been upgraded as well. But the rest of the subsystems are different from those of T-90SM.

What will you say if you know what kind of engine is inside :D

When i said there are 2 versions & completely new tanks are fucking badass...

It's far more than upgrade !

I wish we could 3D print the damn thing in 1000s :D

hey dude, sorry i mistook your quote for a current one. Earlier today, the threats were are all f**ked up, they were getting erased, merged, reappear with messages missing etc... I lost track. It was very informative but as AmirPatriot has pointed out, the gun is "2A46M-5". I don't know how many parts Iran has received for this package from Russia but one thing for sure, Iran is either producing the gun under license or has received them in quantities. I am only hoping that engines have been upgraded as well. But the rest of the subsystems are different from those of T-90SM.
No worries,its easily done with old threads that havent seen any new posts in months/years

There are three companies (one public and two private) started to work on heavy diesel or hybrid engines for marine, locomotives, tanks and power plants since 1991. For example, DESA (a private company) already producing engines for Iranian locomotives built by MAPNA (up to 3500 kw I guess). You have heard about all other under production engines. There is a program undergoing to produce powerful tank engines (1250 hp) and it is supposed to be put under mass production around a year from now.
Very good!

I guess next step would be 1500+ hp engines!

Let's just hope it wouldn't take a long time!

t90am_gun_assemb.PNG t90am_int1.PNG t90am_int2.PNG t90am_int3.PNG t90am_int4.PNG t90am_int5.PNG t90am_out1.PNG t90am_out2.PNG
2a46m-5 in series production

Capture2B_2017-03-13-09-48-07.png

I don't think this is an evidence of building of the gun in Iran. Its just an assembly into the the turret. I went through this video to find assembly footages, external and internal view of the Russian T-90AM to see if we can get any clues:

T-90AM Gun Assembly, interior and exterior:

Iranian Karrar's interior vs T90AM:
karrar_int1.PNG
karrar_int4.PNG
karrar_int3.PNG

Russian T90AM interior:

t90am_int1.PNG
t90am_int4.PNG

As you can see, the internal parts are different. There are substantial subsystem differences. From RWS to the laser warning system to the electro optical pods and internally, they are completely different. However, whether Iran is manufacturing the guns or not, the two guns seem to be similar.

View attachment 383603 View attachment 383604 View attachment 383605 View attachment 383606 View attachment 383607 View attachment 383608 View attachment 383609 View attachment 383610

I don't think this is an evidence of building of the gun in Iran. Its just an assembly into the the turret. I went through this video to find assembly footages, external and internal view of the Russian T-90AM to see if we can get any clues:

T-90AM Gun Assembly, interior and exterior:

Iranian Karrar's interior vs T90AM:
View attachment 383614 View attachment 383616 View attachment 383615

Russian T90AM interior:

View attachment 383617 View attachment 383618

As you can see, the internal parts are different. There are substantial subsystem differences. From RWS to the laser warning system to the electro optical pods and internally, they are completely different. However, whether Iran is manufacturing the guns or not, the two guns seem to be similar.

American Abrams tank using German gun !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_120_mm_gun

Licence produced gun doesn't make karrar Russian !

Chassis , turret & almost all of the subsystems are Iranian made...

American Abrams tank using German gun !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_120_mm_gun

Licence produced gun doesn't make karrar Russian !

Chassis , turret & almost all of the subsystems are Iranian made...

Indeed. By the way, turbocharging diesel engines can be a good solution to boost performance at lower cost in some cases assuming there is enough space to work with. For example:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/0907dp-turbocharger-basics/

The reason it looks like a T-90 is because just like the T-90 Iran's Karrar Tank is a heavily upgraded T-72!!!!

Iran did license production of the T-72 in the past so building a tank around the T-72 Chassis is both smart & makes perfect sense!
Iran's Zolfaghar tank Chassis was too heavy for the power plant Iran was able to provide which reduced speed and maneuverability so using the T-72 Chassis as a base for a new Iranian MBT that's faster and far more maneuverable was a good move!

Also the fact that it uses the T-72 chassis allowed Iran to quickly start production in a short timespan and on top of that it doesn't increase a heavier load on battlefield maintenance.

upload_2017-3-13_9-41-40.png

upload_2017-3-13_9-42-30.png

upload_2017-3-13_9-44-26.png

Looks good and i love the name :) Congratz to all the Iranian members.
Thanks bro, I don't like the alien/foreign name at all (it's not Iranian), but I like Iranian products and I praise our hardworking engineers. We'll advance in all fields.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom