What's new

JF17s For New Afghan Air Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are likely to see more Afghan cadets at PMA and PAF Academy.

Afghanistan neither have the capacity nor the experience or the budget to sustain an air force and absorb jets like JF-17. The entire economy is roughly $20 billion and there are nearly 40 million people in the country. Bread & butter issues and rebuilding will be their major concern.

Why not bro?
Because the new Afghan state has yet to prove that it would adhere to international norms of cooperation and diplomacy. Once the new Afghan state has been integrated into the international community via economic and strategic relations, and it proves itself sufficiently cooperative and dependable, Pakistan can help develop the new air force. For now, no new government, whether exclusively Taliban or comprising a coalition, can be trusted with weapons which can be used as leverage against Pakistan.

There are safer and more lucrative opportunities for Afghan-Pak cooperation.

Because the new Afghan state has yet to prove that it would adhere to international norms of cooperation and diplomacy. Once the new Afghan state has been integrated into the international community via economic and strategic relations, and it proves itself sufficiently cooperative and dependable, Pakistan can help develop the new air force. For now, no new government, whether exclusively Taliban and or consisting of a coalition, can be trusted with weapons which can be used as leverage against Pakistan.

There are safer and more lucrative opportunities for Afghan-Pak cooperation.
Oh yeah my thread essentially is fast forwarding 3-5 years. I should edit it.

Oh yeah my thread essentially is fast forwarding 3-5 years. I should edit it.
Your post is, forgive my bluntness, naively optimistic. There is no certainty that there will be a stable, uncontested Afghan government in the near future. If there is military resistance against the Taliban from other Afghan stakeholders, Pakistan will never arm the Taliban. It cannot bear the repercussions so long as EU and the US remain its biggest trading partners, which they will for the foreseeable future.

Expect Pakistan's interaction with the IEA, in all domains, to be very tentative for the time being.

Last edited:
One scenario Pakistan can explore is leasing Afghanistan's bases to house some PA and PAF assets, but that would depend on whether Rawalpindi still believes in 'strategic depth'. But Lt. Gen (Retd) Tariq Khan said that idea lived and died with Gen Mirza Aslam Beg. So, I guess not? (@SQ8)

Your post is, forgive my bluntness, naively optimistic. There is no certainty that there will be a stable, uncontested Afghan government in the near future. If there is military resistance against the Taliban from other Afghan stakeholders, Pakistan will never arm the Taliban. It cannot bear the consequential repercussions so long as EU and the US remain its biggest trading partners, which they will for the foreseeable future.

Expect Pakistan's interaction with the IEA, in all domains, to be very tentative for the time being.
Don’t count on it. Pakistan has trained Taleban pilots in the past. Their cadets might already be in our academies. Taliban officials were present at the last PMA passing out parade.

One scenario Pakistan can explore is leasing Afghanistan's bases to house some PA and PAF assets, but that would depend on whether Rawalpindi still believes in 'strategic depth'. But Lt. Gen (Retd) Tariq Khan said that idea lived and died with Gen Mirza Aslam Beg. So, I guess not? (@SQ8)
Don't know about strategic depth but Gen Hameed Gul seemed to stipulate that Afghanistan goes hand in hand with Pakistan. Whatever happens there will have huge impact here.

A joint base couldn't hurt I suppose. Pakistan in future will need to embark on a massive relationship building exercise. If we don't want Indians returning to Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom