What's new

Janjua : A brief history

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
I am sharing inputs on a subject I follow - the origins & antecedents of various races of the Indian Sub Continent. If received favourably I could share details of other communities too.

Janjua Rajputs

The Janjua Rajputs are a prominent tribe of Punjab (both Pakistani and Indian Punjab). They have a history that spans centuries through various notable rulers, tribal chiefs, princes and kings since the time of the Mahabharat to the present age.

According to their traditions, the Janjua claim descent from the Pandava dynasty through Arjun, the cousin of Krishna.

They were amongst the earliest Rajput converts to Islam and established their own Riyasats (kingdoms) during the 12th century which up until the early 19th century remained in their respective control. Janjuas rebelled against the Delhi Sultanate in the early 13th century and also later aided the Mughal conqueror Babur's route into India with other allied mountain tribes and served in the Mughal army in their conquests of India. Many forts within Pak Punjab are still remnant of their royal past, such as the Kusak fort, Sohava fort, Girjaak fort in Makhiala Jhelum, Malot fort in Chakwal District, Nagi fort, Dalowal fort, Dhandot fort, Kath Saghral and Masral fort, Dhak Janjua fort, Akrand fort and many more. They have played a major part in Punjabi history in their regions through their alliances and rebellions with invaders and other mountainous warrior tribes.

Raja Dhrupet Dev Janjua ruled Mathura state in about 1150AD. Dhrupet Dev was also the ruler of the Mandu fort of the Siwalik hills. He was well known for being a Pandava descendant through Prince Arjun's great grandson Maharaja Janamejaya. Raja Dhrupet's rule of Mathura ended in 1195AD when Qutb-ud-din Aybak, the general of the Ghorid army, attacked Mathura and exiled the ruling royal family. According to Mohyal historians (Gulshan-e-Mohyali) Raja Dhrupet's younger brother Raja Shripat Dev, accompanied the exile back to the Siwalik hills. Shripat Dev later, "established his dominion at Katasraj (old name Namaksar) in Tehsil Pind Dadan Khan, Distt. Jhelum." Now in Pakistan.

Raja Dhrupet Dev was the father of a famous Janjua Chief Raja Ajmal Dev Janjua who embraced Islam in the 12th century and rose to become the next rising force of the Janjua Rajputs . He followed the Islamic tradition of changing his name after conversion but was better known as Raja Mal Khan. He was among the first Muslim Rajputs recorded in Indian history.Raja Mal Khan migrated from Mandu fort in the Siwalik Hills to the Koh-i-Jud and settled at Rajgarh which he later renamed Mal-Kot (Malot).

The expansion of the Sikh empire, spearheaded by Ranjit Singh, was met with a rebellion by the Janjua Sultan of Watli, Sultan Fateh Muhammad Khan. A six-month siege of Kusuk Fort in Watli followed. and this was ended when the inhabitants ran short of water.

By the time the British Raj took an interest in conquering the Sikhs in 1848–49, they were joined by opportunistic tribes such as the Janjua, Gakhars and Awans who had lost control of centuries-old ancestral kingdoms and sought revenge. Tai Yong Tan says that "Besides being impressed with their track record, the British saw in them, with their traditional and historical enmity against the Sikhs, an effective counterpoise against the latter."

During the nineteenth century, the British rulers of India acknowledged the martial potential of the Janjua, designating them as a martial race. Peter Karsten says that they "... were held to be among the best Muslim soldiers, and were also the only really pure Rajputs in the plains of Punjab ... the British preferred their Martial races to be as socially exclusive as they were themselves."

During this period, due to their high aristocratic status, Janjua princes refused to serve in any regiment that was not commanded by either a Janjua or another commander of equal social standing. This preference was honoured by the British when selecting regiments for them.

Some more ..

1. Male population.—Approx 12,000 (census 1931).

2. Locality.—The Janjuas are most numerous in the Pind-Dadun-Khan and Jhelum tahsils of the Jhelum district; there is also a large branch of the tribe in the Kahuta tahsil of Rawalpindi ( now J&K). They are found in small numbers scattered about the Punjab and North-West of Frontier. In the Shahpur district there are two villages owned by a branch of the tribe which appears to be quite distinct from the others.

The tribe is heavily recruited in the army; over twenty Infantry and several Cavalry Regiments enlist them.

3. Chief families.— The Darapur family is, perhaps, the best known, it has given many Officers to the Army: In Chakri Malot, Saloi, Walwal and Wahali, all of which are in the Jhelum district, good representatives of the Janjuas are to be found. In Kahuta is the Mator family, and in Shahpur one of good status in Khutta Sagral.

4. History and particulars. The Janjuas are said to be of Rajput descent. According to Mr. Thomson:—"At some uncertain period, some clans of Rahthor Rajputs emigrating from Jodhpur, occupied the uplands of the Salt Range. The leader of this movement, according to common account, was Raja Mai. The Rajputs first seated themselves at Malot in the west Salt Range. If Babar be read with attention it will be seen that he represents the Janjuas as confined to the hills, and ruling over various subject tribes, who cultivated the plains.

The Janjuas were long the predominant race in the centre and west of the district (Jhelum). When Sultan Mahmud of Ghazni invaded India the Janjuas opposed him, were defeated, and fled to the jungles. Mahmud followed them up and succeeded in capturing Raja Mal himself.

The Raja was released on condition that he and his tribe should embrace Islam. When the conversion took place the 'janju' or caste thread was broken, and the neophytes have been called Janjuas ever since."

It is impossible that the Raja Mal who led the tribe from Jodhpur to the Salt Range, was the same person who was captured by Mahmud. The first event must have preceded the second by some centuries, and another account which relates that Jaipal, who opposed Mahmud at Nandana 900 years ago, is their ancestor, is probably more correct. "Raja Mal is a little mythical and any action of doubtful origin is apt to be fathered upon him."
The tribe was well established between Nilab and Bhera when Babar visited the country. They were the natural enemies of the Gakkhars from time immemorial.

Raja Mal had six sons: —
Raja Wir and Jodh, whose descendants are found in the Jhelum district. Those of Jodh being also found in the Kharian tahsil of Gujrat.

Kakha—whose descendants are found in Poonch and Kashmir, and are known as Kakkhe.

Tarnoli— from whom spring the Tanaolis of Hazara (the Tanaolis do not agree to this and claim Moghal origin).

Dabuchara —descendants found in Hazara (and known as Janjuas) and also in Sialkot.

Pir Kala— the Kahrwal and Dallal Janjuas of the Kahro ilaqua of Rawalpindi (Kahuta tahsil) are the descendants of this son.

With (he exception of the descendants of Wir and Jodh the others are now distinct tribes, having nothing in common and not even inter-marrying. The Janjuas of the Salt Range are the most aristocratic and make the best soldiers.

The Janjuas were, at the time of Babar's visit (1526 AD.) the predominant race in the Salt Range. They subsequently became divided, lost their strength in combination, and the Awans and Gakkhars were able to contend successfully against them and wrest much of their power and territory from them. When the Sikh power arose, the Janjuas like the Gakkhars and Awans, came under their rule, not however, without much stubborn resistance. They held out for many months, in their strongholds at Makhiala and Kusak, but were eventually compelled to capitulate from the want of water.

Ranjit Singh himself is said to have undertaken the siege operations against Kusal. The Sikhs took over the salt mines at Khewra which had been their most valued possession.

The Janjuas rank second only to the Gakkhars in the Jhelum and Rawalpindi districts. Their headmen are known as Sultan and the second son as Malik. In the Jhelum district the tribe is invariably known as "raja," the word Janjua hardly ever being heard.

Their observances at various ceremonials are much the same as those of the Chibs.

The Janjuas are said to be the only really pure Rajputs in the plains of the Punjab. They have great pride of race (as being Janjuas) and make fine soldiers,most suitable for cavalry, as they are of light build.

I am sharing inputs on a subject I follow - the origins & antecedents of various races of the Indian Sub Continent. If received favourably I could share details of other communities too.

Janjua Rajputs

The Janjua Rajputs are a prominent tribe of Punjab (both Pakistani and Indian Punjab). They have a history that spans centuries through various notable rulers, tribal chiefs, princes and kings since the time of the Mahabharat to the present age.

According to their traditions, the Janjua claim descent from the Pandava dynasty through Arjun, the cousin of Krishna.

They were amongst the earliest Rajput converts to Islam and established their own Riyasats (kingdoms) during the 12th century which up until the early 19th century remained in their respective control. Janjuas rebelled against the Delhi Sultanate in the early 13th century and also later aided the Mughal conqueror Babur's route into India with other allied mountain tribes and served in the Mughal army in their conquests of India. Many forts within Pak Punjab are still remnant of their royal past, such as the Kusak fort, Sohava fort, Girjaak fort in Makhiala Jhelum, Malot fort in Chakwal District, Nagi fort, Dalowal fort, Dhandot fort, Kath Saghral and Masral fort, Dhak Janjua fort, Akrand fort and many more. They have played a major part in Punjabi history in their regions through their alliances and rebellions with invaders and other mountainous warrior tribes.

Raja Dhrupet Dev Janjua ruled Mathura state in about 1150AD. Dhrupet Dev was also the ruler of the Mandu fort of the Siwalik hills. He was well known for being a Pandava descendant through Prince Arjun's great grandson Maharaja Janamejaya. Raja Dhrupet's rule of Mathura ended in 1195AD when Qutb-ud-din Aybak, the general of the Ghorid army, attacked Mathura and exiled the ruling royal family. According to Mohyal historians (Gulshan-e-Mohyali) Raja Dhrupet's younger brother Raja Shripat Dev, accompanied the exile back to the Siwalik hills. Shripat Dev later, "established his dominion at Katasraj (old name Namaksar) in Tehsil Pind Dadan Khan, Distt. Jhelum." Now in Pakistan.

Raja Dhrupet Dev was the father of a famous Janjua Chief Raja Ajmal Dev Janjua who embraced Islam in the 12th century and rose to become the next rising force of the Janjua Rajputs . He followed the Islamic tradition of changing his name after conversion but was better known as Raja Mal Khan. He was among the first Muslim Rajputs recorded in Indian history.Raja Mal Khan migrated from Mandu fort in the Siwalik Hills to the Koh-i-Jud and settled at Rajgarh which he later renamed Mal-Kot (Malot).

The expansion of the Sikh empire, spearheaded by Ranjit Singh, was met with a rebellion by the Janjua Sultan of Watli, Sultan Fateh Muhammad Khan. A six-month siege of Kusuk Fort in Watli followed. and this was ended when the inhabitants ran short of water.

By the time the British Raj took an interest in conquering the Sikhs in 1848–49, they were joined by opportunistic tribes such as the Janjua, Gakhars and Awans who had lost control of centuries-old ancestral kingdoms and sought revenge. Tai Yong Tan says that "Besides being impressed with their track record, the British saw in them, with their traditional and historical enmity against the Sikhs, an effective counterpoise against the latter."

During the nineteenth century, the British rulers of India acknowledged the martial potential of the Janjua, designating them as a martial race. Peter Karsten says that they "... were held to be among the best Muslim soldiers, and were also the only really pure Rajputs in the plains of Punjab ... the British preferred their Martial races to be as socially exclusive as they were themselves."

During this period, due to their high aristocratic status, Janjua princes refused to serve in any regiment that was not commanded by either a Janjua or another commander of equal social standing. This preference was honoured by the British when selecting regiments for them.
dear Sir,
many thanks for putting personal efforts in compiling this information

we learn something new and today its me. this is new to me that Rajputs are not just Rajas as I know. my knowledge is limited to Pakistan confines of course and for me Bajwa is a Jaat for example. I initially misread Janjua as Bajwa

I thought Rajputs were only Gakhar Rajputs only other name being Kyanis . former Pak Army Gen Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani was a Gakhar Rajput. And a chief from late 90s who died while in service was Asif Nawaz Janjua (with fair complexion)
many thanks

corrected the typo

Last edited:
dear Sir,

we learn something new and today its me. this is new to me that Rajputs are not just Rajas as I know. my knowledge is limited to Pakistan confines of course and for me Bajwa is a Jaat for example. I initially misread Janjua as Bajwa

I thought Rajputs were only Gakhar Rajputs only other name being Kyanis . former Pak Army Gen Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani was a Gakhar Rajput. And a chief from late 90s who died while in service was Asif Nawaz Bajwa (with fair complexion)
many thanks

You puzzle me. Bajwas are Jats, in Hindustan.

Asif Nawaz Bajwa (with fair complexion)
If i am not wrong he was Janjua.

Yes Jats,Jut and Jatt is same.

dear Sir,

I thought Rajputs were only Gakhar Rajputs only other name being Kyanis . former Pak Army Gen Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani was a Gakhar Rajput. And a chief from late 90s who died while in service was Asif Nawaz Bajwa (with fair complexion)
many thanks
That all is very complex,tribe,subtribe,family,sub-family and local branches.

many thanks
I haven't read anywhere else that Gakhars are Rajputs. I have researched quite a bit about it as I myself am a Gakhar. Also some Gakhars claim about their Iranian origin hence call themselves Kayani/Kiyani/Kiani. But my research should that it's highly unlikely. Most historian call Gakhars and fiercely independent and warlike clan spread across Pothohar (maily), Hazara (mainly Khanpur) and some parts of Kashmir.
Anyways things are so meshed up that only thing that's left between difference casts of Pak and India is hate. I have nothing in our lives except hate and kill each other across the border.

dear Sir,

I thought Rajputs were only Gakhar Rajputs only other name being Kyanis . former Pak Army Gen Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani was a Gakhar Rajput. And a chief from late 90s who died while in service was Asif Nawaz Janjua (with fair complexion)
many thanks

corrected the typo
Thank you for your post , since this is a subject close to my heart I keep picking up whatever I can from wherever

.. and what’s worth knowing is worth sharing

I am also Janjua Rajput from matore/Kahuta claim descent from famous worrior Sultan Ahmed Janjua also known by his pre-Islamic name of Raja Kala.He conquered the region with the aid of his brothers Raja Jodh, Raja Bhir, Raja Khakha and Raja Tanwal (also known as Tanwali/Tanoli) in what was the campaign of conquest by the rising Janjua overlord, Raja Mal of the Janjua Rajput clan, in the early 13th century.

Raja Kala( son of Raja Mal) is known by his descendants by the warm title of Dada Pir Kala (the saintly father Kala), and his tomb is located there on a hill.

Raja Mal, the father of all modern Muslim Janjua was a brave and powerful ruler. He embraced Islam at a very early age and consolidated his kingdom very powerfully indeed. Infact the salt ranges were controlled by him and his progeny up until modern day, save some interruptions from Mughals and the British Raj.

Janjua Rajput and Gakhars are two different clans who fought over the control of salt range photohar region

Notable Janjuas

1)Sawar Muhammad Hussain Shaheed( Nishan a haider) from Janjua family from DHOK pir Baksh

2) General Asif Nawaz Janjua of Chakri Rajgan received Sitara-e-Basalat (Bar), Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military) and the Nishan-e-Imtiaz (Military) honours

3) Naik Saif ali Janjua received Hialal e Kahsmir which is equal to Nishan e haider

4) Lieutenant General Afzal Mehdi Khan Janjua was honored the Sitara-e-Jurat (Star of Courage) in 1971 Indo-Pak War

5) Raja Shah Nawaz Khan (Matore, January 1914) was a freedom fighter and Major General for the Indian National Army and a close aide of Subhash Chandra Bose. He was famously tried by the British Raj in the Red Fort Trial in 1945 represented by Jawaharlal Nehru himself. After the partition of India and Pakistan, Raja Shah Nawaz Khan stayed in India. He chaired the enquiry into the death of Subhash Chandra Bose in 1956, and later became an Indian Government Central Minister

6)Major General Iftikhar Khan Janjua of the Jhelum Janjuas, called The Hero of Rann of Kutch after his death in the 1971 India-Pakistan war. The Iftikhar Khan Janjua Road in Rawalpindi is named after him.

7) Major General Zaheer-ul-Islam - DG ISI (2012 to present ) from Matore, Tehsil Kahuta, District Rawalpindi.

8) Amir Khan boxer from matore

Last edited:

A few words on Bajwas

Bajwa, a Jat clan (agricultural) found in Sialkot, Amritsar and Multan, and as a Hindu Jat clan in Montgomery. The Jats are of the same kin as the Bajju Rajputs.

The Bajwa Jats and Bajju Rajputs have given their name to the Bajwat or country at the foot of the Jammu hills in the Sialkot District.

They say that they are Solar Rajputs and that their ancestor Raja Shalip was driven out of Multan in the time of Sikandar Lodi. His two sons Kals and Lis escaped in the disguise of falconers. Lis went to Jammu and there married a Katil Rajput bride, while Kas married a Jat girl in Pasrur. Their descendants of both live in the Bajwat, but are said to be distinguished as Bajju Rajputs and Bajwa Jats .

The ‘jathera’ of the Bajwa is Baba Manga, and he is revered at weddings, at which the rites of ‘jandian’ and ‘chhatra’ are also observed,

Another story has it that their ancestor Rai Jaisan was driven from Delhi by Rai Pitora and setted at Karbala in Siaikot.

Yet another tale is that Naru, Raja of Jammu, gave him 84 villages in ‘ Ikaqa’ Ghol for killing Mir Jagwa, a mighty Pathan. The Bajju Rajputs admit their relationship with the Bajwa Jats.

Kals had ason, Dawa, whose son Dewa had three sons, Muda, Wasr, and Nana surnamed Chachrah. Nana’s children having all died, he was told by an astrologer that only those born under a chachri tree would live.His advice was taken and Nana’s next son founded the Chachrah sept,chiefly found near Narowal.

The Bajju Rajputs have the custom of chundavand and are said to many their daughters to Chibh Bhau and Manhas Rajputs. The Bajju Rajputs are said to have had till quite lately a custom by which a Mussulman girl could he turned into a Hindu for purposes of marriage, by temporarily burying her in an underground chamber and ploughing the earth over her head. In the betrothals of this tribe dates are used, a custom perhaps brought with them from Multan, and they have several other singular customs resembling those of the Sahi Jats

They are almost confined to Sialkot , though they have spread in small numbers eastwards as far as Patiala.

Jan JPEG.jpg

quality thread..havenot much to contribute so will read

The great debate is that whether the Hindu Shahis (850 AD to 1001 AD) were Janjua Rajputs or Mohyal Brahmans..My money is on the latter ...Before Hindu Shahis Kabhul was ruled by Turks who had converted to Hinduism a few hundred years earlier (all these happened post collapse of Gupta)

Back
Top Bottom