What's new

Is south Korea the second largest pop culture exporter

"It used to be that the first thing most Brits would do on checking into an American hotel room was to scroll through the extraordinary smorgasbord of telly, knowing there were only five stations on the menu back home. But today we have up to 529 channels on offer, making the Americans look bereft of choice."

haha!! Well my cable channels go up to the 1700's (of course some are pay channels)

Naaah...I disagree.

What do we know of medieval time as in Shakespeare ? Plenty enough, but we always hunger for different perspectives on what life was like when The Bard was observing and making his commentaries on his fellow blokes. Same with Japanese for Japan during the Shogunate. Same with Americans with our Wild West.

Recently, I finally get around to see HBO's Rome and was impressed. We all know the story about Caesar but how HBO and the BBC took it make this version more visceral and probably more real than the previous portrayal of ancient Rome via I, Claudius, which to me was too sterile in all ways. Ancient Rome was dirty and brutal. On the other hand, 300 was outright a comic book portrayal of what happened at Thermopylae that no one took seriously on how real Greeks and Persians actually were.

I do not see anyone really cloning anyone else's ideas. Rather, I see variations of the same events, persons, or fictions that requires a lot of creative thoughts to make the movie reasonably enjoyable while still reminds the audience of its origin. As little as I watch TV and movies, I welcome these kinds of adaptations, collaborations, or even outright poaching among the artists. Let the people speak with their monies, I say.

well, I am not saying we copy all the time, but we do took many "remake" these day then we used to be.

When you look at the 80s or 90s in Hollywood, you see all sort of idea blooming, the only reason why Hollywood having the influence now is simply because the US is the only country you don't need to go thru proper channel to pop out a TV series or movie, unlike most other country, TV/Movie Production is centralised

But now, original idea is not as much as used to be, yeah we still did not copy exactly what the other stuff, but when you look at original idea, that is not much showing these day. And most TV station actually gone for direct stream or remake of foreign TV program to save money on production these day. And the handful of Original Channel Is simply going.

We need to put more money into production company, especially the smaller one, I used to work in the TV/Movie Industry and I saw most of the good people have good idea just did not have money for them to give them a chance, and yet meanwhile the Channel/Affiliation usually shot down these small guys because they don't want to put money in it, which is the reason why I moved North First, then across the channel and work in TV sector in the UK...

seriously, in Asia, few ppl watch British dramas, but a lot of them watch Korean dramas

My gf like to watch Dawnton Abby. We are Americans so we like American and English shows. Like dr who.

In Asia, I'm sure Asian drama is more popular. So this is just cultural differences.

korean thriller films are awesome and their korean tv series are very popular in asia and south america.
korean AV is getting better too. The women and the men need to shave. It's fucking nasty, lol.

korean AV is getting better too. The women and the men need to shave. It's fucking nasty, lol.

I believe its actually illegal in Korea to produce AV. they have alot of the same laws we have regarding morality. Japan is a totally western country in this aspect.

well, I am not saying we copy all the time, but we do took many "remake" these day then we used to be.

When you look at the 80s or 90s in Hollywood, you see all sort of idea blooming, the only reason why Hollywood having the influence now is simply because the US is the only country you don't need to go thru proper channel to pop out a TV series or movie, unlike most other country, TV/Movie Production is centralised
Supposedly the movie The Warriors was inspired by the ancient Greek tale of Anabasis...

Anabasis (Xenophon) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think true originality is rare to start and I think given the speed of information transfer today, across continents and borders, true originality is even rarer today, no matter what country and culture you have. However, I do not see that as a negative. You must cater to your target audience and if adaptation of an old story or one across the borders will be enough to convey whatever messages you want and entertain at the same time, your creativity will put your reputation on the line no matter the origin of whatever it is you want to tell.

Supposedly the movie The Warriors was inspired by the ancient Greek tale of Anabasis...

Anabasis (Xenophon) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think true originality is rare to start and I think given the speed of information transfer today, across continents and borders, true originality is even rarer today, no matter what country and culture you have. However, I do not see that as a negative. You must cater to your target audience and if adaptation of an old story or one across the borders will be enough to convey whatever messages you want and entertain at the same time, your creativity will put your reputation on the line no matter the origin of whatever it is you want to tell.

lol.....maybe I should be clearer

There are plenty of original idea out there, American Writer never stop turning out original idea, problem, as I see is that Production Company and the Big 4 (CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS) don't usually buy into original idea.

Back when I was working as a Military Advisor to a small movie production company, I see tons of ideas and script pass thru the office, but no one was interested in it, and then you can't sell them to the Big 4 and green light the project. Then the further those ideas goes stays in a file cabinet on some production office waiting to be pick up by someone, who have money to invest.

on the other hand, Big 4 generally don't want to invest into something new, and something cost. See, it cost money to produce a movie or TV series from ground up, in the business we called "Lifted the Idea" and you have to hire heck a lot of people like screen writer, script writer, directional aide, and market research, and when there is time everyone is hopping on the "Vampire" theme (I think you know what I talked about) then it's a lot easy to buy any idea related to sucking blood and romance. Basically trend is what killing original idea.

We need some big name who actually take the risk to bet on the little guy, but things has change, as I seems to remember in the 80s, Production Company used to do that, not now, not anymore..

:pissed:

You may have an edge in television, but Swedish Pop is world renowned.

The Swedish Invasion - The New Yorker

Why Sweden's sway on pop music is rocking the charts around the world

Our electronic isn't bad either:dance3:.

Personally I'm a fan of another Swedish product

Robin is crap, you better goes with ABBA

seriously, in Asia, few ppl watch British dramas, but a lot of them watch Korean dramas

True i said that several times on my orevious posts remember??
I clearly said S.Korean T.V shows are more popular/mainstream in Asia(East Asia mostly) especially in China. But worldwide they are nowhere near U.S and U.K. however, for a country their size, they arent doing bad at all.

British shows have also been gaining some ground in China recently .

China Sites Embrace British Invasion - China Real Time Report - WSJ

Sherlock Holmes gets 69 MILLION viewers in China - despite it being BANNED for being 'too risque' by Chinese authorities | Daily Mail Online

Study: British TV Dramas Gaining Traction Among Chinese Elite - Hollywood Reporter

Chinese viewers in their millions are captivated by western television hits | World news | The Guardian

Chinese demand for British TV shows rises 40% | Media | The Guardian

Not bad at all. Hopefully they grow even more in future and catch up with S.Korean and U.S shows in China. Win-win for both of us. :)

Ahahahah....nihonji gave you negative reason for the 'hairy' comment. @Nihonjin1051 so you like it hairy huh??:lol:

I don't mind as well. ;)

lol.....maybe I should be clearer

There are plenty of original idea out there, American Writer never stop turning out original idea, problem, as I see is that Production Company and the Big 4 (CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS) don't usually buy into original idea.

Back when I was working as a Military Advisor to a small movie production company, I see tons of ideas and script pass thru the office, but no one was interested in it, and then you can't sell them to the Big 4 and green light the project. Then the further those ideas goes stays in a file cabinet on some production office waiting to be pick up by someone, who have money to invest.

on the other hand, Big 4 generally don't want to invest into something new, and something cost. See, it cost money to produce a movie or TV series from ground up, in the business we called "Lifted the Idea" and you have to hire heck a lot of people like screen writer, script writer, directional aide, and market research, and when there is time everyone is hopping on the "Vampire" theme (I think you know what I talked about) then it's a lot easy to buy any idea related to sucking blood and romance. Basically trend is what killing original idea.

We need some big name who actually take the risk to bet on the little guy, but things has change, as I seems to remember in the 80s, Production Company used to do that, not now, not anymore..
I understand what you said earlier. My point -- maybe am being too kind -- is that remakes requires a certain amount of creative efforts themselves, and I have read arguments as to why sometimes the creative efforts are the same as trying to be original.

Take Saving Private Ryan, for example. I doubt that anyone is going to even try on paper of remaking that. No telling of a story is perfect or is completely satisfactory to its creator, but sometimes a movie telling a story was done so well that no one will even attempt to retell it. Saving Private Ryan is one end of find storytelling, on the other end is the almost campy Top Gun that I doubt anyone will try to remake that. For the real Top Gun school, supposedly there is a fine for anyone who quote the movie.

Movies tell stories and by extension entertains. Sure there are different kinds of entertainment, some cerebral, some visceral, and some just plain for laughs. If a formula works for the day, it will be followed until it no longer make money.

:pissed:

You may have an edge in television, but Swedish Pop is world renowned.

The Swedish Invasion - The New Yorker

Why Sweden's sway on pop music is rocking the charts around the world

Our electronic isn't bad either:dance3:.

Personally I'm a fan of another Swedish product

Ahahahah sweden isnt doing bad. you got very beautiful blondie girls as well. Had a nice experience with a few when i was a teen on holidays in sweden with my mates. :p:

From this article i quote:
"Britain is second only to the USA in our success at exporting the music of our artists to the world. Although as a nation we may only account for about 1% of the global population, one in eight albums sold everywhere in the world is by a British artist."

UK Music Is Taking Over the World One Gig at a Time | Mark Hillary

Not bad for a 'small' island isnt it? Lol. So when it comes to even pop/music sweden is still way behind us, sorry my friend.

British music industry added £3.8bn to the UK economy in 2013 | Music | The Guardian

The US love affair with British pop - BBC News

Last edited:
Korean culture is the old culture that China has lost. You cannot produce the same kind of movie and pop in China because people do not have certain belief.

Only Taiwan, Japan and Korea is able to produce a kind of movie that move people, telling people of noble ideas.

N3XJmOh7_400x400.jpeg

I am a fan of Song Ji Hyo

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom