What's new

Japan's Abe Takes Step to Enhance Military's Role

Let's unleash the dragon it's ready to fly but the skies are limited now as in past 60 years neighbors get stronger and tough shields of defense not allowed him to do what he did in past, on a side note Japan is changed a lot western influence since the war over make Japanese young generation nothing but a robot with few sense remain but samurai spirit gone with the winds.

When the US still dominates, yes, Japan does not possess the strength to challenge it. But US will not be forever strong. You are talking about a Japan that switch alliance with the full might of the US still in position, and I'm talking about a Japan that has removed its bond from a much weakened US and try to reform its co-prosperity sphere with ultra-nationalist in the driving seat. Dangerous yes, but overall would be positive development for China.
I don't ever envision the US military will weaken unless a violent clash with Russia/China. Only way to weaken the USA is through war. That's how the British Empire got brought down to earth. And I am afraid that the cost of war with the USA will lead to unpredictable future. For our country, we can always regain quickly as we always do. This is why I don't fear war with the US as others have. Instead, war will make us a more lethal country down the road. As for Japan, they will fight on the side of the USA. If we defeat the US, then I can see Japan will turn to an East-Asian co-prosperity sphere. It will be a very tough task. I am talking about in 20-40 years later when we grow stronger to give the US a fight of their life.

I don't ever envision the US military will weaken unless a violent clash with Russia/China. Only way to weaken the USA is through war. That's how the British Empire got brought down to earth. And I am afraid that the cost of war with the USA will lead to unpredictable future. For our country, we can always regain quickly as we always do. This is why I don't fear war with the US as others have. Instead, war will make us a more lethal country down the road. As for Japan, they will fight on the side of the USA. If we defeat the US, then I can see Japan will turn to an East-Asian co-prosperity sphere. It will be a very tough task. I am talking about in 20-40 years later when we grow stronger to give the US a fight of their life.

But British empire was not brought down by a war with the US, wasn't it? One thing with maintaining a global empire is that there are conflicts everywhere, and one endup fighting wars all over the map. I don't think China should or would ever engage in a war with the US, at least not directly. But that doesn't mean US would not weaken, as it has been considerably weakened in recent years without China doing anything. Japan will only become a concern once it regain its independence, but on its own, its a very managable concern, which is why bring it back to my initial point, China would rather see an ultra-nationalistic Japan, as that will only bring it into conflict with the US. And there are things China can do to facilitate the rise of ultra-nationalists in Japan, by poking it.

No, they won't be.. To think otherwise is pure deluded fantasy.

It's never about how one wants or willing do, but what one can afford and is capable of doing.

Last edited:
But British empire was not brought down by a war with the US, wasn't it? One thing with maintaining a global empire is that there are conflicts everywhere, and one endup fighting wars all over the map. I don't think China should or would ever engage in a war with the US, at least not directly. But that doesn't mean US would not weaken, as it has been considerably weakened in recent years without China doing anything. Japan will only become a concern once it regain its independence, but on its own, its a very managable concern, which is why bring it back to my initial point, China would rather see an ultra-nationalistic Japan, as that will only bring it into conflict with the US. And there are things China can do to facilitate the rise of ultra-nationalists in Japan, by poking it.

It's never about how one wants or willing do, but what one can afford and is capable of doing.

1. You're rather insane to think that we want a war with the United States.
2. Get back to reality.

1. You're rather insane to think that we want a war with the United States.
2. Get back to reality.

Your "We" as in Japanese ultra-nationalists? I never said anything about war, but what I do know is that even many of those who are not ultra-nationalist in Japan want the nation to be what's so called a "normal" country, as to undo the restrain that's been placed on it after WWII. Guess who is the enforcer of that restaint. Well, good luck, and you have China's support.

No, they won't be.. To think otherwise is pure deluded fantasy.

Never say never my fellow American. American strategic plan must include all sorts of worst case contingency planning. As they say "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst". What seems impossible today may seem possible just in a mere decade.

Never say never my fellow American. American strategic plan must include all sorts of worst case contingency planning. As they say "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst". What seems impossible today may seem possible just in a mere decade.

I was responding to @Nihonjin1051 saying "They won't be leaving Asia-Pacific in the foreseeable future" which is true. Now, does that mean forever? No of course it doesn't. In addition, anything is of course within the realm of possibility. Your point is well taken brother.

British empire weaken by war with major power German. Same with France empire and any major empire (Ottoman, Czar Russia, Austria-Hungary, etc..). Only major war with a major power can weaken for decades. Sometime completely destroyed and annihilated into existence. Similar event needs to happen with the US to weaken it. Minor country like Iraq won't cause the US to lose its sweat. It can slow them down but they will recuperate in a short time. US is still a very potent and dangerous military power despite going to war with small to medium size powers.

Like I said, it is a very dangerous gamble that a re-militaristic Japanese will side with the East, instead of the West. Quite honestly, the history of Japan demonstrates they side with the West to control the East. We have to be careful.

British empire weaken by war with major power German. Same with France empire and any major empire (Ottoman, Czar Russia, Austria-Hungary, etc..). Only major war with a major power can weaken for decades. Sometime completely destroyed and annihilated into existence. Similar event needs to happen with the US to weaken it. Minor country like Iraq won't cause the US to lose its sweat. It can slow them down but they will recuperate in a short time. US is still a very potent and dangerous military power despite going to war with small to medium size powers.

Like I said, it is a very dangerous gamble that a re-militaristic Japanese will side with the East, instead of the West. Quite honestly, the history of Japan demonstrates they side with the West to control the East. We have to be careful.

With MAD, the possibility of major power confrontation are becoming ever remote. Looking at how expensive war has gotten these days however, I'll say even a major power mired in a protracted war with a minor one will weaken it significantly. Moreover, strength is relative, that when your competitor outgrows you, your are in fact weakened and restrained by the growing capability of your competitor. Overall, the trend is certainly against the US.

Why would it matter which side Japan will side with? Japan will not be an ally in any case but rather a competitor, that even if it "sides with the east" so to speak, it'll want to be the dominate player rather than allowing China to take control. Without the US, it is a minor threat due to its geopolitical limitation even if it goes through full militarization.

Back
Top Bottom