What's new

Isn't the concept of war crazy?

Genesis

Reaction score
Country
China
This concept of war, it's insane if you think about it. Sending young men, who really don't know their *** from a hole in the ground to fight for interests that are most likely not going to affect them in the entirety of their lives and more than a few of their decedents, if they make it out.

Be it terrorists, soldiers or any number of different designations for combatants, why would they charge to their death for arbitrary reasons. Freedom, honor, and whatever else.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm quite certain, a dead man has neither the need for freedom nor honor.

Sometimes I can see why people would go for it in the heat of the moment, but when I calm down, it just seems ridicules.

Certainly America has gained in the past due to her warring ways, but I can't see any of the ones wounded, dead or have PTSD having any benefit from it at all. Them, or their love ones.

Logically speaking, isn't the concept of war insane?

This concept of war, it's insane if you think about it. Sending young men, who really don't know their *** from a hole in the ground to fight for interests that are most likely not going to affect them in the entirety of their lives and more than a few of their decedents, if they make it out.

Be it terrorists, soldiers or any number of different designations for combatants, why would they charge to their death for arbitrary reasons. Freedom, honor, and whatever else.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm quite certain, a dead man has neither the need for freedom nor honor.

Sometimes I can see why people would go for it in the heat of the moment, but when I calm down, it just seems ridicules.

Certainly America has gained in the past due to her warring ways, but I can't see any of the ones wounded, dead or have PTSD having any benefit from it at all. Them, or their love ones.

Very good question, but first, you need to define what is "insane" and in what world it is considered "insane"

In your perspective, a war may be of no reason to exist. For you, your aim is probably get a good education, get a good job and maybe a girlfriend and/or wife, for all these, a war does not make sense. Simply because you are asking yourself to risk all these (great job, great education, wife, money, etc) to go into the nothingness.

But does that mean it was insane like you said? Not quite. The definition of insane in general is something that's senseless. The problem is, again, for you, maybe, but for other people, it may not.

A soldier's duty is not to reason why, but to do or die. For a soldier, a war is their job, they don't need to know, nor care who started it, the only thing they need to know is how to finish it. The problem is, unless you turn into a soldier, you will never experience war. And hence if you did this transformation, you have in yourself accepted this is the actual meaning of taking up the job, thus, a war to you, is not senseless anymore.

The problem as I see is, most people think about war in their own perspective, if you are not a soldier, you will never be involved in a war. And whether or not you volunteer to be a soldier or being drafted into the rank is another queston altogether. But for the people who actually required to fight the war. For them, it's never senseless, this is what you do to get pay.

In fact human beings are crazy. We were always crazy, are crazy now and become more crazy as days go by. So we need to live with this reality. War will be waged against us. And we will also do the same.

i would rather paint the walls of my home with the blood of my kin rather then compromising by freedom and my beliefs

to take up arms and violently (if need be) defend your beliefs, freedom or cause, to me is an honorable act.

Shouldn't you ask them first
:hitwall: heat of the moment i guess the guy up above is right ....... but i still would rather die and all that shit for freedom and cause and whatever the hell ..... if i want to fight i :sick:will fight if i want to smoke weed i'll smoke weed ...... but right now i think i'll have some fried chicken

:hitwall: heat of the moment i guess the guy up above is right ....... but i still would rather die and all that shit for freedom and cause and whatever the hell ..... if i want to fight i :sick:will fight if i want to smoke weed i'll smoke weed ...... but right now i think i'll have some fried chicken

Good plan, maybe I'll have some too. :enjoy:

Think the OP is having a moment of living in utopia it seems.

War is necessary as humans are not robots that can be programmed to behave within certain parameters - e.g accept what you have now and not strive for anything more.Even if 99.99999% of humans on this planet can be like the robots mentioned, the small minority wont be and some of them will one day get into a position of power and start a war.

As e along wre not robots and have free-will there will always be war. In essence, without war we will no longer be free-thinking beings.

In some cases it is most certainly necessary, like when the Soviets occupied Afghanistan. Other times, like when NATO occupied Afghanistan, not so much.

If you take gene centric view, dying in war is a form of sacrifice of the host so that genes can propagate through his/her kins. Dying for your people is an extreme form of altruism, and we are not the only one displaying such behavior.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_(biology)

Last edited:
Isn't the concept of war crazy?

Not at all. War is no less sane and no more crazy than any either human activity.

Carl von Clauswitz said that war is the continuation of politics by other means.

Essentially, von Clauswitz put war under politics via the phrasing 'continuation of politics', which inevitably demands the understanding of what is politics in the first place. At its core, politics is about the resolution of differences without violence. Politics demands and expects compromises. War is the most extremist of methods of settling disputes.

Back
Top Bottom