What's new

It's official: Apple will make iPhones in India at Bengaluru facility

Bad Guy

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
http://m.timesofindia.com/business/...t-bengaluru-facility/articleshow/56944302.cms
It's official: Apple will make iPhones in India at Bengaluru facility
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Apple will assemble iPhones at a facility near Bengaluru
  • No timeline has been provided, but production is expected to begin in June
BENGALURU: It's official. Apple will soon have `Made in India' iPhones, and they will come out of a factory in Bengaluru. The Karnataka government on Thursday issued a release welcoming Apple's proposal "to commence initial manufacturing operations" in the state. TOI was the first to report, in December that Apple had finalized Bengaluru as the assembling location, but officials in neither Apple nor the government were then willing to confirm the development.

The release, signed by state IT minister Priyank Kharge, said Apple's intentions to manufacture in Bengaluru "will foster cutting edge technology ecosystem and supply chain development in the state, which are critical for India to compete globally." Though it did not provide a timeline, production is expected to begin in June.

Other feat this year or following year will be mass production of semiconductor chips in fabs.;)

Before all of that, le'me tell everyone that it was a myth that India doesn't produce semiconductor chips. We make plenty for space research & defence PSUs.

All I know that 10nm chips are needed for modern smartphones and half of it's market worldwide is controlled by Taiwan (ROC), ya China also doesn't manufacture phones, just assemble like us but at a larger scale.

Last edited:
not gonna happen or at least in near future
Plant is in final stages of construction.
Could you please provide translation and direct links?
At least in my knowledge, China's best semiconductor production facility is @28 nm which is outdated for modern smartphones (not boasting, India isn't very good at 180nm but matter of fact).

One thing I could brag that India rarely got any semiconductor tech from western OEMs given sanctions and carried out own research program for 2 decades.

Now, sanctions are completely gone and OEMs are coming to India.
Adding, China mostly has plants for mass production for 300nm chips.

If you are using "will" TSMC from Taiwan "will" set up plants for 10-16 nm.

I won't be surprised if Huawei will be manufacturing most equipment except chips but not chips. Not @ all for Xiaomi.

Make sure they don't shift to India too :lol:

We have nothing to loose, everything to gain.
These are China's semiconductor companies, they will not be transferred to India, but some of our mobile phone assembly plant has been transferred to India
:-):-)

@proud_indian
Guess that I've posted and running a thread about Indian Semiconductor Industry on Indian Defence Forum. Stay tuned for update.

Could you please provide translation and direct links?
At least in my knowledge, China's best semiconductor production facility is @28 nm which is outdated for modern smartphones (not boasting, India isn't very good at 180nm but matter of fact).

One thing I could brag that India rarely got any semiconductor tech from western OEMs given sanctions and carried out own research program for 2 decades.

Now, sanctions are completely gone and OEMs are coming to India.
Adding, China mostly has plants for mass production for 300nm chips.

If you are using "will" TSMC from Taiwan "will" set up plants for 10-16 nm.

I won't be surprised if Huawei will be manufacturing most equipment except chips but not chips. Not @ all for Xiaomi.
At least we can make it, you can't do it
:-)

At least we can make it, you can't do it
:-)
Who told you we can't make it? We have been doing for research purpose since long. Just missed mass production.
I can put sources and multimedia about that if you want.

Question is, will it reduce its price in South Asia & ME??
Off course it will, Indian labour and facilities are even cheaper.
Remember India used to imprort Chinese LEDs (interestingly still costly for us).
And since, domestic manufacturers started making them, we get them at dirt cheap prices.

As far as I know there were two offers to construct FABs, one in gujrat and the other in noida

they were supposed to secure seed money for these fabs but they haven't and one of the constronium has given up.

Can you please give me any link to support your claims.

regards

Here must be the other way to understand which's obvious.

Apple shifted it's assembly from US to China cuz majority of US most who could afford iPhones have them.
And now in China even, 90% Chinese citizens capable and willing to buy such phones have them. Third market to satisfy will obviously be India. India has plus point cuz it's middle class too is growing faster. It could stay long in India so.

Back
Top Bottom