What's new

Is this meme (Persian contributions to islamic Golden age)fair?

Maula Jatt

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
GridArt_20230124_184449937.jpg
it's a somewhat popular opinion but imo is exaddurated and unfair, Arabs contributed a lot, al Andalus had little Persian presence but was still central to islamic Golden age

Greek and south Asian knowledge specifically Indus regions of Pakistan also played an important role which is often times overlooked

@Mirzali Khan @xeuss @hydrabadi_arab @M. Sarmad @Talwar e Pakistan

Last edited:
View attachment 913009 it's a somewhat popular opinion but imo is exaddurated and unfair, Arabs contributed a lot, al Andalus had little Persian presence but was still central to islamic Golden age

Greek and south Asian knowledge specifically Indus regions of Pakistan also played an important role which is often times overlooked

I think it has to do with media exposure and how much people get their word out of their histories.

This doesn’t mean that Persians never contributed they certainly did and it’s definitely not over mentioned but the Islamic Golden Age could be seen everywhere in this era.

Most scientists and scholars of islamic golden age were persian(iranian).
But it was "islamic" golden age and all islamic nations had its role.
Yes, this meme looks like it's created and liked by the secular nationalist iranians.

View attachment 913009 it's a somewhat popular opinion but imo is exaddurated and unfair, Arabs contributed a lot, al Andalus had little Persian presence but was still central to islamic Golden age

If you go by Bakshali manuscripts that were discovered in 1800 near bakshali village near Peshawar, which dates back to about 200 CE, it is not an exaggeration that mathematics had its roots in indus region, predating mathematician and astronomer Aryabhata (476CE) of Patna, Bihar. This discovery predates Islamic Renaissance.

The tradition is ongoing even in our times:

20170202_STEM.jpg

Prestigious "Leiden Ranking 2022" for world university rankings
Among Islamic countries, Iran ranks first with 44 universities, Turkey ranks second with 32 universities and Egypt ranks third with 10 universities.
Omar_Khayam.jpg

Iranian polymath..Omar_khayam 11th century

Last edited:
Most scientists and scholars of islamic golden age were persian(iranian).
But it was "islamic" golden age and all islamic nations had its role.

How are you saying that ? I being a Communist am anti-tribalism because it is an irrational concept and humankind is a single race but I must ask you your basis of argument.

Ismail al-Jazari, the engineer and the inventor who made mechanical machines was the originator of the the stream of innovation that leads us to discuss on computers on PDF. He inspired Leonardo da Vinci. Ismail wasn't Irani but from non-Irani background from an area that was the conjunction between modern Iran, Syria and Turkey. Al-Jahiz was the first person to propound Evolution Theory a thousand years before Darwin ( @Indos, you must read of this man ). He wrote :

On the Zanj ("Swahili coast")​

Concerning the Zanj, he wrote:

Everybody agrees that there is no people on earth in whom generosity is as universally well developed as the Zanj. These people have a natural talent for dancing to the rhythm of the tambourine, without needing to learn it. There are no better singers anywhere in the world, no people more polished and eloquent, and no people less given to insulting language. No other nation can surpass them in bodily strength and physical toughness. One of them will lift huge blocks and carry heavy loads that would be beyond the strength of most Bedouins or members of other races. They are courageous, energetic, and generous, which are the virtues of nobility, and also good-tempered and with little propensity to evil. They are always cheerful, smiling, and devoid of malice, which is a sign of noble character.
The Zanj say that God did not make them black to disfigure them; rather it is their environment that made them so. The best evidence of this is that there are black tribes among the Arabs, such as the Banu Sulaim bin Mansur, and that all the peoples settled in the Harra, besides the Banu Sulaim are black. These tribes take slaves from among the Ashban to mind their flocks and for irrigation work, manual labor, and domestic service, and their wives from among the Byzantines; and yet it takes less than three generations for the Harra to give them all the complexion of the Banu Sulaim. This Harra is such that the gazelles, ostriches, insects, wolves, foxes, sheep, asses, horses and birds that live there are all black. White and black are the results of environment, the natural properties of water and soil, distance from the sun, and intensity of heat. There is no question of metamorphosis, or of punishment, disfigurement or favor meted out by Allah. Besides, the land of the Banu Sulaim has much in common with the land of the Turks, where the camels, beasts of burden, and everything belonging to these people is similar in appearance: everything of theirs has a Turkish look.

Compared to the intelligence and considered thought that Al-Jahiz wrote the Iranis could only write hadiths which mostly are fabrications and hear-say, works where female prostitutes are condemned but dogs are celebrated. Cheers. :lol:

And then there is Tipu Sultan of India of the late 1700s under whose leadership the field of rocketry saw development. The British took it to Europe and it spread and the Iranis now use it too. Tipu was a very progressive administrator who confiscated land from casteist upper caste Hindus and distributed them to the lower caste Hindus who had been genetically oppressed since 1000 BC by the Brahmanvadis who came from Iran round about that time and established the caste system and the most feudalist and Capitalist system in human history. Tipu was a student of the French Revolution and is said to have established a Jacobins Club in Mysore city. If he hadn't been killed by a coalition of five armies led by the British and had lived on for 43 years he would have been the first in India to introduce Marxist Communism to Indians. And the terrorist Irani military of now uses the rockets of the Communist and progressive Tipu to target Kurd bases in Iraq because they are perceived to be helping the progressives of Iran who are in the revolution since September 2022 for overthrowing the mullahs. Tipu the Communist has his rockets being used by mullahs. :rofl:

Lastly, the five-prayer-a-day thing among Muslims now is an adaptation from Iran's Zarthushti / Zoroastrian religion. Perhaps this is the contribution you speak of ? :)

Yes, this meme looks like it's created and liked by the secular nationalist iranians.

??

Was there an Iran or Persia during Islamic Golden age?

Iran has always been the historic name I think and
means "Land of the Aryans". Persia is the Greek name for a Southern Irani area called "Parsa" and now "Fars". From Wikipedia page "Iran ( word )" :

In pre-Islamic usage[edit]​

The word ērān is first attested in the inscriptions that accompany the investiture relief of Ardashir I (r. 224–242) at Naqsh-e Rustam.[2] In this bilingual inscription, the king calls himself "Ardashir, king of kings of the Iranians" (Middle Persian: ardašīr šāhān šāh ī ērān; Parthian: ardašīr šāhān šāh ī aryān).[2] The Middle Iranian ērān/aryān are oblique plural forms of gentilic ēr- (Middle Persian) and ary- (Parthian), which in turn both derive from Old Iranian *arya-, meaning "'Aryan,' i.e., 'of the Iranians.'"[2][4] This Old Iranian *arya- is attested as an ethnic designator in Achaemenid inscriptions as Old Persian ariya-, and in Zoroastrianism's Avesta tradition as Avestan airiia-/airya, etc.[5][n 1] It is "very likely"[2] that Ardashir I's use of Middle Iranian ērān/aryān still retained the same meaning as did in Old Iranian, i.e. denoting the people rather than the empire.

As for Islamic Golden Age, these are supposed to be the original letters that Hazrat Muhammad wrote to the rulers of Egypt, Ethiopia, the Roman emperor of the Byzantine empire, the ruler of Bahrain, the prince of Yemen, the ruler of Syria and of course the ruler of Iran, Khusro. I don't know if these letters are indeed original or later copies but anyone knowing Arabic ( I don't ) can have a look at the photos of these letters and see if the reference to Iran is "Iran" or "Fars" or "Parsa" or "Persia" or "Ajam" but even so, if the letters are later copies we won't know what name was actually used for Iran.

The tradition is ongoing even in our times:

View attachment 913134
Prestigious "Leiden Ranking 2022" for world university rankings
Among Islamic countries, Iran ranks first with 44 universities, Turkey ranks second with 32 universities and Egypt ranks third with 10 universities.
View attachment 913135
Iranian polymath..Omar_khayam 11th century

Oh stop it ! Name a Irani microprocessor, operating system, computer storage system and spacecraft. Your "indigenous" rocket engines are from DPRK - godless commie North Korea. :lol: Ghanta to your "Prestigious Leiden Ranking 2022". :lol:

How are you saying that ? I being a Communist am anti-tribalism because it is an irrational concept and humankind is a single race but I must ask you your basis of argument.

Ismail al-Jazari, the engineer and the inventor who made mechanical machines was the originator of the the stream of innovation that leads us to discuss on computers on PDF. He inspired Leonardo da Vinci. Ismail wasn't Irani but from non-Irani background from an area that was the conjunction between modern Iran, Syria and Turkey. Al-Jahiz was the first person to propound Evolution Theory a thousand years before Darwin ( @Indos, you must read of this man ). He wrote :

Lastly, the five-prayer-a-day thing among Muslims now is an adaptation from Iran's Zarthushti / Zoroastrian religion. Perhaps this is the contribution you speak of ? :)

??

means "Land of the Aryans". Persia is the Greek name for a Southern Irani area called "Parsa" and now "Fars". From Wikipedia page "Iran ( word )" :

As for Islamic Golden Age, these are supposed to be the original letters that Hazrat Muhammad wrote to the rulers of Egypt, Ethiopia, the Roman emperor of the Byzantine empire, the ruler of Bahrain, the prince of Yemen, the ruler of Syria and of course the ruler of Iran, Khusro. I don't know if these letters are indeed original or later copies but anyone knowing Arabic ( I don't ) can have a look at the photos of these letters and see if the reference to Iran is "Iran" or "Fars" or "Parsa" or "Persia" or "Ajam" but even so, if the letters are later copies we won't know what name was actually used for Iran.
th

Yeah no, its mostly anti Muslim bigots who try to discount Islamic contributions.
It's no coincidence that science thrived under Muslim rule especially in Baghdad.
Iranian scientists were extraordinary geniuses and no one can deny their impact but they existed mostly under the Abbasid Caliphate. Andalus, Ummayids, and Fatimids were mostly Arab.

For example Al Ḥasan Ibn al-Haytham, Latinized as Alhazen is an Arab who is considered to be the first true scientist, the creator of the scientific method and is also the father of optics.

??

All I put there was two statistics from International organizations and you went through "Grief"..but it is normal..acceptance takes time..:p:
The 5 stages of Grief:
  1. Denial
  2. Anger (this is where you are now!)
  3. Bargaining
  4. Depression
  5. Acceptance
I come back when you are at stage 5..:azn::azn:

If you go by Bakshali manuscripts that were discovered in 1800 near bakshali village near Peshawar, which dates back to about 200 CE, it is not an exaggeration that mathematics had its roots in indus region, predating mathematician and astronomer Aryabhata (476CE) of Patna, Bihar. This discovery predates Islamic Renaissance.

Can always count on indians to shamelessly plug their achievements.
This is a thread on the islamic golden age. Not about general advancements in science.

The majority of the Muslim golden age is attributed to Persians correctly because they were the majority of Muslims in that time. They were the first people to convert to Islam outside of the Arabs of the Hejaz. Their contribution to Islamic sciences, particularly Sunnism, is huge. They had almost no part in Shia development though, ironically, which was almost completely an Arab movement.

To be fair, there were a lot of Arabs that contributed to Islamic thought as well. Islamic sciences as well. More and more so after the dwindling of the golden age period.

Back
Top Bottom