What's new

Is Venus humanity's next home?

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
NASA envisions a city of solar-powered helium airships above Earth's searing hot twin
  • The High Altitude Venus Operational Concept program would eventually send a manned mission to the atmosphere of Venus
  • Around 30 miles above the surface, Venus has temperatures and atmospheric pressure reminiscent of Earth's
  • A robot would first be sent to the Venus' atmosphere to test the waters -- a two-manned vehicle would follow
  • The project could one day pave the way toward a floating city above Venus
Why weather the bone-chilling rocky surface of Mars when you could call the clouds of Venus' earth-like upper atmosphere home?

That's the question posed by a NASA project that envisions a future where humans might live in solar-powered airships 31 miles above Earth's nearest neighbor.

Dubbed the High Altitude Venus Operational Concept (HAVOC) the project would first send a robotic scout to gauge the lay of the land (or clouds) followed by a 30-day manned mission in a zeppelin-style helium ship.

One day, a 'city' comprised of multiple space zeppelins would hover above Venus at a sweet spot where temperatures are around 167 degrees, according to IEEE.com.

That may sound hot, but at only 17 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Earth's highest recorded temperature it's downright cozy compared to the -81F chills on the surface of Mars.

That's at 30 miles above Venus only, of course. Thanks to a greenhouse gas heavy atmosphere, Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system with surface temperatures reaching 863F.

Dale Arney, whose helped dream up the idea with Chris Jones at NASA's Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate at Langley Research Center in Virginia, told IEEE:

'The vast majority of people, when they hear the idea of going to Venus and exploring, think of the surface, where it's hot enough to melt lead and the pressure is the same as if you were almost a mile underneath the ocean

'I think that not many people have gone and looked at the relatively much more hospitable atmosphere and how you might tackle operating there for a while.'

Once implemented, HAVOC would begin with an unmanned mission to Venus in which a 100-foot-long robotic solar-powered helium airship would test the waters, so to speak, in the planet's atmosphere.

A gondola beneath would contain instruments with which to take measurements of temperature and other factors in preparation for a manned mission.

If given the go-ahead, that manned mission would take two brave souls on a 110-day trip to Venus.

They would spend a month inside a habitat in a gondola below the airship.

At the end of the 30-day mission, the astronauts would ascend back through the atmosphere in a vehicle brought with them for that purpose.

The trip back would take 300 days, putting the astronauts back on Earth after 440 days.

A very optimistic mission to Mars--which is 33.9 million miles from Earth at its closest versus 25 million for Venus--would have astronauts in space a minimum of 500 days for a stay of the same length.

The next step would be a year-long mission to Venus' atmosphere and then, in the more distant future, a permanent human settlement comprised of a floating city of airships.

Jones says the atmosphere above Venus is 'probably the most Earth-like environment that’s out there' and says its protection from the sun's radiation makes it almost preferable to Mars, which gets 40 times the amount of radiation as Earth.

In the Venus atmosphere, Jones says, you'd be exposed to 'about the same as if you were in Canada.'

For all the obstacles involved in a plan to get to Venus, stay a while and then return, Jones says it might actually be more practical than a trip to Mars.

'Venus has value as a destination in and of itself for exploration and colonization,

'There are things that you would need to do for a Mars mission, but we see a little easier path through Venus.'

Not possible.. Temperature of Venus is more than anything compared to earth.. that is 462 degree Celsius.. Also the atmosphere contains about 96.5% of Carbon dioxide.. Although other conditions are very much similar to Earth, temperature and CO2 wont allow humans to continue life there... Not to forget, Venus has high number of active volcanoes..

Not possible.. Temperature of Venus is more than anything compared to earth.. that is 462 degree Celsius.. Also the atmosphere contains about 96.5% of Carbon dioxide.. Although other conditions are very much similar to Earth, temperature and CO2 wont allow humans to continue life there... Not to forget, Venus has high number of active volcanoes..

Not on the surface, 30 miles above the surface of venus.

Why would I want to go to Venus? That place is toxic central - the clouds (where these ships would float) are sulfur dioxide!

NASA was planning to make mars habitable again too? What happened to that project?? :P

it will be yellow all around you day and night that's sooo depressed.

Not on the surface, 30 miles above the surface of venus.
dlag ot nowk hatt uyo rae tills livea.
The article says that the temperature is extremely high 30miles above the surface of venus but almost every other article says that the average temperature of Venus is 460 degrees Celsius and that it rains sulphuric acid on venus making it a very inhospitable planet.

thesolar65 said:
The trip back would take 300 days, putting the astronauts back on Earth after 440 days.
I dont think its going to happen anytime soon because NASA itself admits that most of its astronauts prefer going to moon over mars, so going to venus is a far fetched dream.

Last edited:
There will be a time when we will have a presence on Venus for sure. The clouds are a perfect place for that. Im relative sure that we will have an outpost on evry single world. Be it venus, mars or iapetus. evry place demands other technology. I would love to see venus.

dlag ot nowk hatt uyo rae tills livea.
The article says that the temperature is extremely high 30miles above the surface of venus but almost every other article says that the average temperature of Venus is 460 degrees Celsius and that it rains sulphuric acid on venus making it a very inhospitable planet.

Not extremely high.

According to the article, "That may sound hot, but at only 17 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Earth's highest recorded temperature it's downright cozy compared to the -81F chills on the surface of Mars. That's at 30 miles above Venus only, of course. Thanks to a greenhouse gas heavy atmosphere, Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system with surface temperatures reaching 863F"

P.S:I am still around, just don't post as much.

NASA envisions a city of solar-powered helium airships above Earth's searing hot twin
  • The High Altitude Venus Operational Concept program would eventually send a manned mission to the atmosphere of Venus
  • Around 30 miles above the surface, Venus has temperatures and atmospheric pressure reminiscent of Earth's
  • A robot would first be sent to the Venus' atmosphere to test the waters -- a two-manned vehicle would follow
  • The project could one day pave the way toward a floating city above Venus
Why weather the bone-chilling rocky surface of Mars when you could call the clouds of Venus' earth-like upper atmosphere home?

That's the question posed by a NASA project that envisions a future where humans might live in solar-powered airships 31 miles above Earth's nearest neighbor.

Dubbed the High Altitude Venus Operational Concept (HAVOC) the project would first send a robotic scout to gauge the lay of the land (or clouds) followed by a 30-day manned mission in a zeppelin-style helium ship.

One day, a 'city' comprised of multiple space zeppelins would hover above Venus at a sweet spot where temperatures are around 167 degrees, according to IEEE.com.

That may sound hot, but at only 17 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Earth's highest recorded temperature it's downright cozy compared to the -81F chills on the surface of Mars.

That's at 30 miles above Venus only, of course. Thanks to a greenhouse gas heavy atmosphere, Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system with surface temperatures reaching 863F.

Dale Arney, whose helped dream up the idea with Chris Jones at NASA's Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate at Langley Research Center in Virginia, told IEEE:

'The vast majority of people, when they hear the idea of going to Venus and exploring, think of the surface, where it's hot enough to melt lead and the pressure is the same as if you were almost a mile underneath the ocean

'I think that not many people have gone and looked at the relatively much more hospitable atmosphere and how you might tackle operating there for a while.'

Once implemented, HAVOC would begin with an unmanned mission to Venus in which a 100-foot-long robotic solar-powered helium airship would test the waters, so to speak, in the planet's atmosphere.

A gondola beneath would contain instruments with which to take measurements of temperature and other factors in preparation for a manned mission.

If given the go-ahead, that manned mission would take two brave souls on a 110-day trip to Venus.

They would spend a month inside a habitat in a gondola below the airship.

At the end of the 30-day mission, the astronauts would ascend back through the atmosphere in a vehicle brought with them for that purpose.

A very optimistic mission to Mars--which is 33.9 million miles from Earth at its closest versus 25 million for Venus--would have astronauts in space a minimum of 500 days for a stay of the same length.

The next step would be a year-long mission to Venus' atmosphere and then, in the more distant future, a permanent human settlement comprised of a floating city of airships.

Jones says the atmosphere above Venus is 'probably the most Earth-like environment that’s out there' and says its protection from the sun's radiation makes it almost preferable to Mars, which gets 40 times the amount of radiation as Earth.

In the Venus atmosphere, Jones says, you'd be exposed to 'about the same as if you were in Canada.'

For all the obstacles involved in a plan to get to Venus, stay a while and then return, Jones says it might actually be more practical than a trip to Mars.

'Venus has value as a destination in and of itself for exploration and colonization,

'There are things that you would need to do for a Mars mission, but we see a little easier path through Venus.'
It's planned above the clouds. But if the ship(zeppelin actually :D ) descends, it will be dissolved in Sulphruic acid clouds!

Not extremely high.

According to the article, "That may sound hot, but at only 17 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than Earth's highest recorded temperature it's downright cozy compared to the -81F chills on the surface of Mars. That's at 30 miles above Venus only, of course. Thanks to a greenhouse gas heavy atmosphere, Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system with surface temperatures reaching 863F"
I read that part in the article but somehow every other article that I have read gives me an impression that temperature on venus is high.

The average temperature on Venus is 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius). Temperature changes slightly traveling through the atmosphere, growing cooler farther away from the surface. Lead would melt on the surface of the planet, where the temperature is around 872 F (467 C).
How Hot is Venus?

I'm confused now.

P.S:I am still around, just don't post as much.
ladg!!

Terraform Mars.

Then bring in General Zod and team!!:D

Why would I want to go to Venus?

But we all men go to "Venus trap", isn't it??...:D

I dont think its going to happen anytime soon because NASA itself admits that most of its astronauts prefer going to moon over mars, so going to venus is a far fetched dream.

I think, NASA some times gives themes or projects or asks about ideas all across the globe to different school and colleges. And out of those some gives very practical ideas. I think this is one of the great ideas, but far fetched nonetheless!!

There will be a time when we will have a presence on Venus for sure. The clouds are a perfect place for that. Im relative sure that we will have an outpost on evry single world. Be it venus, mars or iapetus. evry place demands other technology. I would love to see venus.

Venus may be habitable, but not now. As the sun will loose its energy, it will be cooler and so the Venus atmosphere (Though I don't know if the temperature comes from within). But it will be for a shorter period wrt to cosmic time, as Sun will turn into a red giant engulfing both Venus and mercury.

Venus may be habitable, but not now. As the sun will loose its energy, it will be cooler and so the Venus atmosphere (Though I don't know if the temperature comes from within). But it will be for a shorter period wrt to cosmic time, as Sun will turn into a red giant engulfing both Venus and mercury.
I had read it somewhere that right now the surface of venus is smooth compared to earth showing that there's not much tectonic activity on venus( as it lags behind earth when its comes to geological timescale)and once that starts venus would have many active volcanoes ergo making it inhospitable.

Back
Top Bottom