What's new

Japanese style democracy for Asia

vietnamese_sausage

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Since Japan is culturally traced to Chinese traditional culture, would a democracy fashioned like the Japanese system work for China and Vietnam?
Chinese PDF posters want China to convert back to more traditional Confucian thinking and preserve its traditional culture. the Japanese model should fit perfectly for China? Japan became democratic after WWII without internal turmoil from monarchy rule. China can follow the same model with no internal bloodshed. what's your thoughts?

I don't think Vietnam is ready yet because we don't have manufacturing capability but China should.

Japan didn't just wake up one day and decide to adopt parliamentary government. They went through a century of cultural change beforehand. China hasn't done this and doesn't intend to. Korea and Taiwan were dictatorships as recently as the late eighties. Thailand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, The Phillipines, North Korea, Brunei, Laos. Indonesia, Vietnam,Cambodia, Singapore and Malaysia are all authoritarian countries to some degree. I dont think most of Asia will ever adopt the kind of democracy practiced in Europe, Japan or North America.

Last edited:
Do you want your land be given up as military bases for the hegemony?

Since several Vietnamese flagged members are strong advocates of the "occupy central" anti-social criminals in Hongkong, they should adopt the approach to overthrow their Vietnamese communists government.

Take your idol - the high school under-achiever, Joshua Wong as your spiritual and de-facto leader to organise your "sacred" cause! 8-):enjoy::angel:

Last edited:
Japan didn't just wake up one day and decide to adopt parliamentary government. They went through a century of cultural change beforehand. China hasn't done this and doesn't intend to. Korea and Taiwan were dictatorships as recently as the late eighties. Thailand, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, The Phillipines, North Korea, Brunei, Laos. Indonesia, Vietnam,Cambodia, Singapore and Malaysia are all authoritarian countries to some degree. I dont think most of Asia will ever adopt the kind of democracy practiced in Europe, Japan or North America.
It will take some time. The problem with Sri Lanka is that as soon as one party comes to power, the other political parties totally fade away. The political party that is in power is always consuming manpower from minor parties so the incidents of defections are very high. The result is that one party gets overwhelming power and feels no challenge hence the authoritarian actions. And the other part of the problem is that, a lot of politicians seem to play the race/religion/party card over the country's interests which is very wrong. When one party comes to power, the others criticizes the ruling party regardless of its actions so the politics have turned into hell of a joke. Overall I prefer to have a authoritarian ruler who can quickly industrialize the country over a weak democratic ruler for the time.

Do you want your land be given up as military bases for the hegemony?

Since several Vietnamese flagged members are strong advocates of the "occupy central" anti-social criminals in Hongkong, they should adopt the approach to overthrow their Vietnamese communists government.

Take your idol - the marginal unversity flunker, Joshua Wong as your spiritual and de-facto leader to organise your "sacred" course! 8-):enjoy::angel:
Vietnam will never allow any foreign bases no matter of government form.

Chinese PDF posters want China to convert back to more traditional Confucian thinking and preserve its traditional culture

Who said this? Do they represent all Chinese members here? Its clear that at least half the members here don't and would rather have Chinese modernity instead of regressing backwards in time. Stop generalizing, because if you generalize, it hurts Vietnamese (who have common problems that we all know about) much more than Chinese.

In my opinion to this thread, with a flip of the hand.

But first, they would need to fully understand and know the pros and cons of this system, since China may be paranoid with foreign assistants. They should put it to practice first...say in Hong Kong. :D

With China's current wealth, power, organization skills and with patience, which is already a Chinese trait, a transition to democracy, if they choose to, would probably be smooth.

Fighting corruption and nepotism is another issue.

You have a provocative "Avatar" :D

Oya, don't listen to that British fool above :P

Don't you think that's a wee bit myopic , Steve-San ?

I don't know nor do i care to search it. As we write now no foreigners bases in vietnam

The base closed when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Vietnam - The Soviet Union

Since Japan is culturally traced to Chinese traditional culture, would a democracy fashioned like the Japanese system work for China and Vietnam?
Chinese PDF posters want China to convert back to more traditional Confucian thinking and preserve its traditional culture. the Japanese model should fit perfectly for China? Japan became democratic after WWII without internal turmoil from monarchy rule. China can follow the same model with no internal bloodshed. what's your thoughts?

I don't think Vietnam is ready yet because we don't have manufacturing capability but China should.

Hi ,

I recommend you read the following. It provides a reasonable perspective in the contextual framework of political science.

http://www.class.uh.edu/faculty/tsommers/Open and Closed Societies/singapore soft authoritarianism.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom