What's new

Israel: New defense system can hit targets outside the atmosphere

THAAD is comparable to Arrow 2 with better range but slower than Arrow 2.... Arrow 3 has more range than THAAD and Speed.... Infact Arrow 3 Has more range than AEGIS SM-3 missile...... Arrow 3 is comparable to AEGIS land based system called AEGIS Ashore.

The consensus is that the Arrow-3 has a Mach 9 intercept velocity, which is roughly comparable to that of the THAAD. We don't know the full range of the THAAD, but both it and the Arrow-3 are capable of intercepting targets outside of the Earth's atmosphere (likely defined by the Kármán line, or 100 km) so I ultimately expect the performance of the two systems to be comparable.

SM-3 (which is used for both sea-based AEGIS and AEGIS Ashore) is essentially the Navy's counterpart to the THAAD. There is little difference between the SM-3 and the AEGIS Ashore's missile; in fact, they are one and the same.

is it better than S-400 ?
S-400 max altitude is 30 km, Arrow-3 - over 100 km. Different class system.

US$2.2 million per interceptor is quite huge (especially compared to what they are meant to be shooting down), but I guess Israel does have the cash for it.
For space interceptor its tiny price. SM-3 and THAAD interceptor unit cost is over 11 million $.

The consensus is that the Arrow-3 has a Mach 9 intercept velocity, which is roughly comparable to that of the THAAD. We don't know the full range of the THAAD, but both it and the Arrow-3 are capable of intercepting targets outside of the Earth's atmosphere (likely defined by the Kármán line, or 100 km) so I ultimately expect the performance of the two systems to be comparable.

SM-3 (which is used for both sea-based AEGIS and AEGIS Ashore) is essentially the Navy's counterpart to the THAAD. There is little difference between the SM-3 and the AEGIS Ashore's missile; in fact, they are one and the same.
The Arrow 2 had the mach 9 speed, Arrow 3 speed is higher and its lighter than than the previous arrow 2, moreover more capable as well with 1500 miles range.... THAADS range is not more than 200KM....

The Arrow 2 had the mach 9 speed, Arrow 3 speed is higher and its lighter than than the previous arrow 2, moreover more capable as well with 1500 miles range.... THAADS range is not more than 200KM....

The Arrow-3 is noted to have a speed twice that of a tank shell (the M1A2's muzzle velocity is 1700 m/s), which roughly works out to be Mach 9.

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Israel-successfully-tests-Arrow-3-missile-defense

The THAAD has a range of over 200 km; nobody outside of the program knows what its true range is, so it's premature to conclude that the Arrow-3 has a longer reach.

The Arrow-3 is noted to have a speed twice that of a tank shell (the M1A2's muzzle velocity is 1700 m/s), which roughly works out to be Mach 9.

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Israel-successfully-tests-Arrow-3-missile-defense

The THAAD has a range of over 200 km; nobody outside of the program knows what its true range is, so it's premature to conclude that the Arrow-3 has a longer reach.
I have read many sources that state Arrow 3 has 1500 miles range and the speed is classified, anyway the interceptor doesn't have to be faster than the target it just has to meet it... AEGIS SM-3 IIA is said to be mach 15 which is a big upgrade compared to the current Mach 10 sm3 missiles they USA currently have.

think he is smaller than arrow 2 and longer range and atitude arrow 2 is 9 mach so arrow 3 i faster that what says iai and boing he is ninimum 15 mach

The new Arrow 3 system can also serve as anti satellite weapon

Back
Top Bottom