What's new

Karachi Under Fire, 14 killed

Death toll rises to 15 in Karachi violenceAgencies Yesterday

Death toll rises to 15 in Karachi violence

KARACHI: A fresh wave of violence blamed on political and ethnic tensions has killed at least 15 people in Karachi, DawnNews reported, adding that incidents of firing continued in the city on Tuesday.

Two people were wounded in an incident of firing in the city’s Liaquat National Hospital.

However, AFP quoted officials as saying that at least 12 people were killed in the city overnight.

“At least 12 people were killed in targeted killings, which started Monday evening and lasted late in the night,” Sindh’s home ministry spokesman Sharfuddin Memon told AFP.

Memon said police and paramilitary troops were stepping up patrols in the troubled western and central neighbourhoods to avert further violence.

Among the dead was an MQM activist in Aligarh Bazaar area and local lawyer Zia Alam, a member of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP).

In 2010, political violence in Karachi was the deadliest for years, dominated by flare ups in August after an MQM lawmaker was shot dead and in October on the eve of the election for his successor.

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan says 748 people — 447 political activists and the rest innocent citizens — were killed in targeted shootings last year. Targeted killings in 2009 claimed 272 lives.

Karachi is also plagued by ethnic and sectarian killings, crime and kidnappings.

Oh come on, not again!

It is time to take charge and not allow anything and everything horrid happening daily as routine.

I don't want to sound heartless but here are the facts,

Rebels kill People----> No Biggie, its just sectarian violence
Terrorists Kill People-----> Justified, they are just retaliating against Americans
Military Kills Rebels-----> Spiteful, merciless, disgusting
Military Kills Terrorists-----> Disgraceful, sold for US dollars

Wake up Pakistanis, learn to differentiate between your enemies and your friends.

Notice they just call it targeted killings instead of murders? Sounds almost political acceptable...I wasn't here when Salman Taseer was killed but what was the response on these threads? Approval? Disgust? I'll go search around for the threads to see the posters' views. Gives me an insight into their agendas and views.

I'll tell you upfront, there were people who deemed it perfectly right and tagged everyone who opposed them as "Pacifist" and "Kafir". Why i don't see Imran Khan announcing a "Dharna" to stop these killings? Why aren't the Mullah Brigade not condemning them? Where are the humanitarian activists who were jumping up and down when an "Innocent" was gunned down by Rangers, why is the Chief Justice not taking Soho motto now? Why is Altaf Hussain quiet?
Can anyone enlighten me as to who has power and responsibility to stop these killings?

Notice they just call it targeted killings instead of murders? Sounds almost political acceptable...I wasn't here when Salman Taseer was killed but what was the response on these threads? Approval? Disgust? I'll go search around for the threads to see the posters' views. Gives me an insight into their agendas and views.

let me ease it for you every one was disgusted and most condemned it , primary issue us there is confusion as who is starting this , its a big city of 20 million people ...! one thing for sure political parties are on the defence they have no choice but to defend themselves

OK REHMAN MALIK IS GOING TO GO THERE AND GOING TO REPEAT SAME CRAP LIKE EVERYTIME " WE HAVE BROKEN THE TERRORISTS BACK",

AND "THEY WILL BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE"

AND NO ACTION WILL BE TAKEN AGAINST THOSE CRIMINALS

SOMEONE PUNCH THAT MONKEY FOR ME

Ever since this dumb government has come in power and Mustafa Kamal left, Karachi has become a war zone

Until MQM and ANP are disarmed peace will not come. Though MQM is the one that started the armed conflict and forced the Army and Rangers to come.

Back
Top Bottom