What's new

Jinnah's only lost case- Defending the "killer" of a Blasphemer, Ghazi Ilm Deen (R.H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Rajpal guy had it coming.

Stupidity can be fatal sometimes.

Secular goons have been very active to write lies about this one, If you live in Lahore, I can actually take you to the family of Ghazi Ilm Deen and lets see what they say?

So factually correct statement like stating that Jinnah was not a trial lawyer of Ilam Din is false. Stating that it was ' extreme provocation' that riled up Ilam Din is false.

Give me a source of that original article too because it's far too emotional to be taken seriously.

Allama Iqbal was wrong when he called Ghazi Ilm deen a 'Warrior" ?

Iqbal used to write one thing in the morning and something completely opposite at night. My family knew his son Aftab Iqbal and his family who were estranged from Iqbal.

The truth is that Iqbal had a very wayward past and you might wanna read into his life properly.

C'mon man! give it a break, you won't stop replying me and I won't stop arguing that Pakistan was made for Islam and we are obliged by ALLAH to fulfill our promises by implementing Islamic system.

How can I let you get away with spreading false information. As for the Islamic system, why not implement in your personal life first and if the people want to implement it in Pakistan, they can sure do so.

But it won't be done through spreading false information and glorifying individuals like Ilam Din.

Now if you consider Allama Iqbal to be nothing, then surely you'll reject my argument, lets see what you have to say about Allama Iqbal.

I have made my opinion clear on Allama Iqbal, search opinions on him on youtube and you might wanna listen to a youtube video with your favorite Dr Israr Ahmed, Iqbals son and Dr Mehdi.

Iqbal did not create Pakistan, Jinnah did.

I see it that Jinnah fought his case but advised him differently than how he pleaded. It is obvious that Jinnah knew he couldn't win by saying what he wanted to say.

He was a 19 year old kid, can't be taken as symbolic of anything.

Also I believe these lines are what Iqbal really said, which were translated in this article a little incorrectly.

"This uneducated young man has surpassed us, the educated ones."
"Assi parhay likhay vekhday raye, tarkhaan da munda baazi le gaya"

Too much can't be read into these things, other than the fact that it all happened at a time of great Hindu-Muslim strife. A Hindu was an enemy of that day.

I'm sure all these events helped shaped up the mind frame of Jinnah due to which he ended up declaring at the most official level that he could "Religion has nothing to do with the business of the state". It can't get clearer than that.

Give me a source of that original article too because it's far too emotional to be taken seriously.

Go search the wikipedia entry, you'll find something VERY VERY similar.

Iqbal used to write one thing in the morning and completely opposite thing at night. My family knew his son Aftab Iqbal and his family who were estranged from Iqbal.

RUBBISH! What else I can say!

The truth is that Iqbal had a very wayward past and you might wanna read into his life properly.

I have read Iqbal more than you can even imagine, this is the reason I am arguing with you today..

As for the Islamic system, why not implement in your personal life first and if the people want to implement it in Pakistan, they can sure do so.

Agreed, trying to do that BUT at the same time trying to educate the fellow Pakistanis that Islam is the ONLY way, my way is not the Mullah way.

But it won't be done through spreading false information and glorifying individuals like Ilam Din.

OH, Get a LIFE! Ghazi Ilm Deen Shaheed is still a symbol of glory for Muslims across Pakistan.

I have made my opinion clear on Allama Iqbal, search opinions on him on youtube and you might wanna listen to a youtube video with your favorite Dr Israr Ahmed, Iqbals son and Dr Mehdi.

Saw that, and in the same video, Dr. Mehdi's lie was exposed, there's no evidence of that, even Sir Javed Iqbal rejected it.

Iqbal did not create Pakistan, Jinnah did.

Jinnah alone did not create Pakistan, keep this in your mind.

Iqbal was the driving force which brought Quaid back from London to India after he had left with disappointment.

Lets see what Quaid said about Iqbal :

Reported Speech at a public meeting to mourn the death of Allama Iqbal, Calcutta, April 21, 1938
The Star of India, April 22, 1938

Mr. M. A. Jinnah said that the sorrowful news of the death of Dr. Sir Muhammad Iqbal had plunged the world of Islam in gloom mourning. Sir Iqbal was undoubtedly one of the greatest poets, philosophers and seers of humanity of all times. He took a prominent part in the politics of the country and in the intellectual and cultural reconstruction of the Islamic world. His contribution to the literature and thought of the world will live for ever.

“To me he was a personal friend, philosopher and guide and as such the main source of my inspiration and spiritual support. While he was ailing in his bed it was he who as the President of the Punjab Provincial Muslim League, stood single-handed as a rock in the darkest days in the Punjab by the side of the League banner, undaunted by the opposition of the whole world. When on account of his serious illness he was confined to bed, he resigned the post of the Presidentship of the Punjab League but was instead elected its Patron. He still continued to guide the work of the Punjab League from his bed and had somebody to reply to all letters concerning the League. It would have been a matter of great satisfaction for him to hear the news with great delight that the Bengal and Punjab Muslims were absolutely united on the sommon platform of the All-India Muslim League. In that achievement the unseen contribution of Dr. Sir Muhammad Iqbal was the greatest. No greater blow has struck the Muslims at this juncture.”

Comment made after the passage of Lahore Resolution, March 23, 1940
Jinnah, Creator of Pakistan by Hector Bolitho (London, 1954), p.129

Sometime after this meeting, Jinnah turned to Matlub Saiyid, who had been present at the Lahore session, and said:

Iqbal is no more amongst us, but had he been alive he would have been happy to know that we did exactly what he wanted us to do.

Reported presidential speech in Iqbal Day meeting, Lahore, March 25, 1940
The Civil & Military Gazette, March 26, 1940

If I live to see ideal of a Muslim State being achieved in India and I were then offered to make a choice between the works of Iqbal and the rulership of the Muslim state, I would prefer the former.

This view was expressed by Mr. M. A. Jinnah presiding over the second session of the “Iqbal Day” held in the University Hall, Lahore.

Continuing, Mr. Jinnah said that in April 1936, he thought of transforming the Muslim League, which was then only an academical institution, into a parliament of the Muslims of India. From that time to the end of his life, he continued, Iqbal stood like a rock by him.

Iqbal, Mr. Jinnah said, was not only a great poet who had a permanent place in the history of the world’s best literature, he was a dynamic personality who, during his life time, made the greatest contribution towards rousing and developing of Muslim national consciousness. He compared Iqbal with great literary figures of England like Milton and Shelley.

next time, before saying any rubbish about Iqbal, review your statement atleast 100 times, I won't tolerate this thing anymore. I would like to hear this from the Administration that what are the rules if someone speak sh*t about one of the founder of Pakistan.

"This uneducated young man has surpassed us, the educated ones."
"Assi parhay likhay vekhday raye, tarkhaan da munda baazi le gaya"

Sir, the meaning is somehow same. The poetry is not directly translated in the exact words.

Before making a Mullah out of Iqbal or making him into an ultra secularist, people should remember that Iqbal's views on God and religion were ever-evolving.

He reached this state where he could place Allah (swt) and his rasool (saw) at such high esteem that he could not but emote such a deliverance - is only after he journeyed through various conceptualizations of God.

Also it should be noted, where he did offer an apparent admiration - it was more of an understanding of where the youngster came from and less of an encouragement to stand up and start stabbing people.

His journey taught him well, and do not kid yourself into thinking that you can start off right from where his ended - you have to start at the beginning as well.

Iqbal’s concept of God passes through three periods of intellectual development. As Professor M. M. Sharif has pointed out, it is almost impossible to draw a clear demarcation between these periods; however, there are certain distinguishing features which help us understand the development of Iqbal’s idea of God.2 The three periods thus defined are: (1) 1901-1908, (2) 1908-1920, and (3) 1920-1938 (Iqbal died on April 21, 1938). In the first period, Iqbal’s idea of God is fundamentally Platonic. God is conceived as Eternal Beauty, the universal Idos (Idea or Ideal) of Beauty. This universal is in turn manifested into particulars in various forms, some of which have been revealed and some are yet to be revealed. So, for example, the sun, the moon, the stars are all expressions of this Eternal Beauty which is the source and the essence of these multifarious expressions. These expressions are like a drop in the ocean, a candle in front of the sun, transient and perishable. Just like a candle ceases to burn in the presence of the sun, life of this world of matter ceases to exist in the presence of Eternal Life. The world of matter, which is not co-eternal, is therefore transitory; in fact, the whole of existence becomes transitory. The reply of the famous saint Bayazid Bistami is very suggestive of this attitude:

The question of creation once arose among the disciples of the well-known saint Ba Yazid of Bistam. One of the disciples very pointedly put the common-sense view saying: ‘There was a moment of time when God existed and nothing else existed beside Him.’ The saint’s reply was equally pointed: ‘It is just the same now, as it was then.’3

Iqbal’s Platonic stance, though philosophically unoriginal, finds beautiful genuine expression in various early poems of Bang-e-Dara (The Call of the Caravan) reminiscent of Wordsworth and Tennyson.

In the second period (1908-1920), while maintaining its poetic beauty, Iqbal’s concept of God grows philosophically owing partly to the influence of a few Western thinkers, and provides the foundations for khudi - his philosophy of the ‘self’. From 1905-1908 Iqbal comes under the tutelage of the famous neo-Hegelian John McTaggart and James Ward at Cambridge University, during which time, he also studies Jalaluddin Rumi for his thesis at Munich University.4 Under McTaggart, Ward and Rumi initially Iqbal is a thorough-going pantheistic mystic, a claim supported by Iqbal himself. In a letter of 1920 to Iqbal, which McTaggart appears to have written after he had read R. A. Nicholson’s English translation of Iqbal’s Asrar-e-Khudi (The Secrets of the Self), McTaggart remarks:

Have you not changed your position very much? Surely, in the days when we used to talk philosophy together, you were much more of a pantheist and a mystic.5

The fact that Iqbal himself has quoted this letter in his essay on McTaggart’s philosophy lends support to his pantheistic mystic position. However, around 1908, Iqbal’s position begins to change as the idea of personal immortality of McTaggart, the theistic pluralism of Ward and the metaphysical orientation of Rumi impress deeply upon Iqbal turning him into a theistic pluralist himself.6 This impression prepares him for Nietzsche and his will-to-power, Bergson and his elan vital, and Macdougall’s social psychology. With Rumi as his spiritual guide, the groundwork for Iqbal’s deep study of the secrets of the self (initially in the later poems of Bang-e-Dara and then in his magnum opus Asrar-e-Khudi) and later of the mysteries of selflessness (in Rumuz-e-Bekhudi) is laid. The seed of khudi is sown and a most inspiring and comprehensive philosophy of the ‘self’ is born!7 As Professor Sharif points out:

It is in light of this philosophy that one must understand Iqbal’s ever-increasing emphasis on the efficiency and eternity of will and his ever-decreasing belief in the eternity of beauty - a change in his attitude which takes him far away from Platonism and pantheistic mysticism.8

Iqbal’s new philosophy of khudi , ‘self’ or ‘egohood’, is ultimately the foundation of his concept of God. Iqbal argues that khudi is the root of all existence, that the human ego has a central place in the universe while it is at the same time linked with the Ultimate Ego (i.e., God). According to Iqbal:

Throughout the entire gamut of being runs the gradually rising note of egohood until it reaches perfection in man. That is why the Qur’an declares the Ultimate Ego [i.e., God] to be nearer to man than his own neck-vein.9

Khudi posits a belief in evolution, freedom and possibilities of the self, in the will to power, in the value of super-egos, and in destruction of the old for the creation of the new. Life, in other words, is a forward assimilative movement and this movement, the gradually rising note of egohood passing through various stages to get closer to Reality, is the essence of Reality. This Reality is God - the Ultimate Reality, the Absolute Self, the Supreme Ego. God is no longer Eternal Beauty but rather Eternal Will with an infinite sense of creativity, a sense of which man is a central component. Instead of Platonic emphasis on God’s beauty, the emphasis is now laid on God’s unity and the principle of Tawheed, which gives unity of purpose and strength to individuals, nations and mankind as a whole. The principle of Divine Unity becomes a formative factor for the unity of mankind. Therefore, the approach to God and the progress of the individual human being becomes dependent on his/her relationship to the self, to the family, to the society and ultimately to God. God is to be sought not by begging but on the strength of will. Once found, one is not to annihilate oneself in God but rather to absorb God within oneself; that is, "create in yourselves the attributes of God" as much as one possibly can - a possibility to which there are no limits. If the human ego is able to do this successfully, it will then become worthy of the vicegerency of God - that is, khudi will have reached perfection in man. In the words of the Qur’an:

The one who causes this [self] to grow in purity has indeed attained success and the one who is negligent of this [self] has indeed utterly failed. (Al-Shams, 91:9-10)

Iqbal’s concept of God reaches its climax in the third period of intellectual development (1920 till his death), in which he consolidates all the elements of his synthesis and elaborates them into a comprehensive system - a system in which the concept of God, the Ultimate Ego, occupies the supreme position. Iqbal’s final views on God are, in the main, Qur’anic. He passes beyond the rationalistic commentaries and the mystical speculations to the original Qur’anic teachings and describes God first and last as an Ego: His name Allah (swt), as He calls Himself in the Qur’an, manifests his personal character, and the 112th Surah (or Chapter) of the Qur’an is a proof of God being an Ego, albeit the Ultimate Ego:

In order to emphasize the individuality of the Ultimate Ego the Qur’an gives Him the proper name of Allah (swt), and further defines Him as follows: ‘Say: Allah (swt) is One; All things depend on Him; He begetteth not, and He is not begotten; And there is none like unto Him.’ 10
IQBAL AND GOD: Theism and the Birth of God in Iqbal's Philosophy

Before making a Mullah out of Iqbal or making him into an ultra secularist, people should remember that Iqbal's views on God and religion were ever-evolving.

He reached this state where he could place Allah (swt) and his rasool (saw) at such high esteem that he could not but emote such a deliverance - is only after he journeyed through various conceptualizations of God.

Also it should be noted, where he did offer an apparent admiration - it was more of an understanding of where the youngster came from and less of an encouragement to stand up and start stabbing people.

His journey taught him well, and do not kid yourself into thinking that you can start off right from where his ended - you have to start at the beginning as well.

IQBAL AND GOD: Theism and the Birth of God in Iqbal's Philosophy

Agreed Sir, we have to start reading Iqbal from start BUT the thing is, Iqbal ended in a state where he was a staunch supporter of Muslim brotherhood, Islamic revival etc.

We all know Jinnah and Iqbal were pan nationalists at start.

Agreed Sir, we have to start reading Iqbal from start BUT the thing is, Iqbal ended in a state where he was a staunch supporter of Muslim brotherhood, Islamic revival etc.

We all know Jinnah and Iqbal were pan nationalists at start.
This part that you're saying and qualifying his state, is practically not possible. Iqbal's philosophical point of views are unquantifiable and cannot be fitted into a box.

He is the same guy who admired Nietzsche. He reached a point where he recognized Allah as the be-all-end-all of everything and hence that one liner is nothing but an emotion - somebody insults the prophet in the same way and even we will view our best of friends with disgust. Point to note is, even though Iqbal harbored such raw emotion over the issue - he was still the one that "vekhda raha".

he was still the one that "vekhda raha".

I strongly disagree! i said what I had to. Reality cannot be changed by our discussion.

Also Iqbal was a human - you have to understand a poet's words just don't come from anywhere they are shaped by their life's experiences. Iqbal had a terrible personal life, loved one woman, was forced into marrying another, tricked into divorce, remarrying after figuring out the divorce was invalid.

To top it all of the Pakistan movement, the injustices of the congress, the breakup of the Islamic empire, the struggle of bringing Jinnah back into political life, the feeling that there was a sustained movement in India against the Muslims.

Go search the wikipedia entry, you'll find something VERY VERY similar.

That entry was dubious and has been marked ad such, the entry will be corrected and references asked where required. Emotional articles from some person are not to be taken as the final truth.

RUBBISH! What else I can say!

His writings were contradictory and changed very often, that is known to many people who have read the length and breathe of his work.

I have read Iqbal more than you can even imagine, this is the reason I am arguing with you today..

Good for you, but try and read into his life as much as possible from neutral source. Do the same with the history of Pakistan because one sided views are more harmful than lies.

Agreed, trying to do that BUT at the same time trying to educate the fellow Pakistanis that Islam is the ONLY way, my way is not the Mullah way.

That remains to be seen.

OH, Get a LIFE! Ghazi Ilm Deen Shaheed is still a symbol of glory for Muslims across Pakistan.

The common man does not even know Ilm Deen and you have proclaimed him to be a symbol of glory.

Saw that, and in the same video, Dr. Mehdi's lie was exposed, there's no evidence of that, even Sir Javed Iqbal rejected it.

Well Javed Iqbal remained quite after Dr Mehdi spoke up, if his father, brother, nephew and first son were one then he was too.

Iqbal was the driving force which brought Quaid back from London to India after he had left with disappointment.

Please correct your history, it was Mr Ibrahim Dard of London who persuaded Jinnah to return to India for Pakistan.

Jinnah stated about Mr Dard, 'His persuasion was so eloquent, that I could not say no'.

Lets see what Quaid said about Iqbal :

What he said remains correct but that fact is that Jinnah was central individual and Iqbal was like many others who can be termed founding fathers of Pakistan.

This glorification of Iqbal was an establishment agenda to promote Islam by selectively using his work. Do remember that many religious scholars were very much against Allama Iqbal once but now he is revered as a 'Maulana'.

next time, before saying any rubbish about Iqbal, review your statement atleast 100 times, I won't tolerate this thing anymore. I would like to hear this from the Administration that what are the rules if someone speak sh*t about one of the founder of Pakistan.

What have I said wrong, Iqbals writing was contradictory, that his past was wayward.

Iqbal was and remains a complicated figure, his background has been suppressed and some of his works too.

Also, mind your language, stating the truth is not rubbish.

Secularism supercedes all other concerns.

I mean if you're asking for Blasphemy laws - that is you're saying "Don't say anything against my religion or I will kill you" - you're essentially saying there is no way somebody can argue against my religion to persuade people to leave that religion. Sounds good? But wrong.

Think about it, why are you a Muslim? Just because your parents were Muslim? Do you REALLY believe in Islam, now that your parents can't force you to be a Muslim, will you leave it?

If you have a strong faith, you won't have an issue with being Muslim and will continue to be one.

Now if you have laws that nobody can speak ill of your religion, then that means you're Muslim by default - not Muslim by choice. There is no competition, there is no alternative, there is no freewill - a guarantee, a privilege that even God did not take away from his finest creation.

So tell me till these laws exist, are you really a Muslim or are you just somebody too afraid to be anything else? How would you know? Religion has numerous examples of trial by fire - why are you so afraid of it then?

I think if we start generating medical terms for their mental states and send them to rehabilitation (like mostly happens in west), instead of pronouncing their last names as Muslims, the problem will be solved.

The west's approach is not perfect.. but it does take into account the human condition..
Just when do last names decide a Muslim.. or you..or me?
I thought that was upto god.. or have we decided to take up god's task??

Somehow.. the whole idea of "mullah" ideology seems to revolve around suggestions that Islam itself is insecure as a religion..therefore any attempts to critique it are to be met with swift dismissal rather than arguing it..or suppressing it.
If tomorrow a person converts from Islam to Christianity.. has one wondered if the underlying faith even existed?..
If he converted to Islam..and then converted back..was he converted forcefully?..or by choice.. if forcefully then that person never truly accepted Islam in the first place.. if by choice..the person is a deceiver.. and then ..as a Munafiq.. Muslims are free to do as they please.. (but who decides what circumstances happened?..emotionally charged young men??)
Is it his choice to be born a Muslim..no.. he was born a Muslim.. did not accept it.. then let him be.. . his parents could not make him a Muslim..who are you to decide his fate??.

Mob mentality is wrong... it is unjust..when it comes to such cases..
and there is nothing worse than the mob of Mullah's ruling today.
Iqbal's admiration for Ilm Din's act was more symbolic than anything else.. the fact that a repeated blasphemer was silenced.. something all the Muslim members of the legislative branch could not achieve with their british masters.. was admirable..
Jinnah.. condemned the way he carried it out..

Somehow.. all the love Pakistani Muslim's hold for the prophet..they only wish to express it by violence..
Violence is the last resort..
Ilm Din's limited understanding..and blind emotion.. gave violence the only resort he could know.. so he carried out what he understood best.
Would Ilm din have done the same.. if say he was a member of the Muslim League serving in office??

Ayaan Ali Hirsi or Rushdie have been spouting even worse than Rajpal..
They are protected.. allowed to converse..and give lectures..
Yet us Pakistani's are less focused on that woman..and more focused
on dead Ilm din..and the example he set that should be used for the cornered Christan woman..and the fellow who made the sin of all sins..to trash a card with the name Muhammad on it..

What wonderful examples of "love for the Prophet"...brave men..

That entry was dubious and has been marked ad such, the entry will be corrected and references asked where required. Emotional articles from some person are not to be taken as the final truth.

If you get the "final" truth about it, do let me know and if I get to find a proper proof about it, I'll let you know.

His writings were contradictory and changed very often, that is known to many people who have read the length and breathe of his work.

Quaid also changed from time to time, we should see where they ended up, what were their last thoughts.

Good for you, but try and read into his life as much as possible from neutral source. Do the same with the history of Pakistan because one sided views are more harmful than lies.

I haven't read JUST the one sided views, a year back i also had same views as you.

The common man does not even know Ilm Deen and you have proclaimed him to be a symbol of glory.

visit Lahore.

Well Javed Iqbal remained quite after Dr Mehdi spoke up, if his father, brother, nephew and first son were one then he was too.

Sir, I don't want to bring that video here, go watch it again. Javed Iqbal rejected it. And before accusing Iqbal for that, just remember the Hadith of Rasool ALLAH [S.A.W] which states that if any Muslim calls a other a Kafir, surely one of them is.

Please correct your history, it was Mr Ibrahim Dard of London who persuaded Jinnah to return to India for Pakistan.

You'll like this, read it carefully..

Excerpts from the Book "Secular Jinnah and Pakistan"

In 1936, Jinnah had not completely given up on Indian nationalism, but he was beginning to show signs of change. He had met with Iqbal a number of times in England and they had long been colleagues. But 1936-8 was a period in which Iqbal became Jinnah’s self-attested ‘spiritual support’. 107 We know little of the ideas
exchanged between them during this crucial period, except for what exists in Iqbal’s letters to Jinnah, and Jinnah’s own comments on them. Tragically, Jinnah’s replies are missing, but he did later write that Iqbal had ‘played a very conspicuous part’ behind the scenes in uniting Muslims in minority and majority provinces. 108 As he
also confessed, Iqbal’s views (which were at any rate ‘substantially in consonance’ with his own) had ‘finally’ led Jinnah to the ‘same conclusions’ as Iqbal regarding the ‘constitutional problems facing India’; and they were later given ‘expression’ in the ‘united will of Muslim India as adumbrated in the Lahore resolution’ (the League’s most famous resolution which demanded Muslim independence).109
At any rate Jinnah’s political decisions, his speeches and statements provide ample evidence of the gradual but definite ‘ideological’ shift from ‘secular-Muslim’ to simply ‘Muslim’, in the Quranic sense of the term. By 1938, this shift would be complete; but it was not a religious’ change. Jinnah had no theological discussions with anyone, at least not on record. The letters of Iqbal, influential though they were, contain statements not on Islam as a ‘religion’, but on ‘Islam as a moral and political force’. 110 In the end, Jinnah’s ‘conversion’ would actually come as a result of his political experiences in this period.

Possibly the very first time that Jinnah used the term ‘nation’ instead of ‘minority’ was on 12 April 1936, when the League resolved to contest the elections. 111 He remarked that the Muslims needed to ‘organise themselves’, to ‘compel the Congress to approach them for cooperation’. Then ‘the Muslims could arrive at a settlement with the Hindus as two nations, if not as partners’. 112 That this occurs in
1936 is also significant, in that it is the earliest direct indication of Iqbal’s influence. Both the words ‘nation’ and ‘partner’ appear here. ‘Partner’ is indicative of Jinnah’s long-held belief in Indian nationalism, in which Hindus and Muslims were to be politically become one unit. ‘Nation’ however is a word Jinnah had never used before; and most importantly, he would almost never repeat it over the following three years. In view of the time gap, it is almost as if Jinnah in 1936 was about to test a theory. Were Hindus and Muslims capable of acting as two partners, as he vainly hoped, or was Iqbal’s theory of two nations about to become an established fact?

References :
Speech at public meeting to mourn Iqbal’s death, Calcutta, 21 Apil 1938. (Yusufi Vol. II, p.795)
See Jinnah’s foreword in M. Iqbal (1974 reprint) Letters of Iqbal to Jinnah Lahore: Sh. Muhammad
Ashraf, p.5 (originally published 1942; hereinafter referred to as ‘Letters of Iqbal’)
Ibid. (p.6; a spelling error has been corrected).
Iqbal to Jinnah, 20 March 1937
Waheed Ahmad has noted that this is the first appearance of the word ‘nation’ coming from
Jinnah, to the best of his research. (NV Vol. I, p.368 fn)
See Brief Minutes of the Proceedings of the AIML Annual Session, Bombay, 11 & 12 April 1936.

(NV Vol. I, p.40)

What he said remains correct but that fact is that Jinnah was central individual and Iqbal was like many others who can be termed founding fathers of Pakistan.

Message on Iqbal Day being celebrated at Lahore, New Delhi, December 8, 1944
The Dawn, December 11, 1944

To the cherished memory of our National Poet Iqbal, I pay my homage on this day, which is being celebrated in commemoration of that great poet, sage, philosopher and thinker, and I pray to God Almighty that his soul may rest in eternal peace. Amen!

Though he is not amongst us, his verse, immortal as it is, is always there to guide us and to inspire us. His poetry, besides being beautiful in form and sweet in language, presents to us a picture of the mind and heart of this great poet, and we find how deeply he was devoted to the teachings of Islam. He was a true and faithful follower of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him), a Muslim first and a Muslim last. He was the interpreter and voice of Islam.

Iqbal was not merely a preacher and philosopher. He stood for courage and action, perseverance and self-reliance, and above all faith in God and devotion to Islam. In his person were combined the idealism of the poet and the realism of the man who takes a practical view of things. Faith in God and unceasing and untiring action is the essence of his message. And in this he emerges truly Islam. He had an unflinching faith in Islamic principles, and success in life meant to him the realization of one’s “self”, and to achieve this end the only means was to follow the teachings of Islam. His message to himanity is action and realization of one’s self.

Although a great poet and philosopher he was no less a practical politician. With his firm conviction and faith in the ideals of Islam, he was one of the few who originally thought over the feasibility of carving out of India such an Islamic state in the North-West and North-East Zones which are historical homelands of Muslims.

I wholeheartedly associate myself with the celebrations of this “Iqbal Day”, and pray that we may live up to the ideals preached by our National Poet so that we may be able to achieve and give a practical shape to these ideals in our sovereign state of Pakistan when established.

^ What about this ?

This glorification of Iqbal was an establishment agenda to promote Islam by selectively using his work. Do remember that many religious scholars were very much against Allama Iqbal once but now he is revered as a 'Maulana'.

Those religious groups are still against Iqbal even today.

What have I said wrong, Iqbals writing was contradictory, that his past was wayward.

You very well know what you said wrong.

Iqbal was and remains a complicated figure, his background has been suppressed and some of his works too.

The same happened with Quaid.

Also, mind your language, stating the truth is not rubbish.

Truth is always not what you perceive it to be.

If Iqbal did indeed condone murder by an extremist, if so many Pakistanis here celebrate a murderer, then the very basis of my understanding of this nation of Pakistan was wrong.

We are not the same even at the human level. Thank you Jinnah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom