What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For your kind information JF17 is not capable as "FRONTLINE". Second even before MLU i am still rated F16 on TOP in PAF even after FC20!

BLK52 VS FC20 = F16 RULE!
JF17 VS F16 (No comparsion)

Dear then y we r waisting our money on 300 JF-17?
If u have doubt on Thunder capabilities then y dont PAF went for MK2, available in same amount, n France will never mind that....

Lets chk the framework which is quite same

JF-17 has 7 and F-16 has 9 hard points

JF 17 ( KLJ-7 Radar , range 105KM/ KLJ-10 Radar, range 150km with Multple Radar modes and can track upto 40 targets ) has batter Radar modewise (not rangewise) then F-16A/B (AN/APG-66, range 150km)

F16 C/D has AN/APG-68 range 297km

JF-17 Avionics

Air-to-air missiles:
Short range: AIM-9L/M, PL-5E, PL-9C
Beyond visual range: PL-12 / SD-10
Air-to-surface missiles:
Anti-radiation missiles : MAR-1
Anti-ship missiles: AM-39 Exocet
Cruise missiles: Ra'ad ALCM

F-16 block 52

Air-to-air missiles:
2× AIM-7 Sparrow or
6× AIM-9 Sidewinder or
6× IRIS-T or
6× AIM-120 AMRAAM or
6× Python-4
Air-to-ground missiles:
6× AGM-45 Shrike or
6× AGM-65 Maverick or
4× AGM-88 HARM
Anti-ship missiles:
2× AGM-84 Harpoon or
4× AGM-119 Penguin

No doubt it clearly looks F-16 is batter

Last edited:
any1 knows the reason why JF-17 does not have IFR presently? i mean if we can fit it on old mirages then how difficult is it to fit on JF-17? why wait till second batch or later planes and not from begining ?

Well the second batch of JF-17 (starting from the 51th aircraft onwards) will most probably have IFR capability. And no its not difficult, infact they have already designed the IFR probe for JF-17. Here you can see it displayed at a defence exhibition:

fb65fb30c941ca0e146148d72aa09818.jpg

(picture courtesy of Mr. M.Asif Amin Khan at pakdef.info)

Stealth

The jf-17 was never meant to be a front line fighter rather a future mainstay, high performance, modern, capable, multirole fighter designed and contributed by the PAF. The Chinese friends admit their corporation. It has clearly superior avionics, radar, flight control and EW capability over the pre-block 40 aircraft. Please go through previous pages before making such comments. Your post becomes even more vague when you compare the FC-20 with the F-16 block 50-52. Do you know the exact capabilities of the FC-20? Please share with us if you do. Our current falcons have an analogue fly by wire system which was replaced with a dual digital one in the block 25 variant and further replaced by a quad fbw in the block 40 onwards. Both jf-17 and FC-20 already equipped with quad fbw as we speak. When i say FC-20, i mean the J-10B. The jf-17 radar is more capable than the early apg-68v2 radar of the F-16 C having more range, operating modes, SAR mode (which was later introduced on apg 68 series) and better anti jamming capability. Avionics are based on mil 1553-b databus standard and weapons bus is aided with 1760 one. Almost all modern fourth generation fighters follow the same MIL standard except Euro fighter, Raptor and Rafale. I am sure you have no idea when the jf-17 was tested in air to air combat scenario against the falcons during trials last year and how it triumphed the latter !! It is a remarkably easy aircraft to handle as the pilots have reduced workload from 42% of the F-16 (only two displays and many manual gadgets and dials remain) to a meager 3% in the jf-17 (Complete glass cockpit environment). I can go on and on but i suggest you read previous pages for further info.

Thanks

The front line role will be fulfilled by block 52 and FC-20s as they are both in a different league altogether compared to the thunder. Block 52's radar, apg 68v9 is a radical upgrade of the original one, having thrice the search range (300+ km), high resolution SAR, four simultaneous engagements and so on. FC-20 will be equipped with AESA and will have even better capability than the Falcons (radar wise) as per current plan.

JF 17 ( KLJ-7 Radar , range 105KM/ KLJ-10 Radar, range 150km with Multple Radar modes and can track upto 40 targets ) has batter Radar modewise (not rangewise) then F-16A/B (AN/APG-66, range 150km)

F16 C/D has AN/APG-68 range 297km

Where are you getting those numbers from?

Zubair

The ranges you wrote are not maximum ranges for both KLJ radars. They are detection ranges in look up and look down modes as per the radar antenna movement. Total search ranges for both are still classified but i believe that for KLJ-7, it should be around 150-160 kms and for KLJ-10, should be at least 220-250 kms. How i said this? Well, the Grifo M3 radar was made on the basis of apg 68 radar and has a total search range of 140 km and it is a known fact that KLJ-7, at the moment is the most capable fighter aircraft radar in service with PAF (as per the brochure) unless it is replaced with an even more capable one (suspected candidate is RDY 3/ RC-400).

Last edited:
Whats the longest range Missiles this Plane has

For the time being it supports SD-10, which has a reported range of 100KM+, exact figures aren't available, still classified.

But with a western radar, it can be equipped with any western long range missile.

For the time being it supports SD-10, which has a reported range of 100KM+, exact figures aren't available, still classified.

But with a western radar, it can be equipped with any western long range missile.

According to Shamim Sahab the Darters in our inventory have a range of 120 km, its a fire and forget BVRAAM.

According to Shamim Sahab the Darters in our inventory have a range of 120 km, its a fire and forget BVRAAM.

Well the ? was about JF-17 and am not sure if the Darter is compatible with the Chinese radar for the time being on JF-17, so did not included that one in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom