What's new

Japan is converting its 2 biggest warships into aircraft carriers, and US Marines are helping it train to use them

DJ_Viper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Japan is converting its 2 biggest warships into aircraft carriers, and US Marines are helping it train to use them
Benjamin Brimelow
Oct 8, 2021, 9:14 AM

Marine Corps F-35B lands on Japanese ship Izumo

A US Marine Corps F-35B lands aboard Japanese light aircraft carrier Izumo, October 3, 2021. US Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Tyler Harmon
  • This month, US Marine Corps F-35Bs landed on and took off aboard Japanese warship Izumo.
  • It was the first time a fixed-wing aircraft has operated from a Japanese aircraft carrier in 75 years.
  • The milestone reflects Japan's growing focus on countering China and its close work with allies to do so.

As China increases the size and capability of its military, Japan has responded by adapting its Self-Defense Force to meet what it sees as a growing threat.
Japan has created its first amphibious military unit since World War II and launched a new class of high-tech frigates, and it's restructuring its tank force to be lighter and more mobile and building up its missile capabilities.

Perhaps the most eye-opening move, though, is the conversion of its two Izumo-class helicopter carriers into dedicated aircraft carriers.
On Sunday, two US Marine Corps F-35Bs landed on and took off from the deck of the Izumo, the lead ship of the class — the first time a fixed-wing aircraft has operated from a Japanese carrier in 75 years.

The test is just the first step toward Japan getting its first carriers since World War II.

@Hakikat ve Hikmet @MH.Yang @Deino @HRK @KAL-EL @raptor22 @bilibili @tower9 @Waqas @Khan vilatey @The SC @nang2 @raptor22 @aziqbal @F-22Raptor @Hakikat ve Hikmet @VCheng @K_Bin_W @Falconless @Windjammer @JamD @Oracle @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Waterboy @HammerHead081 @Path-Finder @Maarkhoor @POPEYE-Sailor

Seems like China is about to face about 8-10 aircraft carriers from different navies, as well as a big number of -35's from various nations (estimated about 300-350). That's a very large number of stealth aircrafts that China has no fix for to engage or win from.

Last edited:
Imagine if when China launched the Shandong, a Su-33 with a red star symbol landed on it. But this Su-33 has a different red star.

There is no 8-1 written underneath it! It is just a plain red star.

Out steps a blonde haired blue eyed pilot, speaking Russian. Chinese sailors rush to congratulate him.

Chinese media reports on what an earth shattering, awesome advance this is.

Finally, a foreign aircraft, controlled by a foreign pilot, landed on our ship. Therefore, we are powerful.

Benjamin Brimelow
Oct 8, 2021, 9:14 AM

Marine Corps F-35B lands on Japanese ship Izumo

A US Marine Corps F-35B lands aboard Japanese light aircraft carrier Izumo, October 3, 2021. US Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Tyler Harmon
  • This month, US Marine Corps F-35Bs landed on and took off aboard Japanese warship Izumo.
  • It was the first time a fixed-wing aircraft has operated from a Japanese aircraft carrier in 75 years.
  • The milestone reflects Japan's growing focus on countering China and its close work with allies to do so.

As China increases the size and capability of its military, Japan has responded by adapting its Self-Defense Force to meet what it sees as a growing threat.
Japan has created its first amphibious military unit since World War II and launched a new class of high-tech frigates, and it's restructuring its tank force to be lighter and more mobile and building up its missile capabilities.

Perhaps the most eye-opening move, though, is the conversion of its two Izumo-class helicopter carriers into dedicated aircraft carriers.
On Sunday, two US Marine Corps F-35Bs landed on and took off from the deck of the Izumo, the lead ship of the class — the first time a fixed-wing aircraft has operated from a Japanese carrier in 75 years.

The test is just the first step toward Japan getting its first carriers since World War II.

@Hakikat ve Hikmet @MH.Yang @Deino @HRK @KAL-EL @raptor22 @bilibili @tower9 @Waqas @Khan vilatey @The SC @nang2 @raptor22 @aziqbal @F-22Raptor @Hakikat ve Hikmet @VCheng @K_Bin_W @Falconless @Windjammer @JamD @Oracle @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Waterboy @HammerHead081 @Path-Finder @Maarkhoor @POPEYE-Sailor

Seems like China is about to face about 8-10 aircraft carriers from different navies, as well as a big number of -35's from various nations (estimated about 300-350). That's a very large number of stealth aircrafts that China has no fix for to engage or win from.
China is bigger then all these countries combined

Is this training similar to Afghan Nation Army that Amreekans provided... LOL.... Trust me in the face of formidable opponent you Amreekans are/will be reduced to Internet warriors ONLY with lots of CGI because way things are unfolding I am 100% certain your run of the mill strategy of proxies & terrorists will not work.... PEROID....

Is this training similar to Afghan Nation Army that Amreekans provided... LOL.... Trust me in the face of formidable opponent you Amreekans are/will be reduced to Internet warriors ONLY with lots of CGI because way things are unfolding I am 100% certain your run of the mill strategy of proxies & terrorists will not work.... PEROID....

There is no other nation but the US that has been to war the most since WWI. Afg. situation is used like a bad song. Training and bravery are two different things. We provided the training, they didn't have the bravery to standup for what they told us they'd stand up for. So that's that.

In SCS, Japan has been to WWI and WWII, if it wasn't for the US-Japan military agreements from WWII, the Japanese would probably be the second largest force today after the US. Post WWII agreements screwed them over. Doesn't mean they don't know how to fight. The UK and India have fought many wars in their respective regions so trust me, if I was China, I'd feel a little anxious and encircled. A 350-400 force of -35 is a massive air force to fight and win from. Just being realistic.

There is no other nation but the US that has been to war the most since WWI. Afg. situation is used like a bad song. Training and bravery are two different things. We provided the training, they didn't have the bravery to standup for what they told us they'd stand up for. So that's that.

In SCS, Japan has been to WWI and WWII, if it wasn't for the US-Japan military agreements from WWII, the Japanese would probably be the second largest force today after the US. Post WWII agreements screwed them over. Doesn't mean they don't know how to fight. The UK and India have fought many wars in their respective regions so trust me, if I was China, I'd feel a little anxious and encircled. A 350-400 force of -35 is a massive air force to fight and win from. Just being realistic.

This is lot of noise, going by your track record its not very good case in point NoKo, Nam, Bay of Pigs now A-Stan... I'd say forget China its way too big for you even Russkies with 1/10 of Chinese economy can put you in your place... Forget your regional proxies & terrorists that will not work deal with NoKo 1st that is much closer to home get your USS pueblo back that would be a litmus test and a very good one too :) The rest is much further down the line.

America is a global hegemony. Sending all aircraft carriers to East Asia means there will be vast power empty zones. The terrible results wont be what America want to face up.
Aircraft carrier itself has 0 attack ability but target, finally it's still fighters battles. America don't have absolutely advantages in the sky. America also cann't surrounds China, the broad Asia-Euro continent's communication is very smooth.

The thing is that F-35 force will need a base or ACC to fly from and Chinese A2D capabilities are very robust which can keep ACCs & aircrafts far from their EEZ.

The thing is that F-35 force will need a base or ACC to fly from and Chinese A2D capabilities are very robust which can keep ACCs & aircrafts far from their EEZ.

This is where it gets interesting. China has it's own self-declared 9 Dash line as their own "EEZ" when it's international ocea. Additionally, with Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc, etc, it's a crowded ocean so not one nation can claim it. Distance between Chinese ocean and Taiwan is just 110KM. Which is like an hour on a car and this brings international laws very close to the Chinese oceans. Just like the Chinese have A2D, the Aegis destroyers and CBG's, plus Taiwan and other areas will also have A2D capability.

This is a poor analogy. Failing to understand Afghan social structure is not the same as training advanced militaries with discipline. That's why the PAF goes to events like RED FLAG when offered.
F-35B is not suitable for air combat. It's too heavy and too slow. Very expensive to operate as a fighter jet. It was developed for US marines, not for US navy.
Well it carries AMRAAMS and sidewinder So I am sure it will hold its own.
More importantly Japan now has carriers for the first time in almost 80 years.

This is where it gets interesting. China has it's own self-declared 9 Dash line as their own "EEZ" when it's international ocea. Additionally, with Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc, etc, it's a crowded ocean so not one nation can claim it. Distance between Chinese ocean and Taiwan is just 110KM. Which is like an hour on a car and this brings international laws very close to the Chinese oceans. Just like the Chinese have A2D, the Aegis destroyers and CBG's, plus Taiwan and other areas will also have A2D capability.

What Chinese can do to USN in it's backyard US knows it well that is why US will not fight a direct war with China, Agis is not what it was in 80s that tech can be overwhelmed with saturated strikes and jammed too

What Chinese can do to USN in it's backyard US knows it well that is why US will not fight a direct war with China, Agis is not what it was in 80s that tech can be overwhelmed with saturated strikes and jammed too

You seem to know all about Aegis, care to tell us how it's saturated? I hope you can comprehend mathematics before answering. A CBG can have about 30 ships. If 10 of those are Aegis ships, each one of these is interlinked yet has it own compute processing capacity. So if one ships can track 300 targets, combined it would be 3000! This is obliviously an example I'm giving out. But this isn't just a SAM system. It's internetwork of various anti-missile systems in layers. Also, don't forget the counter attack scenario if a CBG is attacked.

Back
Top Bottom