Reaction score
Country
Turkey
SIEGE OF KUT- UL AMARE

kutulamare_302.jpg

Siege of Kut

Part of the Mesopotamian Campaign of World War I

ka.PNG

The Siege of Kut Al Amara (7 December 1915 – 29 April 1916), also known as the First Battle of Kut, was the besieging of an 8,000 strong British-Indian garrison in the town of Kut, 100 miles south of Baghdad, by the Ottoman Army. In 1915, its population was around 6,500. Following the surrender of the garrison on 29 April 1916, the survivors of the siege were marched to imprisonment at Aleppo.

Prelude

Situation at Kut on 28 September 1915.

The 6th (Poona) Division of the Indian Army, under Major-General Charles Townshend, had fallen back to the town of Kut after retreating from Ctesiphon. The British Empire forces arrived at Kut around 3 December 1915. They had suffered significant losses and were down to around 11,000 soldiers (plus cavalry). General Townshend chose to stay and hold the position at Kut instead of continuing the march downriver towards Basra. Kut offered a good defensive position because it was contained within a long loop of the river. The problem was how to get supplies, since Kut was a long way from Basra.

The siege
The pursuing Ottoman forces arrived on 7 December 1915. Once it became clear the Ottomans had enough forces to lay siege to Kut, Townshend ordered his cavalry to escape south, which it did, led by Lieut. Colonel Gerard Leachman DSO. The Ottoman forces numbered around 11,000 men and increasing steadily with additional reinforcements arriving constantly, were commanded by the respected but elderly German general and military historian Baron von der Goltz. Goltz knew the Ottoman army well, as he had spent 12 years working on modernizing the Ottoman army from 1883 to 1895. After three attacks in December, Goltz directed the building of siege fortifications facing Kut. He prepared for an attack from Basra, using the Tigris River, by building defensive positions further down the river designed to cut off a river-borne relief.

After a month of siege, Townshend wanted to break out and withdraw southwards but his commander, General Sir John Nixonsaw value in tying down the Ottoman forces in a siege. Nixon ordered transports from London, but none had arrived. The War Office was in the process of reorganizing military command; previously the orders had come from the Viceroy and India Office.

However, when Townshend—inaccurately—reported that only one month of food remained, a rescue force was hastily raised. It is not clear why Townshend reported he only had enough food for one month when he actually had food for more than four months (although at a reduced level), but Townshend would not attempt an infantry retreat unprotected through hostile tribal lands without river transport. Nixon had ordered this with reinforcements, commanded by his son, but by December they were still only in the Suez Canal. The confusing communications would prove a critical delay.

Relief expeditions
The first relief expedition comprised some 19,000 men under Lieutenant-General Aylmer and it headed up the river from Ali Gharbi in January 1916.

Battle of Sheikh Sa'ad
Main article: Battle of Sheikh Sa'ad
The first attempt to relieve Kut (the Battle of Sheikh Sa'ad) came on 6 January. Aylmer's advance force was a division or two, under Major-General George Younghusband. Part of the cause of delay was the debate in Cabinet over whether one division would be an adequate force, or whether two divisions should be sent. Deliberations were painfully slow. The ageing General Maurice insisted on being informed at every turn as the evidence came into the Committee of Imperial Defence; which was further complicated by a restructuring involving the setup of a new sub-committee system and transfer of military responsibilities. At least three urgent memoranda were sent from General Nixon demanding transports to evacuate Townshend's division. By Christmas his health had broken down, and he requested a return to Bombay.

Nixon's replacements with additional staff as a mandatory requirement moved forward from Ali Al Gharbi towards Sheikh Sa'ad along both banks of the Tigris. Younghusband's column made contact with the Ottomans on the morning of 6 January 3.5 miles east of Sheikh Sa'ad. British efforts to defeat the Ottomans were unsuccessful.

The following day, on 7 January, Aylmer arrived with the main body of his forces and ordered a general attack. Younghusband led the attack on the left bank and Major-GeneralKemball took the right. After heavy fighting all day, Kemball's troops had overrun Ottoman trenches on the right bank, taking prisoners and capturing two guns. However, the Ottoman left bank held firm and they carried out supporting maneuvres from the north.

After little change on 8 January, renewed British attacks on 9 January resulted in the Ottomans retiring from Sheikh Sa'ad. Over the following two days the Ottomans were followed by Aylmer's force but heavy rains made the roads virtually impassable.

Battle of Wadi
Main article: Battle of Wadi (1916)
The Ottomans retreated for about ten miles (16 km) from Sheikh Sa'ad to a tributary of the Tigris on the left bank known by the Arabic toponym simply as the Wadi (meaning "the river valley"). The Ottomans made their camp beyond the Wadi and on the other side of the Tigris opposite the Wadi.

On 13 January, Aylmer attacked the Ottoman Wadi position on the left bank with all of his forces. After putting up a stiff resistance the Ottomans retreated five miles (8 km) to the west and they were followed by Aylmer's troops.

Battle of Hanna
Main article: Battle of Hanna
The Ottomans then made their camp upstream of the Wadi at the Hanna defile, a narrow strip of dry land between the Tigris and the Suwaikiya Marshes. British losses at theBattle of Hanna amounted to 2,700 killed and wounded, which was disastrous for the garrison in Kut.

Later efforts
At this point, Khalil Pasha (the Ottoman commander of the whole region) came to the battle, bringing with him a further 20,000 to 30,000 reinforcements.

Following the defeat of Aylmer's expedition, General Nixon was replaced as supreme commander by Percy Lake. More forces were sent to bolster Aylmer's troops. He tried again, attacking the Dujaila redoubt on 8 March. This attack failed, at a cost of 4,000 men. General Aylmer was dismissed and replaced with General George Gorringe on 12 March.

The relief attempt by Gorringe is usually termed the First Battle of Kut. The British Empire's forces numbered about 30,000 soldiers, roughly equal to the Ottomans. The battle began on 5 April and the British soon captured Fallahiyeh, but with heavy losses, Beit Asia was taken on 17 April. The final effort was against Sannaiyat on 22 April. The Allies were unable to take Sannaiyat and suffered some 1,200 casualties in the process.

In April 1916 No. 30 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps carried out the first air supply operation in history. Food and ammunition were dropped to the defenders of Kut, but "as often as not their parcels go into the Tigris or into the Turkish trenches!"

All the relief efforts had failed, at a cost of around 23,000 Allied killed or wounded. Ottoman casualties are believed to have been around 10,000. The Ottomans also lost the aid of Baron von der Goltz. He died on 19 April, supposedly of typhoid. After Goltz's death, no German commander took his place in Mesopotamia for the rest of the war.

Surrender of the British army

An Indian soldier after siege of Kut

British leaders attempted to buy their troops out. Aubrey Herbert and T. E. Lawrence were part of a team of officers sent to negotiate a secret deal with the Ottomans. The British offered £2 million (UK£ 122,300,000 in 2016) and promised they would not fight the Ottomans again, in exchange for Townshend's troops. Enver Pasha ordered that this offer be rejected.

The British also asked for help from the Russians. General Baratov, with his largely Cossack force of 20,000 was in Persia at the time. Following the request he advanced towards Baghdad in April 1916, but he turned back when news reached him of the surrender.

General Townshend arranged a ceasefire on the 26th and, after failed negotiations, he simply surrendered on 29 April 1916 after a siege of 147 days. Around 13,000 Allied soldiers survived to be made prisoners. Historian İlber Ortaylı states that ″Halil Pasha acted like a gentleman to the surrendering British officers″ and offered ″to take the PoWs up towards the north in river boats in case fuel could be provided from British bases nearby.″ The offer was rejected by the British. 70% of the British and 50% of the Indian troops died of disease or at the hands of their Ottoman guards during captivity. Townshend himself was taken to the island of Heybeliada on the Sea of Marmara, to sit out the war in relative luxury. The author Norman Dixon, in his book On the Psychology of Military Incompetence, described Townshend as being 'amused' by the plight of the men he had deserted, as if he had pulled off some clever trick. Dixon says Townshend was unable to understand why his friends and comrades were ultimately censorious over his behaviour.

In British Army battle honours, the siege of Kut is named as "Defence of Kut Al Amara".

Aftermath
James Morris, a British historian, described the loss of Kut as "the most abject capitulation in Britain’s military history." After this humiliating loss, General Lake and General Gorringe were removed from command. The new commander was General Maude, who trained and organized his army and then launched a successful campaign which captured Baghdad on 11 March 1917. With Baghdad captured, the British administration undertook vital reconstruction of the war-torn country and Kut was slowly rebuilt.

Some of the Indian prisoners of war from Kut later came to join the Ottoman Indian Volunteer Corps under the influence of Deobandis of Tehrek e Reshmi Rumal and with theencouragement of the German High Command. These soldiers, along with those recruited from the prisoners from the European Battlefields fought alongside Ottoman forces on a number of fronts. The Indians were led by Amba Prasad Sufi, who during the war was joined by Kedar Nath Sondhi, Rishikesh Letha and Amin Chaudhry. These Indian troops were involved in the capture of the frontier city of Karman and the detention of the British consul there, and they also successfully harassed Sir Percy Sykes' Persian campaign against the Baluchi and Persian tribal chiefs who were aided by the Germans.

Ottomans put up a very good fight during WW1 and only seemed to be held down at the Caucasus; even there - the Ottomans and Kurdish militia managed to halt the Russian advance. But in the end, like always - Ottomans were left alone to take on half of the world and it seemed that this time - unfortunately; it could not prevail.

Even so - the Remnants continued to fight and an army of worn out and poorly equipped Turks managed to defeat the combined forces of Greece, Armenia, British Empire, Italy and Kurdish rebels during the war for independence.

Last edited:
"Speaking at an event in Istanbul commemorating the victory's centenary, Erdoğan hailed historic World War I victory"

Erdoğan hails historic World War I victory

Speaking at the same event, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said that Kut al-Amara was an indelible victory.

13094397_999709983454316_6354119183011690792_n.jpg

Davutoğlu said that the “epic" victory at Kut al-Amara had served as an “elixir of life" at a time of decline and desperation not only for the Turkish nation, but for all other oppressed nations in the region.

Davutoğlu also said that Turks had always obeyed the laws of war, and treated its prisoners in a humane manner.

“It is easy to be polite in times of peace. What is important is to be able to be magnanimous towards those who seek your life in conflict and war zones.

“Today Turkey is treating oppressed people fleeing from war and death in the same manner as it treated prisoners of war -- without discriminating against anyone based on their religion, language, ethnicity, identity, or sect," he said.

This year the victory at Kut al-Amara is being remembered through special events such as an exhibition and a new book with the memoirs of an Ottoman officer.

''James Morris, a British historian, described the loss of Kut as "the most abject capitulation in Britain’s military history." After this humiliating loss, General Lake and General Gorringe were removed from command. 13 British generals, 418 British officers have been prisoned by the Turks and 40 thousands of British soldiers have been killed.''

Historians recall ‘most humiliating’ WWI British defeat

"Friday marks the centenary of one of the most significant British surrenders to Ottoman forces during World War I, which some historians still remember it as the then empire's most humiliating defeat.

Precisely one hundred years ago on April 29, 1916, a British garrison laid down its arms to the Ottoman forces they were fighting in the town of Kut al-Amara in modern-day Iraq.

The city was a key step for a force of 13,000 British troops marching under Major-General Charles Townshend towards Baghdad, a target about 160 kilometers (99.4 miles) northwest along the Tigris River.

They were surrounded by Ottoman forces at Kut and, after a siege lasting around five months, Townshend capitulated.

In the words of Nikolas Gardner, associate professor at the Royal Military College of Canada, it was “the most humiliating surrender of British forces since Cornwallis's surrender at Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War in 1781.”."

Last edited:
Hail to the Mehmetçik, who fought devotedly and heroically at Kut! Hail to their great commanders, those despite their great victories, and despite all the encroachments of the enemy to lands, not lose their respect for the enemy! Their memories will always live and be kept alive. Al Fatiha for their souls!

Whole campaign is one of the events in history that wanted to be forgotten by some, but those, who study this events in detail, will find the enomousy depth war strategies of the Turkish army.

Let's remember the siege of Kut on its anniversary and its consequences:

thumbs_b_c_bce87c5623d0e1c966cd41ef30388b18.jpg

Kut 1916: How the Ottomans defeated the British army

It's been a century since the last victory of the Ottoman Empire in the First World War. On April 29. 1916, Ottoman troops defeated the British army in the city of Kut in Iraq and captured 13,309 British soldiers, including six generals and 476 officers. The triumph of the Ottoman army in Kut came only a few months after its great victory in the Dardanelles in northwestern Turkey. This incident, which went down in history as the last victory of the Ottoman Empire army and a significant defeat on Britain's part, risk being forgotten as time goes by.

Battles from Basra to Kut
The Ottoman Empire joined the First World War on October 29th 1914. It was just two weeks after the Indian Division of the British army had left the port of Bombay, which was then a British colony, for Iraq as part of the "Mesopotamian Campaign". The targets of the British were the oil and gas wells on Basra coast of Iran.

The British landed on the Gulf of Basra on November 3rd 1914 and deployed in Abadan, a city in central west of Iran where oil fields are located. Two days later they seized the Al Faw Peninsula, a strategic region under the Ottoman army's control, which was used for supply and shipment. At that point, the Ottoman Empire had moved their troops to more vital fronts such as the Dardanelles, Sarikamish and Palestine. The defence of entire Iraq was left to only a small number of soldiers from the 38th Division.

The British forces entered Basra without much difficulty and captured the strategically-located Qurna region, where the Tigris and Euphrates rivers meet, on November 9th, 1914. As the Ottomans tried to form a new line of defence, the British army was making plans to seize Baghdad.

rakamlarla-en.jpg

Ottoman secret service member becomes commander
Ottoman Secretary of War and Deputy Commander-in-Chief Enver Pasha appointed Lieutenant Colonel Suleyman Askeri as the commander of the forces in Iraq.

One of the founders of the Ottoman secret service, Suleyman Askeri, was hoped to fortify Ottoman defence by organising local tribes in Iraq like he previously did in Libya. He launched an offensive against British positions on April 12th, 1915, but lost. Unable to stand defeat, Askeri committed suicide, while Ottoman troops retreated to Nasiriyah.

Townshend's Letter Of Surrender

belge1.jpg

COMMUNIQUE NUMBER SIX

The GOC has sent the following letter to the Turkish Commander-in-Chief:

29 APRIL 1916
16/2/1332
Your Excellency,

Hunger forces me to lay down our arms, and I am ready to surrender to you my brave soliders, who have done their duty, as you affirmed when you said: "Your gallant troops will be the most sincere and precious guests."

Be generous then: they have done their duty. You have seen them in the Battle of Ctesiphon; you have seen them during the retirement; and you have seen them during the siege of Kut for the last five months, in which I have played the strategic role of blocking your counter-offensive and allowed time for our reinforcements to arrive in Iraq.

You have seen how they have done their duty, and I will be certain that the military history of this war will affirm this in a decisive manner.

I send two of my officers, Captain Morland and Major Gilchrist, to arrange details.

I am ready to put Kut into your hands at once, and go into your camp as soon as you can arrange details, but I pray to you to expedite the arrival of food.

I propose that your chief medical officer should visit my hospitals with my primary medical officer. He will be able to see for himself the state of some of my troops – there are some without arms and legs, some with scurvy. I do not suppose you wish to take these into captivity, and in fact the better course would be to let the wounded and sick go back to India.

The Chief of the Imperial Staff, London, wires me that the exchange of prisoners of war is permitted. An equal number of Turks in Egypt and India would be liberated for the same number of combatants.

Accept my high regards.

Charles Townshend

Major-General
Commanding 6th Division and Forces at Kut

I would also add to the above that there are strong grounds for hoping that the Turks will eventually agree to all being exchanged. I have received notification from the Turkish Commander-in-Chief, to say I can start for Constantinople soon. Having arrived there, I shall petition to be allowed to go to London on parole and see the Secretary of State for War and get you exchanged at once. In this way I hope to be of great assistance to you all.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your devotion to duty and your discipline and bravery, and may we meet soon in better times.

Kut-al-Amarah
29th April, 1916

Charles Townshend

Major-General
Commanding 6th Division​

Townshend%2C_Khalil_Pasha_after_Fall_of_Kut.jpg

Memoirs of Khalil Pasha
Historian and writer Şevket Süreyya Aydemir authored the memoirs of the victorious commander of the Battle of Kut al Amara, Khalil Pasha. The memoirs were serially published in the daily Akşam in 1967, 10 years after Khalil Pasha's death. Pasha's memoirs were collected into a book (titled Memoirs of the Kut al Amara Hero, Khalil Kut – Editor: Erhan Çifci) for the first time in honour of the 100th Anniversary of the Victory of Kut al Amara.

A sad farewell to Erzurum
Khalil Bey was only 33 years old when he was ordered to go on a campaign in Iraq and had not become a pasha yet. The 3rd Army's Right Wing, which he was a member of, was still at war with the Russians, but he was ordered to set off immediately.

"I visited the commander of the army in Erzurum, Mahmut Kamil Pasha before leaving the front. I still remember something he told me then. He held my hand, looked me in the eye and said in a sad voice: 'Khalil, you will go to Iraq and save Baghdad, but Erzurum will fall...' We separated in tears. Yes, we did save Baghdad - at least for a while. But Erzurum was going to fall and it did. I, on the other hand, had to run to Iraq with the 51st and 52nd divisions in my command. Problems were getting increasingly complicated."

A journey of life or death
Khalil Bey immediately departed. He was diagnosed with appendicitis while they were on the side of the Siirt Stream, but it was impossible to operate on him there. He could not ride a horse under the circumstances either. They made a make-shift raft with the sheepskin they got from the villagers. The commander, who suffering from severe pain, was placed on the raft and carried by the river.

"The situation was very bad. My appendicitis could burst, which would immediately lead to peritoneal inflammation. In short, I could die any minute. But I didn't. We went down to the south over the Siirt Stream. There was a terrifying silence around. But at the same time it was wildly magnificent. Finally, our raft reached Mosul."

E0K5ApTWUAAxYm9

British commander's memoirs of the Siege of Kut al Amara
In his book My Campaign in Mesopotamia, published in 1920, British General Charles Vere Ferres Townshend chronicles what happened during the 17-month period from the British troops' landing on the Gulf of Basra until their surrender to Khalil Pasha.

The Committee of Ottoman Military History, established by the order of Sultan Mehmet V, translated Townshend's book into Ottoman Turkish in a very short time and published it in 1921 with annotations to some of the British general's statements, which helped create an analysis of the war that attempted to reflect the opinion of both sides. This significant book has later been printed in modern Turkish as well.

British forces' landing in the Gulf of Basra
As the commander of the Sixth Indian Division of the British army, General Arthur Barrett got sick before the Battle of Shuaiba, Corps Commander General John Nixon appointed Charles Vere Ferrers Townshend, who was in India at the time, to the command of the division. Townshend immediately set off.

“We left Karachi at midnight on April 18-19, 1915 ... It took us five days to reach Basra. We arrived at al Faw early in the morning on April 23rd and by noon we reached Basra, 95-125 km to where Shatt al Arab flows into the sea. The weather in Basra was very hot."

Back
Top Bottom