What's new

IS UK living standard lower than Germany ?

eddieInUK

Reaction score
Many German I have met in UK complained that the salary is lower than that in Germany, while the living cost is higher than German (food and rent/house prices). To be specific, I live in London and my German friends are from large cities like Berlin, Frankfurt. Any data sources or analysis could be given ?

Many German I have met in UK complained that the salary is lower than that in Germany, while the living cost is higher than German (food and rent/house prices). To be specific, I live in London and my German friends are from large cities like Berlin, Frankfurt. Any data sources or analysis could be given ?
Basically the same Swiss people are saying about Germany. :D

Btw heres your answer:

UK standard of living rises to fourth highest in EU | Money | The Guardian

Germany has safe streets, little overcrowding, good schools, controlled borders,workable infrastructure and hospitals you won't catch a deadly virus in.

I got hit with culture shock when I first went to the UK form Germany, can you imagine that? Compared to Germany, England looked like a 2nd world country. The infrastructure was in an abysmal condition and I had never seen so many black and brown faces in Europe before. I think the standard of living in Germany is far better. The towns are small and clean, and the crime rate is also quite low. The German girls are also fitter than the English girls. I don't want to badmouth England, it has its won positive sides. But there is hardly any department in which Germany doesn't have the edge over England.

I got hit with culture shock when I first went to the UK form Germany, can you imagine that? Compared to Germany, England looked like a 2nd world country. The infrastructure was in an abysmal condition and I had never seen so many black and brown faces in Europe before. I think the standard of living in Germany is far better. The towns are small and clean, and the crime rate is also quite low. The German girls are also fitter than the English girls. I don't want to badmouth England, it has its won positive sides. But there is hardly any department in which Germany doesn't have the edge over England.
I think that's the Britain Churchill wanted.

Of course it is, Germany has a higher GDP and is known for its seriousness/strictness and adherence to regulations to the point of being anal which makes everything run quite well. Germany is a really nice country with really nice very intelligent people who work harder than anyone ive ever met but because of those things its also pretty boring, cant say I love life in the UK but its top 10 any day of the week. Dont think I could live in Germany because when I have been there its just fairly dull, its great at Christmas and Munich and beer cant be beaten aswell as the hospitality, great living conditions but aslong as your living in a fairly decent country your not going to live that different.

I think that's the Britain Churchill wanted.
I think he went to London.

List of Top Ten Countries with Highest Quality of Life in the World
HDI rank Developed Country Human Development Index(HDI) Quintile income ratio Income Gini Value
1 Norway 0.943 3.9 25.8
2 Australia 0.929 7
3 Netherlands 0.91 5.1
4 United States 0.91 8.5 40.8
5 New Zealand 0.908 6.8
6 Canada 0.908 5.5 32.6
7 Ireland 0.908 5.7 34.3
8 Liechtenstein 0.905
9 Germany 0.905 4.3 28.3
10 Sweden 0.904 4 25
Countries by Standard of Living (Highest Quality of Life) - World Top Ten
Note the absense of UK (comes in at 28th place ...in 2011.)
Human Development Index - Top 50 Countries with the highest human development ranking

or see Top Countries On OECD Better Life Index - Business Insider
Note absense of Germany in thew top 14....

Stilll....
UK standard of living rises to fourth highest in EU...
Figures from the European Union
Four nations, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and the UK were then jointly ranked in fourth place.
UK standard of living rises to fourth highest in EU | Money | The Guardian

Standard of living - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom