What's new

K-15 test likely today

Major.

Reaction score
http://newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/article1394879.ece

K-15 test likely today

After three successful trials of beyond visual range air-to-air ‘Astra’ missile, the DRDO is likely to conduct the much-awaited crucial test of its submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM), code-named K-15, from an underwater platform off the Andhra Pradesh coast on Wednesday.

The test, which was earlier scheduled in November, was postponed due to inclement weather. Though the DRDO was planning two tests of the missile - one from a pontoon (replica of a submarine) and another from a live submarine, a defence official said they would go for the pontoon test this time and a submarine test early next year.

“Preparation for the test has been completed. If everything goes as per planned, the missile will be test-fired as per the schedule. It will be launched in full operational configuration subject to favourable weather,” he said.

The test seems crucial and significant for India’s strategic point of view as despite a series of attempts the missile could not be tested last year due to technical glitches in the missile system, though a trial in March this year was claimed as successful.

The DRDO is eyeing for its success as few countries have the triad of firing nuclear-tipped missiles from air, land and undersea. Only Russia, the US, France, the UK and China have that.

The K-15 missile is about 10 metres in length and about a metre in diameter. After its induction, the missile will equip the country’s first nuclear-powered submarine ANS Arihant.

The K-15 missile is, in fact, an advanced clone of Prithvi’s naval version and designed to be exclusively launched from a submarine. The missile can be compared to the US’ Tomahawk.

What's with so many tests? I don't remember seeing so many tests being conducted in such short period of time. I wonder whats actually cooking.

original

Seems like all the hard work we did in last 30 yrs is now pouring like cats and dogs :lol:. This is like 5th missile test in last 7 days and like 7th in this month. Drdo going crazy to prove that they are no underdogs they are serious players. Hats off to Mr. Saraswat for making DRDO a functional organisation.

The K-15 missile is, in fact, an advanced clone of Prithvi’s naval version and designed to be exclusively launched from a submarine. The missile can be compared to the US’ Tomahawk.

K-15 is derived from Shaurya, not Prithvi. I think he mixed up K-15 and Dhanush.

The missile that would compare with Sub-launched Tom is the Nirbhay SLCM. K-15 is a hybrid ballistic missile with terminal speeds of Mach 7+.

Stupid & crazy journos at it again. They must be trained by Ajai Shukla.

What's with so many tests? I don't remember seeing so many tests being conducted in such short period of time. I wonder whats actually cooking.

Nothing is "cooking" what is happening right now is years of serious R&D in various different projects is paying off at around the same time. Now that the DRDO is being given the funds it had been starved of in the past we should not find it unusual for such tests and developments to become routinely regular.

Nothing is "cooking" what is happening right now is years of serious R&D in various different projects is paying off at around the same time. Now that the DRDO is being given the funds it had been starved of in the past we should not find it unusual for such tests and developments to become routinely regular.

Very true, In the last decade India took these projects seriously.

These are the tests I remember of the recently
K-15
Astra
Prithvi-II
Aakash

Be it by the user trials or development trails. So many tests is indeed surprising to me. Well atleast my tax money well spent!

These are the tests I remember of the recently
K-15
Astra
Prithvi-II
Aakash

Be it by the user trials or development trails. So many tests is indeed surprising to me. Well atleast my tax money well spent!

You missed the anti-ballistic missile test .

Back
Top Bottom