What's new

Karakorum - 8 (K-8) | Jet Trainer Aircraft.

Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Kamra - Karakoram-8  K-8  Aircraft.png

Maybe K-8 can solve the problem of our need for a dedicated CAS platform. I wonder how much load will it be able to carry though....

Maybe K-8 can solve the problem of our need for a dedicated CAS platform. I wonder how much load will it be able to carry though....

Not likely.

1. CAS should have 2 engines not 1. In case one is damaged, the aircraft would have to be ditched. Blasting drug trafickers is one thing, confronting a trained and equipped enemy is another.

2. The plane would need to be armoured. That would add weight and there would be a need to redesign structure.

3. Hence load that could be carried would be severely impacted.

It would be better to design a CAS plane rather than convert a basic jet trainer into a two engined viable CAS platform. I doubt if that could be a priority. Dedicated CAS platforms require local aerial supermacy. USA and USSR could do it. But it is not a viable option for us.

Few K-8s should be upgraded with modern systems like RWR, MAWS, capability to carry weapons UMTAS/OMTAS, Cirit, it will give them Good CAS capability and they may be able to reduce work load on PAF's main fleet in COIN and will be good support for PAA's helos.

Instead of unguided rockets Cirit will be much more deadly as it is guided and have much more range.

Few K-8s should be upgraded with modern systems like RWR, MAWS, capability to carry weapons UMTAS/OMTAS, Cirit, it will give them Good CAS capability and they may be able to reduce work load on PAF's main fleet in COIN and will be good support for PAA's helos.

Instead of unguided rockets Cirit will be much more deadly as it is guided and have much more range.

I think our CAS requirement has more to do with India rather than the COIN operations simply because of the territory factor. The territory is not suitable for CAS....we need more UCAVs and gunships over there.

Why not any other Muslim country have joined in the project even off now by producing a Block-II with composite, DSI, Internal 21/25m.m gun and IFRP.

Is JF 17's refuelling probe retractable ?
Because I was lead to believe it wasn't, on another forum.

I am saying the if Muslim countries can join in the K-8 program for Block-II development not saying about JF-17s. Also its not not retractable for JF-17s.

Oh my bad.
Why would someone want mid-flight refuelling on a trainer ?

unguided rockets are not much help against well dug in militant infrastructure. need PGM's to destroy those.

I think our CAS requirement has more to do with India rather than the COIN operations simply because of the territory factor. The territory is not suitable for CAS....we need more UCAVs and gunships over there.

With weapons like Cirit, UMTAS/OMTAS and proper protection EW / chaff / flare systems it will be able to hit IA from good distance and 2 seats will allow swift and quick operations as all above mentioned are fire n forget so they don't have to stay on station for long, also ground troops, UAVs and other systems can be used to illuminate the targets before arrival of K-8s in battle area, this will allow them to quickly unleash their weapons and leave, avoiding SAM & IAF.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom