What's new

Japan Posts Record ¥20 Trillion Trade Deficit in 2022

Japan with a trade deficit?

Also Germany heading in the same direction.

The world as we know it is being stood on its head.

We are heading towards a new world order.

Not really, as it was not the volume of trade.

Notice that the OP is gaslighting and posting trade deficit on Japan, which is a very definitive criteria because it pointed to one thing. It import more than it export.

What does that mean? It really don't mean nothing because we don't really know the actual detail of trade, was it lower or higher? That can only show on comparing trade volume.

Case in point, do you know China has been running a trade deficit to Australia since 2008? And in 2021 it reaches the highest point of 98 billions dollar trade deficit?

What does that mean? It mean nothing other than China is buying more (In this case raw material) than selling to Australia. The issue here is, China net intake does not mean they don't produce anything and then sell them to Australia, they may have record export volume to Australia but that was overshadowed by import volume and the thing is, whatever China import from Australia does not just use it on export in Australia. Which render this figure pointless.

On the other hand, Japan was not a traditional net export country, not since 2010, there were just a few years when japan actually have a positive trade amount, and most of their import were Oil and Petroleum Products.....

View attachment 930519

And I would say the current deficit mostly comes from high oil and gas prices than "they refused to sell Chinese their chip"

It was clearly stated in the content of the article.
"the deficit occurred due to soaring energy prices and the depreciation of the Japanese yen"

I think the problem is that many people on the PDF don't read the article content. They just read the OP's title and comments, and then come to a conclusion.

Japan with a trade deficit?

Also Germany heading in the same direction.

The world as we know it is being stood on its head.

We are heading towards a new world order.
Not really.

It just shows Japan is now an advance economy, not based in manufacturing. It happened to almost all non-Resource rich advance economy.

It was clearly stated in the content of the article.
"Deficit occurred due to soaring energy prices and Japanese yen"

I think the problem is that many people on the PDF don't read the article content. They just read the OP's title and comments, and then come to a conclusion.
Well, you don't really need to read the article to know the OP conclusion was wrong. Because I too didn't read the article.

Problem is, such article does not really do much but try to sway opinion by the public gobsmacked opinion, and in this case OP and anyone that buy OP's story and definition is what we would called "Useful Idiots" to propagate this theory.

For people who know economy, this is quite normal lol, It more or less just show Japan is a net import country, and probably have a big enough market to digest their own products. Most advanced economy do, if you go look up US, UK, or France or any advance Western Economy, or "The Rich Country" they all have negative balance of trade. Only country with big industrial base and resource rich usually do have positive balance of trade, and sometimes it can be rich country like Australia, or Saudi Arabia, sometime it is shithole like Russia and Venezuela.

Last edited:
Japan, LOL.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 12.24.36 AM.png

BTW, don't forget their largest export industry is automobile. China is going to eat their lunch within next 5 years.

China overtakes Japan as world's top car exporter - BBC News

Not really.

It just shows Japan is now an advance economy, not based in manufacturing. It happened to almost all non-Resource rich advance economy.

Well, you don't really need to read the article to know the OP conclusion was wrong. Because I too didn't read the article.

Problem is, such article does not really do much but try to sway opinion by the public gobsmacked opinion, and in this case OP and anyone that buy OP's story and definition is what we would called "Useful Idiots" to propagate this theory.

For people who know economy, this is quite normal lol, It more or less just show Japan is a net import country, and probably have a big enough market to digest their own products. Most advanced economy do, if you go look up US, UK, or France or any advance Western Economy, or "The Rich Country" they all have negative balance of trade. Only country with big industrial base and resource rich usually do have positive balance of trade, and sometimes it can be rich country like Australia, or Saudi Arabia, sometime it is shithole like Russia and Venezuela.
The only developed country with a long-term deficit is the USA.

Long term deficits can lead to currency depreciation, domestic capital outflow, a decrease in employment rate, a decrease in production and consumption, and a decrease in national income.

I suggest you don't talk nonsense. The majority of PDF members come from South Asia and are well aware of the drawbacks of trade deficits.

It's total BS, tell me what edge Singapore, Taiwan, Czechia, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary.. hold over China and US, other than being very small?
Hmm. So, an unbiased estimator of a statistic, developed at Harvard, is not legit because it rates the technical complexities of smaller countries more than bigger countries.

Did the CCP decide to put a ban on teaching statistics too? Did they decide that it's total BS?

Btw Harvard placed US ECI in trade and exports lower than these "small" countries.

BTW, don't forget their largest export industry is automobile. China is going to eat their lunch within next 5 years
As of right now, Japanese cars from the 80's and 90's are still plying on roads all over the world. If China can achieve the same quality and reliability, then they might eat their lunch. Probably not in 5 years though.

The only developed country with a long-term deficit is the USA.

Long term deficits can lead to currency depreciation, domestic capital outflow, a decrease in employment rate, a decrease in production and consumption, and a decrease in national income.

I suggest you don't talk nonsense. The majority of PDF members come from South Asia and are well aware of the drawbacks of trade deficits.
You ask me not to talk about "Nonsense" when you start with "The only developed countries with a long-term deficit is the USA"

Set aside you have not show any evidence of you know how "Trade Deficit" works, other than you claim "member form South Asia are aware of the drawback" which itself is not an answer to begin with. Also, does the meaning of Trade Deficit different in the West or Africa than in "South Asia" so you need to be from South Asia to know the drawback?

UK25Years.jpg

UK 25 Years balance of trade are mostly negative

France25Years.jpg

France 25 years Balance of Trade are mostly negative

Canada Balance of Trade.jpg

Canada Balance of Trade are mostly Negative since 2010

Hong Kong 25Y.jpg

Hong Kong 25 years history (I know Hong Kong is not a country BTW)

Of the other "Advanced" economy, a lot of the other are either resource rich (like Australia (iron, coal, copper, uranium), Norway (Oil and Gas), Saudi Arabia and other ME countries or being Production Base economy like Germany, Belgium and so on) and other economy is just too small to count.

Next time, you come with a economic textbook definition of "Trade Deficit" to me and I may think of your post seriouusly, otherwise I would suggest you NOT to over do it, because it make you look like an arse, becuase some people on PDF know what they are talking......

Last edited:
japan should now become agriculture export country. they got tools, machinery, people for it.

Japan could be the only country in the world whose 1995's GDP being bigger than today's GDP.
There is an animated film called<Crayon Shin chan>in Japan. Nohara Shinnosuke's father's name is Hiroshi Nohara.

In 1993, when this animation first aired, Hiroshi Nohara's monthly salary was 300000 yen. At the 1993 exchange rate, this is equivalent to 3100 US dollars.

In 2022, Japanese television broadcast<Crayon Shin chan 2022>. Hiroshi Nohara's monthly income in 2022 became 280000 yen, equivalent to $2030. This number is actually lower than the middle class in most eastern provinces of China.

Hiroshi Nohara's monthly income in 2022 became 280000 yen, equivalent to $2030. This number is actually lower than the middle class in most eastern provinces of China.

Yeah, right. Another brag I'm hearing from you.

Median income in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou in order:

1684597974381.png

1684598000469.png

1684598013246.png

1684598027856.png

1684598490363.png

The median income even in the first-tier cities is not even USD1k, not to mention the whole province.

In Guangzhou only ~3.3% earns >RMB15K (~USD2140). The percentage would be even lower if you consider the entire Guangdong province, since the high-paying jobs are concentrated in Guangzhou/Shenzhen.

但沿海省份到你这吹牛就中产个个月入两千美元, 比日本卡通人物高. 日本人水深火热,需要靠黄色产业发展经济,中国又赢麻了.

1684599623883.png

Last edited:
Yeah, right. Another brag I'm hearing from you.

Median income in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou in order:

View attachment 930646
View attachment 930647
View attachment 930648
View attachment 930649

View attachment 930650

The median income even in the first-tier cities is not even USD1k, not to mention the whole province.

In Guangzhou only ~3.3% earns >RMB15K (~USD2140). The percentage would be even lower if you consider the entire Guangdong province, since the high-paying jobs are concentrated in Guangzhou/Shenzhen.

但沿海省份到你这吹牛就中产个个月入两千美元, 比日本卡通人物高. 日本人水深火热,需要靠黄色产业发展经济,中国又赢麻了.

View attachment 930654
I don't even know where your data comes from. Take a look at my data.

Based on your understanding of China, you should know which cities are in the east and which are in the west.

8d7b2f7c9b1a41efbc4c6a33b7f3ad5c.png

Back
Top Bottom