What's new

It's GE F-414 for LCA Mk-II; EJ-200 loses the race in photo finish

TO be HONEST AM NOT FEELING WELL AFTER HEARING THIS NEWS that GE WON AND EJ lost .DAMN !MAN they are the best thrust:weight ratio with no strings attach. AND I FULLY AGREE WITH OUR PAKISTANI BRO STEALTH THAT NO1 is IMMUNE to SANCTION..THIS IS END OF ROAD FOR TEJAS AND FOR IAF ...:angry::argh::cry:

Any body shed some light on supercruise ... since the engine is going to be more powerful and tejas already has a mach 2+speed and the already existing gripen, does supercruise.

Regardless of how much thrust GE414 brings -- i dont believe Tejas will be able to supercruise. Thrust provided by 414 will only meet the criteria of twr 1.00 ...for supercruise LCA should actually look to see how to reduce LCA weight further..I dont believe supercruise is even an objective for MK2.

I dont think guys at MoD and DRDO are that plain stupid.. all these factors might have been through their discussion board several times.
There maybe factors which are unknown to us. And this fear or further sanctions are BS. we are not gonna test another set of nukes anymore.

It would be a great start of a relationship and its heartening to see the fact that we get the best from both Russia and US (which is unimaginable for most others we know.)

True -- although 414 might not be pleasing to everyone -- i still feel that it will not be the governing factor in mrca decision. Decision is a big blow to EF (and virtually rules it out -- best thing to happen IMO).. however SH and Rafale is still in the fray with gripen very close too. Lets hope sense prevails -- i did hate to see SH win MRCA...but somewhere practically it looks like SH as a choice also makes sense.

Regardless of how much thrust GE414 brings -- i dont believe Tejas will be able to supercruise. Thrust provided by 414 will only meet the criteria of twr 1.00 ...for supercruise LCA should actually look to see how to reduce LCA weight further..I dont believe supercruise is even an objective for MK2.

I am unable to understand this post. I have read some where that LCA is already the lightest aircraft in the world, what with extensive use of composites and the material etc. So if the GE F-414 provides the same thrust then it should be able to supercruise right??

I dont think guys at MoD and DRDO are that plain stupid.. all these factors might have been through their discussion board several times.
There maybe factors which are unknown to us. And this fear or further sanctions are BS. we are not gonna test another set of nukes anymore.

It would be a great start of a relationship and its heartening to see the fact that we get the best from both Russia and US (which is unimaginable for most others we know.)

Sirjee i am not talking about reliability or availability of the US hardware... all i am trying to highlight is US was and is responsible for the state which LCA has gone through... we had run into huge problems.. Oke lets keep the story after sanction... what has US done for the consultation?? they were not ready to help for Tejas on consultancy why do they stand first on selling??

Atleast considering the last line DRDO should have rejected the GE... because Europeans where there at our door step when we just asked them...

It is not me alone who is not happy with the decision lot of people are... if we take 100 people who follow defence 90 will not be happy... You can see the reaction here first.. If have time go to BR and see... they are more hatred than me...

Last edited:

There are more requirements needed for Supercruise than thrust and weight, because the basic specs are even better than at Gripen NG (empty weight 7.1t, LCA emptyweight at the moment 5.6t and even with new engine, AESA and other changes, it will weigh less than the Gripen). I guess in LCAs case the airflow and a redesign for the intakes are important and necessarry to achieve that capability.

True -- although 414 might not be pleasing to everyone -- i still feel that it will not be the governing factor in mrca decision. Decision is a big blow to EF (and virtually rules it out -- best thing to happen IMO).. however SH and Rafale is still in the fray with gripen very close too. Lets hope sense prevails -- i did hate to see SH win MRCA...but somewhere practically it looks like SH as a choice also makes sense.

SH though looks good... it will become a sitting duck if india does not listen to US in future.. If SH wins you can surely say India has become another state of US for sure... Instead of SH we can buy Migs and be safe... It is better we go with Russia who are with us from day one than to go with US because each president have different policy towards us...

Get ready for F 18's in MMRCA if the above is true.. If that happens I win 27 separate bets totalling upto $1.2 K

YAY....

It had to win. I had mentioned it some thread (this post) that this engine is best suited for LCA. Very little work needs to be done to the LCA airframe to accommodate this engine as opposed to the EJ2000.

Good choice, IMHO.

ps: Do I get a share of the winnings ;)

It had to win. I had mentioned it some thread (this post) that this engine is best suited for LCA. Very little work needs to be done to the LCA airframe to accommodate this engine as opposed to the EJ2000.

Good choice, IMHO.

ps: Do I get a share of the winnings ;)

Deal.. Next time I am in US (probably December), we go partying...;)

One more point.. I sometimes feel a lot of us suffer from a Americano-phobia, primarily driven by the state of Pakistan. IMHO, its ridiculous.. There is no similarities between the 2 relationships. We have enough dough to go out and seek alternate arrangements if tomorrow USA puts some sanctions on us (though I dont know why that would happen). An allied relationship is subservient only if one of the 2 doesnt have any other options. Doesnt apply here..

One more point.. I sometimes feel a lot of us suffer from a Americano-phobia, primarily driven by the state of Pakistan. IMHO, its ridiculous.. There is no similarities between the 2 relationships. We have enough dough to go out and seek alternate arrangements if tomorrow USA puts some sanctions on us (though I dont know why that would happen). An allied relationship is subservient only if one of the 2 doesnt have any other options. Doesnt apply here..

i am sorry sirjee to disappoint you... you are still drinking US liquor i guess thats why your brain has become mapped to understand the original realities.. please try to drink liquor which has been manufactured locally it will give you some insight....

No one is suffering from US phobia... if you have time please read the Tejas LCA development life cycle.. please see the US roles.. please read all the news till date including consultancy which was asked recently.... ask yourself the question has all our companies have come out of sanction till now?????????????????? you know we have a good economy right this minute.... where will you hide your face now when you answer these questions?? (even you report this post and ban me it is fine when i speak the reality)

All America did was sucked our talents (NRI) Non returning Indians by showing the greediness of $... it tried to kill all our local developments... etc etc...

You can say we suffer from american phobia... It is it which created it we havent developed it on our own...

As far as US considered i am not anti US... all i say we should not put expensive life or death deals with them... it is oke to buy radars, transports crafts, etc etc.. because $10 billion is not small amount it is a huge investment... and this engine deal has got lot of stake on our indigenous effort of Tejas which we cant push it to garbage...

As far as highlighted part it shows your knowledge on economics.. Forget about billion $ lets talk about million $... we cant waste million $ just like that ... it is not like throwing a phone and buying a new phone because your adapter is not working... million $ is a lot of money..and billion $ is much more... lot of our companies in india are million $ companies except a few.... if $10 billion is less US companies will not damn to join the MMRCA... it is a lot for them... dont argue stupidly saying we have alternatives we have money.. buddy money doesnt grow in tree.. it is hard earned... as far as alternatives are concerned we have to spend other resources apart from money resource.... especially time..

Last edited:
Trying get my head round wat this decision means to go with American engine.

Intially really gutted India did not pik the euro fighter engine its virtually brand new technology with good TOT on offer at least 50% i think.

Also EADS could have played a big part in getting MK2 unto FOC.

COST WISE TOO THE EURO ENGINE WAS 20% cheaper

Why GE American engine its after all not new technology nut old improved power tech bt very reliable imust say.

Advantages
Tejasmk1 already using GE engine 404 SO IT MAKES LOGIC sense to go to bigger bros GE414 for mk2
Indians now used to working with GE engines
Better power and thrust than Euro engine
long history and very reliable since its American tech....
Good POWER for other single engined fighter like Gripen means ditto for Tejas MK2

Disadvantages
Sanctions threat exists
Older tech during war
No TOT
MORE COST
F18 S/H could now win MMRCA
usa political puppy fear for indians

a bit disappointed really

Back
Top Bottom