What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real or PS?

Kuwaiti (flag on the tail) F-18 or Israeli (David's Star beside cockpit)?

American. What you're seeing is a faded USN emblem:

1024px-FA-18_Hornet_VFA-41.jpg

super-hornet.jpg

Kuwait doesn't yet use the Super bug, but it is planning to procure it.

Kuwait to order Boeing F/A-18 fighters worth $3 bn - Business Insider

Maybe:

Kuwait, Italy Discuss Eurofighter Buy

Israel does not use it either and has no plans to do so.

I was expecting structural changes with WS-13, but I'm not sure about the authenticity of pictures, of prototype with WS-13 engine. Do you trust those pictures?

Hi,

Right now----it is just speculation time----. We don't even know the details about the BLK 2---let alone the WS13 modifications.

IFR probe after 29th Block-2 aircraft !
Does it really make sense ... specially when you have already developed and installed the system on a prototype way before first Block-2 rolled out of PAC.
I bet there must be some kind of technical flaw or the design might be getting changed, since its based on an outdated platform "SAAF Cheetah". Because if you see, the Cheetah have two type of IFR Probe designs for a single platform alone.

Cheetah C
cheetah_c_saaf-347_pg_01_aad06.JPG

Cheetah D
CheetahD8412SqnSAAF.jpg

If JF-17 followed same design, since jf-17B coming to realiry, then it will face same issue that was with Cheetah.
It would be development and maintenance nightmare for PAC to handle two different designs of IFR probe for a single platform JF-17.

Last edited:
IFR probe after 29th Block-2 aircraft !
Does it really make sense ... specially when you have already developed and installed the system on a prototype way before first Block-2 rolled out of PAC.
I bet there must be some kind of technical flaw or the design might be getting changed, since its based on an outdated platform "SAAF Cheetah". Because if you see, the Cheetah have two type of IFR Probe designs for a single platform alone.

Cheetah C
cheetah_c_saaf-347_pg_01_aad06.JPG

Cheetah D
CheetahD8412SqnSAAF.jpg

If JF-17 followed same design, since jf-17B coming to realiry, then it will face same issue that was with Cheetah.
It would be development and maintenance nightmare for PAC to handle two different designs of IFR probe for a single platform JF-17.

May be the probe is not ready yet..

Block II will have IFR probes. The probe will start coming from 29 plane onwards. The first 29 will be fitted with IFR system afterwards.

why we are in so hurry, that we have 50 planes of Block I already, now 29 of Block II, total 79 with out IFR, which is most initial requirement of any Air force.

why we are in so hurry, that we have 50 planes of Block I already, now 29 of Block II, total 79 with out IFR, which is most initial requirement of any Air force.

Actually, it is not our "most initial" or basic requirement. Our urgent need was to replace our obsolete F-7, A-5 and Mirages with better armed planes that can perform in modern warfare. Equipped with better radar and better equipped to work in tandem with AWACS and other support platforms. Ability to engage targets at stand-off ranges. IFR was never preliminary requirement as our bases are strategically located and planes stationed on these bases are able to respond quickly, they wont need to fly long distances to confront aggressor air crafts of the enemy. Our immediate need was not to make JF-17 a long range strike fighter, and, i am not saying that IFR is of no use, it is just that it was not on top of priority list. Now that the platform is evolving, the A-5 have been replaced, we are seeing other goodies being added such as IFR. Also the IFR will also be installed on these earlier made planes (the ones that do not have IFR installed when rolled out)

Actually, it is not our "most initial" or basic requirement. Our urgent need was to replace our obsolete F-7, A-5 and Mirages with better armed planes that can perform in modern warfare. Equipped with better radar and better equipped to work in tandem with AWACS and other support platforms. Ability to engage targets at stand-off ranges. IFR was never preliminary requirement as our bases are strategically located and planes stationed on these bases are able to respond quickly, they wont need to fly long distances to confront aggressor air crafts of the enemy. Our immediate need was not to make JF-17 a long range strike fighter, and, i am not saying that IFR is of no use, it is just that it was not on top of priority list. Now that the platform is evolving, the A-5 have been replaced, we are seeing other goodies being added such as IFR. Also the IFR will also be installed on these earlier made planes (the ones that do not have IFR installed when rolled out)
To add to this excellent post one needs to setup ones priorities and act by them. The original IFR which was in place on JFT was not well liked by many of us. Obviously there are other aesthetic and functional characteristics which an air force has to keep in mind. when you then alter a plan to keep up with your needs it needs robust testing and this could well be the reason rather than the fact that an IFR is not available. There may be other reasons like ongoing negotiations with the provider and time from order to delivery.So multiple factors need to be considered. PAF cannot just delay its delivery schedule as it needs to keep replacing its obsolete fleet as per program. So the pragmatic decision is to let the plane be inducted and to add IFR later. To me this seems entirely reasonable.
Araz

To add to this excellent post one needs to setup ones priorities and act by them. The original IFR which was in place on JFT was not well liked by many of us. Obviously there are other aesthetic and functional characteristics which an air force has to keep in mind. when you then alter a plan to keep up with your needs it needs robust testing and this could well be the reason rather than the fact that an IFR is not available. There may be other reasons like ongoing negotiations with the provider and time from order to delivery.So multiple factors need to be considered. PAF cannot just delay its delivery schedule as it needs to keep replacing its obsolete fleet as per program. So the pragmatic decision is to let the plane be inducted and to add IFR later. To me this seems entirely reasonable.
Araz
Not just reasonable but quite wise sir specially considering the state of planes it is replacing (like A-5)

It is rumor that PAC is in discussion with some South African supplier, the deal is being finalized and we will start seeing IFR from 29th plan onwards and the earlier planes will be fitted with one at a later stage.

Not just reasonable but quite wise sir specially considering the state of planes it is replacing (like A-5)

It is rumor that PAC is in discussion with some South African supplier, the deal is being finalized and we will start seeing IFR from 29th plan onwards and the earlier planes will be fitted with one at a later stage.
The shown IFR was also South African. I think there may be a Chinese IFR unit somewhere within the equation which maybe one of the reasons for delay. A retractable IFR which is on JS39 was on display in IDEA a long time ago but it did not come about due to space and weight and probably cost considerations.
Araz

JFT strike package option

Attachments

• 1438406213475.jpg
    1438406213475.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom