What's new

Japan Economy Forum

55465211-1340264304-nu-tiep-vien-hang-khong-2.jpg

Head4_jpg3.jpg

An Update On Japan's Stock Breakout

Earlier this week, Japan’s Nikkei stock average surged above its 15,500 resistance level to hit a six-month high on positive earnings reports from Japanese companies that generate most of their revenues overseas such as Honda and Fanuc. Unfortunately for Japan, today’s sharp global market selloff is threatening the Nikkei’s fledgling attempt to rally after struggling for most of the year.

Today’s market panic was precipitated by Argentina’s default, rising inflation and monetary tightening fears driven by a strong uptick in the U.S. employment cost index, as well as ongoing concerns about the U.S. stock market’s high valuation. As I wrote a few days ago, the Nikkei must remain above its 15,500 level for the breakout to remain valid, otherwise all bets are off.

For now, the Nikkei still appears to be above the 15,500 level even though it has corrected back to its initial breakout point. If global markets can manage to rebound after today’s dramatic decline, the Nikkei may have another chance to rally.

fut_chart.png

An Update On Japan's Stock Breakout - Forbes

Japan electronics giants on profit path

7024050a911ad4e4b43efd3d2d6f28f777cc4613.jpg

Sony posts a $261 million first-quarter net profit thanks to brisk sales of its PlayStation 4 console and a weak yen

Tokyo (AFP) —

Sony and Panasonic on Thursday posted quarterly profits as the pair try to put years of losses behind them, but analysts warned that the firms still had work to do in overhauling their bloated businesses.

Japan’s electronics sector has been battered by fierce competition from lower-cost rivals, a shrinking domestic market and huge losses in the television business.

A sharp drop in the yen since late 2012 has offered a lifeline by inflating the value of profits repatriated from overseas, as Sony, Panasonic and smaller rival Sharp launched painful restructuring to slim down their vast operations. Sharp reports earnings on Friday.

But the impact of the weak yen is fading, and the industry giants had more work to do on reinventing themselves, analysts said.

“Japanese electronics makers can’t expect much from the impact of a weak yen this fiscal year,” said Yasuo Imanaka, an analyst at Rakuten Securities.

“Sony is now heavily relying on its entertainment, music and insurance businesses.

“They have to speed up the pace of their restructuring, which is crucial for survival. Otherwise, investors are going to lose patience.”

On Thursday, Sony posted a surprise 26.8 billion yen ($261 million) net profit for the three months through June, reversing a year-earlier loss, with sales up about six percent as gamers flocked to the newest instalment of its PlayStation games console.

The consumer electronics giant also said box-office hits, including “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”, boosted results at its movie unit, which includes a Hollywood studio.

Sony more than doubled operating profit in its television segment thanks to strong sales of flat-screen televisions in Asia and Europe.

- Decade of television losses -

Sony, which has been working to repair its television business for years, is still expecting a loss in the current fiscal year.

The firm lost $1.26 billion last year, as it blamed the whopping shortfall on costs tied to its exit from the personal computer business.

“The chances are growing that we’ll return to profitability in the television sector,” Sony Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida said Thursday.

“We’ve got to achieve that goal no matter what—we’ve suffered a decade of losses” in that business, he added.

Panasonic, meanwhile, said its net profit for the quarter hit 37.93 billion yen, down from 107.83 billion yen last year when it logged a big one-off gain from a pension scheme change, as sales edged up 1.5 percent.

The firm said it expects to log a 140 billion yen net profit in the current fiscal year.

Compared with its rivals, Panasonic appeared to be making more headway in shaking up its business and staying out of the red, said Keita Wakabayashi, analyst with Mito Securities in Tokyo.

“Panasonic is more stable than its competition and it now seems to be on course for a steady recovery,” Wakabayashi added.

Panasonic separately announced Thursday it has signed a deal with US electric car maker Tesla to build a huge battery-making plant in the United States.

The Japanese firm, a major producer of lithium ion batteries, did not say how much it would invest in the proposed site, known as the Gigafactory, but local media has previously reported it would pump in as much as 30 billion yen.

Also Thursday, Finnish mobile giant Nokia said it had agreed to buy some of Panasonic’s wireless network business, but did not supply details on the price tag.

Japan electronics giants on profit path ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

I voted for Sony, for Japan brand ... voted for high quality, high creativeness

I just have a question which kind of bugs me. While I like anime and stuff, why is that some Japanese manga creators makes cuteness about stuff, specifically the Kantai collection (schoolgirls as WW2 warships), Girls Und Panzer (school girls operating WW2 tanks), Strike Witches (teenage girls in underwear with airplane propellers over their legs) and specially, Axis Powers Hetalia.

It kinda disturbs me as these trend trivializes some issues about history, especially Axis Powers Hetalia. Can't say about the other pop-culture of Japan though like the female idol groups and the Japanese game show stuff.

Last edited:
I just have a question which kind of bugs me. While I like anime and stuff, why is that some Japanese manga creators makes cuteness about stuff, specifically the Kantai collection (schoolgirls as WW2 warships), Girls Und Panzer (school girls operating WW2 tanks), Strike Witches (teenage girls in underwear with airplane propellers over their legs) and specially, Axis Powers Hetalia.

It kinda disturbs me as these trend trivializes some issues about history, especially Axis Powers Hetalia. Can't say about the other pop-culture of Japan though like the female idol groups and the Japanese game show stuff.

Japanese young kids / young generation like cute things. Its' always fascinated me. When i was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, this was not so. In Japan , there are so many eclectic tastes. My youngest brother watches hetalia, and all the animes nowadays, but at the same time he is a black belt in Karate, an expert in Kendo, and listens to heavy metal music. Very eclectic tastes we have, i guess. lol.

Japanese Economy On Path To Achieve 2 Percent Price Target - BoJ's Kuroda

Positive turnaround in the three areas of financial conditions, expectations and economic activity brought about by the introduction of quantitative and qualitative easing has positioned the Japanese economy on track to achieve the 2 percent price stability target, as expected, Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda said in his speech on Friday.

Talking about the current domestic situation, Kuroda said that the economy has been recovering moderately as a trend despite the softness induced by the consumption tax hike. The Governor expressed confidence that the economy would grow at a pace above its potential over the coming three years.

Further, the improvement in employment and income situation can help in overcoming the effects of the consumption tax on consumer spending, he added.

Also, favorable developments in the corporate sector have become more pronounced in recent times, he said. This will help in Japan's economic recovery.

On the developments in trade, "Japan's exports are likely to increase moderately due mainly to this recovery in overseas economies" he said.

"With the economy expected to continue growing at a pace above its potential, that is, with growth in demand exceeding growth in supply capacity, the positive output gap is likely to expand gradually. Therefore, inflationary pressure from the output gap is likely to steadily increase.", he added.

"By achieving the price stability target of 2 percent at the earliest possible time, the Bank is seeking to create an environment in which firms and households can get on with their economic activities. " he said.

He concluded his speech hoping that Japan's economy will regain its vitality and start to grow strongly again.

Reference: RTT NEWS

JAPAN SIGNS DEAL TO STRENGTHEN ECONOMIC TIES WITH BRAZIL, LATIN AMERICA

MOSCOW (August 4) RIA Novosti- Japan on Saturday signed deals on topics, ranging from energy to food and health care, during Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s visit to Brazil as a part of his nine-day tour to Latin America, Bloomberg reported on Monday.

“Latin America has a large presence on the international stage and is an indispensable partner, in my vision of diplomacy,” Abe said in his speech during the Japan-Brazil Economic Forum last Saturday.

The relationship between Japan and Brazil dates back to the 1950’s, when Japan helped Brazil to establish various industries, such as iron ore production. Brazil also hosts to the largest Japanese community outside of Japan. Currently, China is Brazil’s largest trading partner, with Chinese President Xi Jingpin preceding Abe’s visit to Brazil.

The Japanese prime minister’s nine-day tour included Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago, Colombia and Chile before heading to Latin’s America’s largest economy, Brazil.

In Mexico Abe concluded energy deals, including one between state oil firm Pemex and Japan’s development bank, and another between Pemex and the Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation.

Last Thursday Abe signed in Chile a series of agreements in the areas, ranging from mining to minimizing damage from earthquakes.

Brazil was the highlight of the tour, with top representatives from Toyota Motor Corp., Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp. and Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc. accompanying the prime minister.

Despite a slowdown in the economy, economic surveyes of Bloomberg have forecast the South American nation’s gross domestic product to grow 1.3 percent this year after an expansion of 2.5 percent in 2013. Japan’s economy is expected to grow 1.5 percent this year.

http://en.ria.ru/world/20140804/191...-Economic-Ties-with-Brazil-Latin-America.html
Japan Signs Deals to Strengthen Economic Ties with Brazil, Latin America | World | RIA Novosti

Japanese young kids / young generation like cute things. Its' always fascinated me. When i was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s, this was not so. In Japan , there are so many eclectic tastes. My youngest brother watches hetalia, and all the animes nowadays, but at the same time he is a black belt in Karate, an expert in Kendo, and listens to heavy metal music. Very eclectic tastes we have, i guess. lol.

Honestly, I am disappointed about recent Japanese anime adaptions. Even though the animation quality has improve drastically compare to anime from the 90s, many new anime seem to have gravitated toward viewers who appreciate cuteness,fan-service scenes and it also suffer other severe problems: generic plot, pacing is off, no character development,... I'm kind of disturbed by these lacklustre anime keep coming out every season. It's seem like Japanese companies do not intend to sell these anime to broader audience but instead try to squeeze profits from a very small "otaku" population who obsessed with cute character and willing to spend ridiculous amount of money to buy it.

Honestly, I am disappointed about recent Japanese anime adaptions. Even though the animation quality has improve drastically compare to anime from the 90s, many new anime seem to have gravitated toward viewers who appreciate cuteness,fan-service scenes and it also suffer other severe problems: generic plot, pacing is off, no character development,... I'm kind of disturbed by these lacklustre anime keep coming out every season. It's seem like Japanese companies do not intend to sell these anime to broader audience but instead try to squeeze profits from a very small "otaku" population who obsessed with cute character and willing to spend ridiculous amount of money to buy it.
Well there is also these merchandize relating anime shows and characters - one such is my avatar.

Well there is also these merchandize relating anime shows and characters - one such is my avatar.

What is your avatar character name?

Japan entertainment industry especially manga, anime, game are losing money due to online piracy

Back
Top Bottom