Mage

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Japan was always close to my heart: Hasina
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com

Published: 28 May 2019 09:31 AM BdST Updated: 28 May 2019 09:31 AM BdST

• sheikh-hasina-smiles-flag-pm.jpg

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has shared her “fascination” with Japan since childhood ahead of the official visit, and said this came from her father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

In an opinion piece published in The Japan Times, she also invited Japanese investors as Bangladesh is transforming from “an agrarian economy into a service- and manufacturing sector-led growth trajectory”.

“From my childhood, I have had a fascination with Japan. I used to collect Japanese art, calendars, stamps, dolls, etc. Japan was always close to my heart,” she wrote before beginning her official tour on Tuesday.

“This was transmitted to me from my father,” she said, referring to Bangabandhu’s relations with Japan.

Hasina’s visit from May 28-30 to Tokyo, where she will also present the keynote at an international conference on the future of Asia apart from summit meeting with her counterpart Shinzo Abe, is the first after she formed the government for the third successive term in January.

Japan was also her among the first countries to visit in 2014, when she came to power for the second consecutive term.

This year she is going at a time when the new imperial era began in Japan on May 1.

Hasina recognised the era of “hope and harmony” and said: “Let the new era bring us closer, connect us deeper and help us build a safe and prosperous world for our children.”

In the opinion titled ‘the Japan-Bangladesh partnership for development’, she said she shares the aspiration of her father “to transform my country to be another Japan”.

She highlighted the ongoing major infrastructure development schemes to ensure energy security, food security and a better standard of living for people, and said Bangladesh offers “the most liberal and congenial investment regime in South Asia”.

“Based on the success of “Vision 2021,” we now aspire to become a developed country by 2041. Transforming our young generation into valuable human resources for the global supply chain will be a key component to realising this target.”

“We have planned to set up 100 special economic zones, including one for Japanese investors. Japan and Bangladesh have always enjoyed a close relationship based on mutual trust and cooperation.”

She wrote the historical background to the relations and said: “There is close resemblance between our flags.”

“Saving money from their meals, Japanese students stood beside us during our liberation war. Japan was one of the first countries to recognise Bangladesh on Feb. 10, 1972.”

“Our father of the nation, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, used to say the Japanese flag reminds him of the land of the rising sun and ours recalls the independence gained by sacrificing millions of lives and our green field.”

“He inspired us to follow the Japanese transition process from agrarian to industrialisation, focusing on farm mechanisation,” Hasina said, referring to the strong foundation of bilateral relations laid by Bangabandhu through his historic visit in October 1973.

“Responding to the request of the president, Japan conducted a thorough feasibility study for the Jamuna (Bangabandhu) Bridge in 1974. Mujib’s “The Unfinished Memoire” was translated first into the Japanese language before any other,” she said.

While in the opposition, Hasina wrote, she took “the opportunity to build a personal relationship with Japanese political leaders by participating in an international conference in 1992”.

During her first official visit as prime minister in 1996, she said, Japan pledged to help build the Padma and Rupsha bridges. Rupsha Bridge was constructed by Japan and a feasibility study of Padma Bridge was conducted.

At that time, parliamentarians and friendship committees were formed to strengthen people-to-people relationships, she said. “We are very encouraged to see that Japanese entrepreneurs are demonstrating more enthusiasm about business and investment opportunities in Bangladesh.”

Presently, 280 Japanese firms are operating in Bangladesh, a 10-fold increase over the last decade. Different surveys conducted by Japanese institutions revealed that the confidence of Japanese-affiliated firms in doing business in Bangladesh is “improving”.

“We welcome foreign private investment in almost all sectors of the economy with no restriction on the amount of investment,” Hasina wrote.

“Foreign investors are eligible to take advantage of a wide range of generous tax concessions and other fiscal incentives. We have bilateral investment treaties with 32 countries and Avoidance of Double Taxation treaties with 28 countries, including Japan.”

She said the friendship with Japan was “tested” in the terror attack in Dhaka in July 2016, which led to the tragic death of seven Japanese nationals.

“It was during that moment of national anguish and mourning that yet again, the Japanese people and government stood by us and reassured us of Japan’s continued support to Bangladesh’s development,” she said. “Japan and Bangladesh are resolved to fight terrorism and extremism together.”

Both countries will celebrate the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations in 2022. “I am confident that with our shared values and commitment to promoting peace and development, we shall ensure prosperity for our peoples. Our twin flags are a reminder of the umbilical ties that bind us together,” she said.

Since 1972, Bangladesh received $ 11.3 billion in official development aid from Tokyo, making Japan the largest bilateral development partner of Bangladesh. The 40th official development assistance worth $2.5 billion will be signed during the prime minister’s visit.

https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2019/05/28/japan-was-always-close-to-my-heart-hasina

How come her pyare Modi become less of a priority over Japan. I thought India is more close to her. In this time, her visit to Japan doesnt look normal :undecided: Saw that BJP sponsored Zee TV continuously circulating a video regarding Hasina praise. Seems like some message.

“He inspired us to follow the Japanese transition process from agrarian to industrialisation, focusing on farm mechanisation,” Hasina said, referring to the strong foundation of bilateral relations laid by Bangabandhu through his historic visit in October 1973.
This Hasina Bibi is talking something but is doing something else. It cannot be described in one sentence, but, Japan mechanized its agriculture with its home-made industrial products, whereas BD is doing with foreign-made products. Since 1947, BD has been unable to build its own factories to produce irrigation pumps or any of the following farm equipment:
  • Tractor.
  • Plow or Plough.
  • Harrows. Harrows are secondary tillage.
  • Seeders to plant the seeds in the ground.
  • Fertilizer spreader.
  • Combine.
  • Baler.
So, it is useless to say, "I love Japanese style" when the country essentially is doing opposite to what Japan did after the 1860s. Can it be that the BAL cronies are the importer of the farm equipment and so the BAL interest does not coincide to building factories in the country? So what even if it causes the unemployed youths to voyage abroad on ragtag boats for survival.

Anyway, this is Bangladesh style of national development. I should not criticize it because that Noakhailla @Bilal9 will tag me Sanghi. After all, he is a great patriot. Maybe, Hasina Bibi is just following his blabbers of advice while he sips his internationally famous 300 Taka BD tea.

@Mage, @Nilgiri, @Atlas, @Doctor Strange

Last edited:
This Hasina Bibi is talking something but is doing something else. It cannot be described in one sentence, but, Japan mechanized its agriculture with its home-made industrial products, whereas BD is doing with foreign-made products. Since 1947, BD has been unable to build its own factories to produce irrigation pumps or any of the following farm equipment:
  • Tractor.
  • Plow or Plough.
  • Harrows. Harrows are secondary tillage.
  • Seeders to plant the seeds in the ground.
  • Fertilizer spreader.
  • Combine.
  • Baler.
So, it is useless to say, "I love Japanese style" when the country essentially is doing opposite to what Japan did after the 1860s. Can it be that the BAL cronies are the importer of the farm equipment and so the BAL interest does not coincide to building factories in the country? So what even if it causes the unemployed youths to voyage abroad on ragtag boats for survival.

Anyway, this is Bangladesh style of national development. I should not criticize it because that Noakhailla @Bilal9 will tag me Sanghi. After all, he is a great patriot. Maybe, Hasina Bibi is just following his blabbers of advice while he sips his internationally famous 300 Taka BD tea.

@Mage, @Nilgiri, @Atlas, @Doctor Strange

Bangladesh needs at least one integrated tractor factory of this scale:

But it would mean more dedicated govt and businesses that know what they are doing to attract the capital investment. BD govt still charges massive excise rate on vehicle assembly industry....how are business ppl going to invest in assembly and then work backwards in the supply chain (over time) for more inherent capacity from scratch?

I have talked with Mage before on this, its ridiculous that BD does not apply its RMG model (import raw stuff u need + assemble and dont tax the assembly excessively...so u pass on labour savings for businesses as much you can) to other manufacturing....rather than focus purely on the expensive capital sink stuff (which inevitably never happens in scale needed, and is used as some lame excuse in the end).

Then that noakhalia idiot says "BD economy is driven by internal consumption and not FDI" lol....when BD govt does not even allow some competitive sectors to form....and instead just launders whatever inflation it can to bump up "growth" numbers. Who can provide any credible checking on this? 3 or 4% growth in terms of "poverty reduction" (that most people want to reference in some visual way) is not too different to 7 - 8 % growth....especially if you look at the household income data in HIES.

It is truly awful that BD total energy consumption is showing very poor growth in last 3 years or so at this already low base....and BD govt wants to claim this and that when not one 3rd party consumption pattern reflects the numbers claimed.

Hasina's reception party thrown in Hotel New Otani by expatriate Bangladeshis (read BAL cronies) in Japan.

PM-Japan-community-event-03.jpg

Last edited:
Did you attend it? :)
No, I am not a big man to be invited. This party has been basically arranged by the BAL Chapter in Japan. However, though I am a small peanut, I had the good luck to attend the Receptions arranged by the Japanese govt for President Mujib, President Ziaur Rahman, President Ershad, and PM Khaleda Zia. This is Hasina's second visit. I did not attend also her first visit. Out of her two visits by Begum Zia, I attended only the 1st one.

Mujib was accompanied by Sk. Rehana and Sk. Russel, Zia by his Begum, Ershad (I do not remember exactly, perhaps by Begum Roushan). It seems Rehana is with Hasina this time, not sure though.

Last edited:
You do realize that this is the month of Ramadan and restraint - right?? :disagree:

Please don't make us party to this if you would.

Says the hypocrite trash....take your fake outrage some place else....the very fact you quote and respond to something that you deem so "haram" ...just to preen like a peacock in the first place says a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom